Dr. Teeth repaint: ebay report...

Luke

Reaction score
Kelly,

Depends how many people genuinely bought them to keep, and how many bought them to scalp. If the number being scalped outweighs the number of fans who actually know about this Dr Teeth Exclusive then i guess the price would drop when interest dried up.

MikeHornPalisad

Reaction score
We really tried to limit the sales as an attempt to discourage the scalping. We had a strict limit (2 per person on Friday, dropped down to 1 per person on Saturday and Sunday). Believe me, we could have EASILY sold out before the show even started if we wanted to just sell out. We had dealers coming up to us on Thursday as we were setting up our booth, begging us to sell them cases. We refused. And by limiting the amount people could buy, we put a serious dent in the ability of scalpers cornering the market. We sold no figures at wholesale discount. The people showing up on Ebay or elsewhere with more than one figure were, apparently, sending over attendees of the show to our booth to buy their limit, one at a time.

The limit was also put in place so that nobody came to the booth who wanted one got turned away empty handed. The true fans who really wanted the figure were able to get theirs.

Trust me, if we hadn't set the limits and been strict about it, not nearly as many people would have gone home from Philly with figures, and many more would be popping up on Ebay, etc. Probably with higher prices.

I know this debate will rage on, and, as the manufacturer, we are stuck in the middle of it.

As much as I want to make absolutely everyone happy, reality is, I have to try to please as many as I can. That includes collectors, casual fans, our company, Henson, "major" retailers and "smaller" dealers, Wizard, the factory, the sculptors, prototypers, and painters, and probably a host of others.

I don't think that I can convince you that Palisades is not the evil empire trying to keep you from your complete collection. Especially not in the impersonal nature of the internet. I just hope that I can show you that we are listening. I think that we are the most responsive manufacturer in the game today. I don't see my competitors routinely appearing in consumer forums. Ken especially takes a TON of his personal time to be present here and elsewhere on the net.

Let me also say that you are not wrong. Yes, the exclusive was hard to get (relatively). But we didn't make it a total character exclusive or something so sweet that it (in my opinion) ruins the entire collection without it.

The debate will go on, I'm sure. Rest assured, we are listening!

MH

Luke

Reaction score
Mike,

I've seen a lot of stuff going on at other shows here in the UK. Teams of scalpers working together at shows to get more limited items, other toy companies keeping a supply of items back to auction themselves once they become rare. I guess it all goes on and much more. I guess it's good that the figures are getting this kind of attention and they seem hot with the dealers - i personally agree with the idea of doing exclusives for shows and things - it's great promotion, and it's also good to see you doing all you can for the fans, especially those that have helped out.

I still miss the old Star Wars 'proof or purchase' things though when you had to mail in with your barcodes for the extra figure. Seeing as Nostalgia is in right now - any chance of reviving that in the future ?

Luke

MikeHornPalisad

Reaction score
Yeah, we've thought about it quite a bit. Basically, it comes down to economics. We just haven't been sure if we can make it work. Remember, we are a pretty small shop with a lot more work than people, so while a mail away is a great idea (promotes buying the whole line, consumer interaction, mailing list building, etc.), I think we are just not ready to handle it yet. It would be far worse, I think, for us to do such a promotion and then have crummy service in fulfilling orders.

MH

wong

Reaction score
very limited exclusives

I understand the company must do what's best for itself and not always think of the fans but really short supply exclusives are turning away some collectors (there are a few posts about this at simpsonscollectors.com)

This suggestion may not even work, it may not even be good but at the palisade toys website you do have a store, albeit not opperational at the moment. Would it not be possible to sell those con exclusives there but w/ a different packaging or even no packaging at all. That way people like me who can't go to the cons can still get an invisible beaker and the convention still gets an exclusive when the toy is presented in different and much cooler packaging (eg like holographic packaging numbered out of the production run for that packaging) b/c you have to support the guys that give the free plugs such as toy fare.

that way all can be happy and enjoy the great work that palisades provides.
PS I am glad that atleast no new characters will be made exclusives so thank you for that decision.

should this have been a new topic? I dunno

MM-III

Reaction score
Quick dr. teeth ebay update...

6 available right now... one closes in 3 hours

Current prices are beginning to stabalize. The range is now 39-45 dollars.

But it now figs @ 60.00 have all failed to sell since the first couple days. Most have been re-listed at 45 buy it now...

My guess is these things are close to bottoming out so if you're looking to buy at ebay, we're close to as cheap as they will be at this point. I could be wrong, but I do think when the main line is released and people start learning what exclusives are out there, the price will go up again.

The number of figures available has continued to decline which should also push prices up somewhat.

gorry

Reaction score
i just thought of something.i don't know why everyone's complaining that they don't like the fact they can't get a dr.teeth.the people up here in PA won't be able to get the vanishing cream beaker without paying ebay prices.same goes for animal.so don't get angry.:smile:

FER SURE

Reaction score
I got my Dr. Teeth repaint today! He is awesome with so much detail. The paint is great and and his cumberbund is even hand painted or so it appears. There is only one problem HIS NOSE FELL OFF! Alas it fits back in and stays there but imagine my surprise when it happened.

MM-III

Reaction score
Hey Fer sure,

I would have been furious if the nose fell off on mine... I hope you're still able to play with it.

now for another update...

4 teeth left on ebay...

prices surprisingly continue to drop... 36-42 dollars

Supply of teeth continues to drop steadily and unless there are more listings soon, the supply will be gone by June 2nd.

Get em while you can!

Luke

Reaction score
So are the noses supposed to drop off or do i hear the dreaded words 'product recall' ? ;-)

Luke
(also - how is this going to affect Gonzo ?)