Don Music Appreciation Thread

dietrich

Reaction score
Here is a thread dedicated to one of our favorite characters Don Music. Please share your favorite moments whether in a sketch or on the street.

One thing I always liked about Don was whenever they gave him a street scene he was a much more positive character. What are your favorites?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I liked a lot of them: His version of the "Sesame Street" theme, "Mary Had a Bicycle," "Whistle, Whistle Little Bird, etc."

I agree with what you said about him being a positive character in street scenes though. I think they should keep him around. They'd just have to find a new performer for him and not have him bang his head.

BlueAM

Reaction score
Oh, I'LL NEVER GET IT RIGHT! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

I love "Mary Had a Bicycle", and the skit about the Declaration of Independence when he was Thomas Jefferson.

I've noticed a parallel between the complaints concerning kids imitating his head-banging shtick and the complaints concerning kids imitating the stunts of the Three Stooges. What do you think?

BlueAM

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Glad to see an appreciation thread for Don Music!!! I love this character. He was great to see when rewriting nursery rhymes (with Kermit's help! :smile: ) and I remember him banging his head on the piano when he couldn't figure it out. He also had a bust of Beethoven on his piano, like Rowlf :sympathy: , didn't he?

Okay, I guess it's true confession time. I definitely remember trying out Don Music's headbanging routine. But he really wouldn't be nearly as memorable if he didn't bang his head on the piano. However, I remember only pretending to hit my head on the piano keys when I was a kid. Even then I knew that if I slammed my head on the piano keys, it was gonna hurt really badly! So I think kids are smarter than given credit for, but you should be mindful of the younger toddlers trying this out! (And you should be mindful of them anyway!)

But Don Music was a cool character that is missed. I remember the "Mary Had a Bicycle" sketch (I have it on video somewhere) and I remember seeing some of the others, though I don't have any clips of them. By the way, Don Music also showed up on the street and played the piano to sing "Sing" in the Sesame Street 20th. anniversary show (shown as an episode of "The Jim Henson Hour" and hosted by Bill Cosby)

superfan

Reaction score
He also did a version of the Sesame Street theme. And Kermit the Frog helped him out...like "Cloudy days.." the rest is obviously pretty unclear to me. Anyone remember?
Or "Drive, drive, drive your car, gently down the street, merrily merrily merrily merrily, life is but a treat."
And he had like about three backup singers that would pop up behind the piano sometimes, too didn't he?

BEAR

Reaction score
Don Music was so hilarious! I miss him. I don't care if he comes back to the show, I just want to be able to see old clips of him again.

DerekJ

Reaction score
And wherever there is a mention of Hunt-era Don Music, there must be a mention of:

Don: o/` "'Q, R, S'...er, 'S' ....Oh, I'll never get it right! (headbang!)"
Frank Oz AM Golfer: "Uh, excuse me, mind if I play through? I've got a guy waiting for me on the seventeenth....TEEEEEE!!!!!"

(Some moments are immortal.) :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
And wherever there is a mention of Hunt-era Don Music, there must be a mention of:

Don: o/` "'Q, R, S'...er, 'S' ....Oh, I'll never get it right! (headbang!)"
Frank Oz AM Golfer: "Uh, excuse me, mind if I play through? I've got a guy waiting for me on the seventeenth....TEEEEEE!!!!!"

(Some moments are immortal.) :smile:
I remember when he tried to do the alphabet but I don't remember the golfer appearing. I'd love to see that again.

By the way I remember the lyrics to Don Music's "Sesame Street" theme too. It goes:

Stormy night, not even a cloud in sight, on my way to where the sky is dark. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Yellowstone Park?

sesamestchick

Reaction score
I LOVE "Mary Had a Bicycle"!!! I used to laugh my head off everytime that sketch would come on. He always reminded me of Ray Manzarek from "The Doors" (I had older siblings who had awesome vinyl collections, probably worth lots of $$$ now). I wonder if that's who Jim Henson based him on? :smile:

P.S. I must admit I used to bang my head and hands on the piano as a kid to make my brothers & sisters laugh all the time. :wink: