1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Doozer Cartoon series probably happening at this point

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Drtooth, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Remember almost 3 years ago when Henson planned a Preschool CGI Doozers series that went no where for just that long?

Apparently, it's going into production now. Which basically means there's a good possibility that it could actually happen, as long as Henson doesn't screw it up. And at least we'll see some interest in the property to warrant a movie on some level, or at the very least put some Doozer merch on store shelves.

Plus it's all CGI and probably outsourced, like Dino Train was... so that alone tells you there's a lower probability that this isn't going to happen than before.
    bandit likes this.
  2. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Yaay! That's good for the FR franchise, that at least something new will come out of it...I know they were creating three new Doozer kids to be the stars, but I'm really hoping for maybe some small appearances of a Cotterpin or another pre-existing Doozer.
  3. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Cotterpin is my favorite character in the live-action FR. Yes, I work hard, but I love to have fun too. So, I would to hear that Cotterpin might appear in the cartoon series.
    MuppetLuver2000 and Dominicboo1 like this.
  4. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

Hmm... It's an interesting idea but I just wish it wasn't in CGI. I know that is the trend these days but it would be cool to see the actual puppets in action again.

Still, it is a good sign for a slow ressurgence of Fraggle Rock into the mainstream media. I guess this makes the Doozers kind of like Henson version of the Penguins from Madagascar.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  5. Drtooth

I sort of feel that way too, but part of me says, how is a CGI version of the Doozers any different from this:

On the one hand, I'd love to see a real Muppet version of the Doozers, on the other hand, this is an animated series spinoff anyway... and if there's ONE thing Henson has been able to sell, it's CGI programming, be it Waldo controlled Sid the Science Kid, or completely animated Dinosaur Train. Plus, the relative lack of expense also means they don't need a buzillion business partners to have to try and woo. The ONLY reason why we haven't seen a movie.

Other than that, it all depends on how the show is for me to judge one way or another. If it's as adventurous and inventive as those other 2 shows, I'd give it a shot... if it's another Dora/Mickey's Clubhouse/Blues Clues type deal, I'm not interested.
    MuppetLuver2000 likes this.
  6. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Hope this works out, and is an indication that something could be happening with Fraggles beyond the constant stream of pre-production news.
  7. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

A Doozer Cartoon? Seriously? Are the Fraggles to be in it at all?
    I just don't see this thing working. The Doozers are the most boring characters in FR.
  8. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

I Really don't think that will happen in a millen years.
  9. Drtooth

And yet, every time there's a faint glimmer of a news update about the film, even if it's one that's several months old, you consistently believe the movie's going to happen.

What it comes down to is this. it's far cheaper and easier to do a CGI preschool show than a movie with a big enough budget to build a crapload of puppets from scratch.

I doubt it's very likely either, but it's a much more fiscally sound way to revive the property than having to woo 3 different production companies at a time to get a big enough budget film off the ground. Henson just needs an animation studio here, and just slap their label on it, just like Dino Train.

It will work in the matter of a target audience discovering Fraggle Rock through Doozers, not those who discover Doozers through Fraggle Rock. Plus, do we really want to see CGI Fraggles voice by Canadian voice actor sound-a-likes?
  10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Speaking of boring, Bert's boring. And i LOVE Bert! Boring's a matter of perspective. To the Fraggles, Doozers are boring. And at the beginning of the series, we saw the Doozers from the Fraggles' perspective. Then we got Doozer-centric episodes where we see things from the Doozers' point of view and we learn there's more to Doozers than meets the Fraggles' eye.

"We were never being boring because we were never being bored" - Zelda Fitzgerald
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  11. Drtooth

What would make the series perfect is if they had one of the Fraggles introduce and close out the show in a live action segment. Something to the extent of, if anyone remembers, the old ALF cartoon series. You know, where ALF introduced the show saying he's writing a chapter of his life story, then it cuts to the cartoon episode, and at the end it cuts back to live action for ALF to comment on the episode and threaten to eat a cat...

Something like that, only with one of the Fraggle puppets they already built and have them say something like "Wow... those Doozers are strange creatures, aren't they?" and mention the scientific subject of the day.
  12. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, Matt or Storyteller ... or Cantus ... would be a good fit for a bookend. I think Matt would be the best fit, though. Pure comedy potential in getting him to explain to the tourists from Outer Space how things work in Doozer Dome. :)
  13. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having a Fraggle introduce and close out the episodes. I do think Uncle Matt would be a good idea, but the Storyteller would work as well if they wanted to "frame" each episode and give it more of a moral.

Or maybe they can use Red, since Karen Prell would probably be willing to do appearances.
  14. Drtooth

[​IMG]

That was from the World of Jim Henson event this year. That means that we have a Wembley, a Red, and an Uncle Matt.

So, Uncle Matt would be a perfect candidate as he's already available as a character. Red and Wembley also, but Matt specifically. If they can do it without much of a cost, then there's no reason why there shouldn't be a Fraggle host.

We'd need to rebuild and recast Cantus, though he does sound like a good character for a moral/lesson reprise at the end of the show.
    Collgoff and bandit like this.
  15. muppetfan24/7

Okay! So, Unlce Matt would fit pefectly for the opening and closing segments that is if they do it. Red and Wembley could definetely be in it too, but mostly, Gobo's Uncle Matt. Cantus? Hmmm! He is part of Jim, but yeah it wouldn't hurt to have some Cantus either.
  16. Drtooth

For the sake of cheap, though, it would be a safer bet to go with one of the puppets they already built. Like I've said, the one reason Henson is pushing to get the movie is so they can use a large portion of the budget to rebuild the characters.
    Muppet fan 123 and bandit like this.
  17. Tom Fraggle

Tom Fraggle Active Member

It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. Now, I'll just go investigate this piece of gray hair that sprung up while I wait. /grin
  18. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Yeah! I agree with that idea! I think the Doozers cartoon series shouldn't be complete without Uncle Matt segments.
    Great point on that.
  19. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

That would be great!
    Is it for the fraggle movie or the doozer cartoon?
    what do you guys thiink?
  20. muppetfan24/7

I would say the doozer cartoon. I believe there should be live action sequences of Uncle Matt voiced by Dave Golez. That uncle of Gobo's knows all about Doozers.