"Doin Things That Doozers Do" on Ebay

SillyRed

Reaction score
Here's the details for the next release and the good news is "Red's Club" is on there too!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO Hoo Hoo HOo!! :excited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
No "doozer music"?

well, looking at the contents and features, I guess this means that the 1984 video Doozer Music (which is way shorter than Fraggle Songs, which was on "where it all began") won't be included, unless that is the bonus episode (which would be a bit ridiculous, since it isn't really an episode). I'd rather have that than a Pingu episode.

On the somewhat bright side, it looks like one of the episodes that i expected (and hoped) to be on there, The Trial of Cotterpin Doozer, is included. :cool:

DerekJ

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
well, looking at the contents and features, I guess this means that the 1984 video Doozer Music (which is way shorter than Fraggle Songs, which was on "where it all began") won't be included, unless that is the bonus episode (which would be a bit ridiculous, since it isn't really an episode). I'd rather have that than a Pingu episode.
(<angry horn-beak:> Wak-waak!) :zany:

Personally, I'd rather have one five-minute Pingu than any thirty minutes of the Doozer episodes, but that's just my own old-school grudges against Jim's personal not-necessarily-equal-time Doozer-centrism....When it came to the Five, he just didn't care. :smirk:

On the somewhat bright side, it looks like one of the episodes that i expected (and hoped) to be on there, The Trial of Cotterpin Doozer, is included. :cool:
(Well, duh, not too many fans can even name a third Doozer episode beyond "Club", and it's one of ten for three slots, what're the odds against?)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
Personally, I'd rather have one five-minute Pingu than any thirty minutes of the Doozer episodes, but that's just my own old-school grudges against Jim's personal not-necessarily-equal-time Doozer-centrism....When it came to the Five, he just didn't care.
Well, I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but according to the Muppet Central Collectibles Guide, Doozer Music is only 16 minutes long.

What do you mean that Jim Henson didn't care about the main five fraggles?

baby sinclair

Reaction score
I agree with derek on the doozers are boring bit.the only reason i'm buying this disc along with season 1 is because its more fraggle episodes and i'm greedy.

Foodie

Reaction score
Gobo Is My Riding Beast

Ooooh! " Cavern of Lost Dreams " is on there! That's a nice Gobo-heavy episode. :smirk:

Nick

DerekJ

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
What do you mean that Jim Henson didn't care about the main five fraggles?
I mean, he didn't: The show as we know it was Jerry Juhl's baby from the beginning, and once it got rolling, Jim essentially let Juhl mind the baby, while he went off to create the Creature Shop's future with "Labyrinth".

Jim's original idea for "The International Show" was, quote, "Let's do a show about world peace".
And as far as Jim was concerned, that was as far as it went--An Educationally Allegorized Message, and the occasional cute song. (The fact that the first, and for a while, only, video ever put out was the bafflingly no-story-context "Fraggle Songs" was a pretty clear indicator of what the upper echelon of HA thought people tuned in the show for...Followed, of course, by the equally out-of-story-context "Doozer Music", since somebody--we're not sure who--was apparently stubborn about insisting they get "equal time".)

This was around the period just before Jim was being wooed away by Creature Shop animatronics, and even starting to trivialize and second-class their foam-puppet work as "kiddie stuff".
And it was becoming pretty clear what Jim liked best about the show--After a couple episodes with the Five (and basically treating the Five as their on-paper character-sketches), Jim pretty much only directed all-Doozer episodes, and stopped by for the occasional guest character...But go back and look at some of the interviews Jim did to promote the show before it went on the air, and you can see which of the creatures was already starting to get a little more screentime when the boss was around.

Happened to hear Juhl at an appearance, though, and yes, he was the one putting enthusiasm into building up the Rock portion of the universe--
In fact, most of the Five's cute off-character quirks--Red's fantasy novels, Mokey's new-age rituals, Lanford--usually came out of Juhl scripts.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised at the content, as far as "Red's Club" (which sort of marginalizes the Doozer role) and "Trial" (doesn't this episode, I presume, end the Doozer-Fraggle conflict once and for all?) I would've expected more Doozer-centric episodes, like "The Doozer Contest" and "Doozer is as Doozer Does", although either of these could be the bonus episode. I'm kinda thinking, tho, that the bonus episode will be one of the ones that again, kind of marginalizes the Doozers, like "Boober and the Glob" or "Gunge, the Great and Glorious".

Anyone know what the bonus episode is?

And personally, I kinda like the Doozers, and I LOVE that Doozerdome set (what? It was cool-looking!) "All Work and All Play" and "Doozer is as Doozer Does" are two favorites of mine. "Doozer Contest" and "Cavern of Lost Dreams" are okay, not favorites.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole