1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

D'Snowth's Scale Model of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by D'Snowth, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

@D'Snowth, that's flippin' awesome! Absolutely fantastic work! :excited:

D'Snowth likes this.
  2. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

You got me there. :shifty:

Nah, but that thing looks amazing! Make sure to preserve it as much as possible.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I do my best, though it's not always easy. There's been a couple of years (not consecutively, mind you) where it was significantly damaged during moving. One year, seemingly beyond repair, and I just left it a shambles, because that also happened to be Season 39 when they made a number of significant changes to the set and I was torn about how I would accommodate them on my model since, at that time, I always tried to make it look exactly like on the show as possible. IIRC, I think when I made my mind up to rebuild it, I was up till like 3 or 4 in the morning doing, and that was when I decided to leave it in "Permanent Season 38 Mode" for a couple of years before I gradually began redesigning it to what it looks like now.

One thing that's helped is really gluing everything into place to ensure it'll stay put: prior to that, I just used tape, which wasn't always strong enough to do the job.

4. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Tape sucks. All it does is get in the way and stuck.

5. D'Snowth

Invisible tape can be good, but transparent tape really does suck: won't stick when and where you want it, but does where you don't.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

So I mentioned a while back that I discovered something that I had been wishing was in existence for a good number of years: a miniature hole-punch that can punch in the shape of leaves! I found such a tool on eBay, and immediately ordered one back in the summer:
    [​IMG]

For several weeks, I made a bunch of leaves, in various different shades of red, orange, yellow, and brown; fall now has a far more realistic look on the street this year than in years past!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

Holly crap.... This is awesome!

D'Snowth likes this.
  8. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

Great job dude! I have been saving some really GOOD cardboard to start doing my very own but not sure when I'll start working on it or how I'll get started but I do have an idea. How did you do the tree to look like it had dead leaves on it?

9. D'Snowth

The tree itself is a model tree that I had gotten from Hobby Lobby in a pack of two. I had to remove a few branches and some of the foliage from both of them to bring them into scale, but I left one of them green, and dipped the foliage of the other into some orange paint, then highlighted that with some yellow paint after it dried.

Both trees have a peg at the bottom of the trunk that pops into a hole into a little plastic base. I attached the base to a square-shaped cardboard foundation, the covered the base with some miniature weeds (also from Hobby Lobby); the leaves are just sprinkled around the base.

If you notice in the pics I took back in the summer, the green spring/summer tree has even more, taller weeds around the base of the trunk, but those are attached to the trunk itself. This makes the base look fuller during spring and summer, and emptier in fall.

10. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

This is the most underrated thing ever; if you did a YouTube tour of this I imagine you'd get a lot of hits.

11. D'Snowth

That's . . . not a bad idea, actually. I'd probably have to wait until spring when the model is clear of leaves and snow and such.

12. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

Or you could like... take them away now because your model doesn't have to act like the rest of the world. :D

13. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

You know, since Sesame Street is supposedly based in NYC, I wonder if you'd trot some decorated floats along the street with the Muppet figures watching their own T-Day parade.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  14. D'Snowth

After I spent weeks making those leaves for this fall season? I think not!!! :attitude:

Of course, I could do it between cleaning up all the leaves for fall and pulling out the snow for winter.
    That sounds like a fun idea. I usually pull out a big round table in the Arbor and have everyone gather around it for a big Sesame family Thanksgiving. I don't anything in the way of floats at the moment, but I'll definitely have to remember that for next year!

15. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Just amazing work D'snowth. AMAZING!!!

Froggy Fool and D'Snowth like this.
  16. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I've ever posted here...but if I haven't, this is by far one of the coolest things I've seen. I love the attention to detail and how your model version blends the modern elements of the set (revamped Hooper's Store) with the older ones (Oscar's can is still next to Big Bird's nest).

:batty:: I give this 5 out of 5 stars. No, 6 out of 5! 7 out of 5! 8! 9! 10! Ah, ah, ah.

17. D'Snowth

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Absolutely incredible work! It would be an awesome touch if you could make Big Bird-type footprints in the snow. And if you have any winter-themed Muppet figurines, why not throw those in too? Great, great job.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  19. D'Snowth

As a matter of fact, I do have some Christmas ornaments of the Muppets dressed in winter attire and such - not a bad idea, actually!

Blue Frackle likes this.
  20. Buff Beaker

Buff Beaker Well-Known Member

Wow that's really cool! Have you thought of adding around the corner to your replica?