1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Don't mess with Frank Oz when it comes to Fozzie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by dwayne1115, Aug 12, 2018.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

3. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I have to agree with both Frank and Brian in this case: Frank in that it seems very unlikely that Jim would just up and give somebody a Muppet like that as a gift (unless it was in their likeness, like the first couple of TMS episodes did with their guest stars), and Brian in that it is a terrible-looking Fozzie - it looks more like a photo poser than an actual Fozzie Muppet puppet.

ConsummateVs and dwayne1115 like this.
  5. dwayne1115

I agree with you there, and in some way I feel a little sorry for Frank here. He genuinely seemed crushed by the news from Henson that this was something Jim had done.
    Deep down I wish Frank could have bought it himself. Because during one of the promos for Muppet Guy's Talking Fran had a Prairie Dawn that Sesame Workshop gave her after she had retired., and even though he didn't out right say it Frank felt a little bit left out.
    So it's very troubling at least to me anyways.

ChickyBoy37 and ConsummateVs like this.
  6. MartyMuppets

MartyMuppets Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for Frank too. I can imagine nothing more deeply upsetting than finding out something one of your friends has done without your knowledge that seems a tad hurtful when the friend in question is gone and you will never be able to talk things through with him/her.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  7. dwayne1115

I would think that a puppet or even a poser that was built in 1980 would be very run down, and in bad condition. Because any Muppet builder will tell you these puppets don't last long without having to have repairs and things done.

8. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Well-Known Member

I've seen this going on a few days ago on Twitter

9. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

The Fozzie "on display" now has had a lot of work done. The one picture in the article from 2006 is how he has looked for the longest time (deteriorating, smushed face, etc.) Now he just looks like a cartoon plush doll.

10. dwayne1115

Well hopefully it's being worked on by Henson.

11. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

12. ChickyBoy37

I wish I knew why Jim would do that in the first place

13. dwayne1115

It does seem very out of character, and I think that's why I feel so sorry for Frank. Especially after doing Muppet Guy's Talking which was really a tribute to Jim, and to Frank's work as well.

14. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think it would have been better to give it to people who have had experience restoring Henson puppets because even though I am oh, so glad that Fozzie was fixed, you can barely recognize him. Must've broken Frank's heart.

15. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

I'm so confused; this is the original Fozzie, just retouched to the point of being unrecognizable?

16. ChickyBoy37

Apparently it was a new Original Fozzie that was built not the Season 1 puppet itself

17. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

So Jim rebuilt a weird looking version of the already weird looking season 1 Fozzie to give to some random guy, and nearly 40 years later Frank is ****** about it? Weird Muppet lore.

I think I'm gonna change my username to "New original Fozzie" and make my profile pic the picture of the puppet. There's a certain point where you retouch the puppet so much that you completely lose the point.

That second picture in the article with Fozzie and the guy actually does resemble season 1 Fozzie, just quite deflated and stuff; I think it might've been too haunting for them to show it straight on.

gavry3 likes this.
  18. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

The original season 1 Fozzie was built multiple times. That was just one of them. They just ''retouched'' him and now he looks completely unrecognizable to the season 1 Fozzie.

Blue Frackle likes this.