1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Does Bert and Ernie's apartment still exist?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by minor muppetz, Mar 13, 2017.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since Bert and Ernie's apartment has been seen on the show (in part because it's been a long time since there were a lot of new Bert and Ernie segments.... at least in America), and one thing I've been wondering is if their apartment living room/bedroom set still exists or if it's been in storage after all these years when we haven't seen it.

The episode where their apartment got flooded would have been a good episode to show it, but as far as I know it wasn't (I actually can't remember whether I've seen that street story or if I'm just going by what I saw at Muppet Wiki). It might have been hard to show water in their apartment (though they probably could have done computer animation.... and back in the 1970s, long before computer effects were used in a major way, there had been segments where rooms were shown to be flooded). The many Bert and Ernie segments produced internationally all take place at either a park or in front of a blue background. And the thing that finally prompted me to talk about it in a forum post came after I saw a still from the recent celebrity version of Rubber Duckie, one that showed Bert and Ernie in what looked like a computer animated room (or it could have been illustrated... either way, they would have needed to use greenscreen) as opposed to their own apartment set (though I'm not sure if that was meant to be the living room or the bathroom... and a number of different bathroom sets have been used over the years).

2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

That's a good question. Now that they're not playing the classic clips anymore, they're just using B & E in street scenes. They really should make some new inserts showing the apartment or maybe even a full street story.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Seems like I recall seeing the inside of their apartment within the last two or three years, maybe, and it looked slightly updated . . . not sure how I would describe, since I'm only going by memory, but it didn't seem as "plain"-looking as it traditionally does. I'm sure Shane can either confirm or deny this.

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, the last we saw of their apartment was in the 2008 home video Count on Sports. Although, there were a few segments with the apartment made exclusively for the Dutch version of the show.

5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

The last use I know of was the "I Wonder" song from 2010.

I don't think they've used it since because A. Steve's availability limiting their screen time and B. they've done stuff mainly for international usage and they're set in parks and such to make the look more universal.

cahuenga likes this.
  6. Daffyfan2003

But now that Billy's performing Ernie I don't think Steve's availability would have that much to do with it.

7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they're not using E&B as much now, so it doesn't matter that he has a new performer.

8. Daffyfan2003

That's a big disappointment though. I thought that was the main reason for recasting him, so he could be used more.

9. OscarandTelly

OscarandTelly Member

It probably was the reason at the time in season 45. But then one year later in season 46 the format changed and now their main focus is on 6 characters.

10. D'Snowth

Maybe Ernie and Bert got evicted with Gordon, Susan, Maria, and Luis. Maybe Elmo and his daddy are the only ones who live in that building now.

11. Daffyfan2003

I see, well if they can increase the number from 6 to 8 to include B & E that would be a big improvement.

12. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

1) Ernie and Bert made very recent appearances at the ends of videos for SS and way back in the Mannequin challenge

2) Should they even still live there because Oscar's can was moved to the front of their windows.

13. D'Snowth

Why would that matter? They somehow can see blue sky, white clouds, and in some cases even trees outside their windows.

14. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Remember, most of the first season sketches included trash cans in front of their windows. So it's almost an indirect throwback to 1969.

15. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Phillip likes this.
  16. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... Definitely wanna check this one out now.

17. HiHo3892

HiHo3892 New Member

The recent Sesame Street Christmas special had Ernie and Bert inviting everyone over to a party in their apartment. It exists. We just haven't seen it for a while.

18. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

48 years and they still live in the same basement. Just goes to show how expensive rent is in New York.

muppetgem likes this.
  19. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Better than living no where at all.

20. D'Snowth

Actually, Ernie and Bert lost their apartment several years ago, and Bert dumped Ernie altogether: