1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

D'Snowth's Scale Model of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by D'Snowth, Jul 20, 2008.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

After months of deliberation, I decided to give the tenement building a bit of a makeover:
    [​IMG]
    Although I generally liked when Hooper's and the other shop has a uniformed look (like when both storefronts were orange for Season 38, or both had a metal facade from Seasons 39-45), the checkerboard tile and the neon sign kind of clashed with the rest of the store's more modern and contemporary look, so I took David Gallo's initiative and gave the rest of Hooper's a retro makeover. The only thing is I'm not 100% happy with how the awning turned out, so I may redo it later down the road.

That being said, one thing I am totally happy with was how I renovated the Arbor a few months ago (sorry the colors didn't get picked up well):
    [​IMG]
    I completely redid the backdrop, this time separating it completely from the fence, leaving about 3/4-1 inch of space inbetween - now, I can easily change the trees (add to or take away) depending on seasons, since they were previously glued on the old backdrop (since the old backdrop was glued to the back of the fence).

Other than that, the rest of the street remains untouched.
    [​IMG]

One thing I'm excited about is I found a guy on Etsy who 3D prints accessories; I'm presently waiting to hear from him when he finishes a commission he's on the middle of so I can custom-order a new mailbox, newspaper vending machines, and a real fire hydrant!

2. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

Still love it! All The Way through. I wished I had that much patients to do it cause I would but I know either something would come up that would make me have to either stop for a while or even put it off till I could find more material for it but keep up the good work.

Me I would rather have it to where I could have the inside of the apartments and the stores and Big Bird's Nest area too just so I could put some figures with the set up. Thanks for sharing every time you either fix something on it or remold it.

3. D'Snowth

It is time-consuming, yes. Just the makeover I did on just that building took three and a half hours, nonstop. Probably would have been even longer had I not already worked on some of the smaller elements ahead of time.

And you can actually see Big Bird's nest area, it's just situated in a place where it's different to get a "ground-level" look of it since it's closed off, but here's what it looks like from above:
    [​IMG]

If the 3D printer on Etsy takes completely custom order, I'm going to see if he can do a residential/rural mailbox so Big Bird can finally have his.

4. Erine81981

I love it. Really nice touch on his nest area. Keep up the awesome work on it.
    You should do a inside of Oscar's can. Yeah I know there's never been ever video or pics of the inside but there has been books that show what the inside just with a few things that aren't mentioned like in the show.

5. Erine81981

Or what about Charlie's Resturant or even Bob's, Gordon and Susan, Maria and Luis's apartment too or the inside of the Fix It Show or Hooper's? Just a few.....

6. D'Snowth

I did used to have additional miniatures years ago, such as Ernie and Bert's apartment, Gordon and Susan's apartment, Bob's apartment, Hooper's and even other places like Count's castle (from the old Number of the Day bits), Global Grover, Elmo's World, and even the park (not from ATC, mind you), but as the years went on and I found myself in need of cardboard for other things, they ended up being casualties, so none of them still exist.

7. Erine81981

Awwwwww poor poor exhibits. Well I understand. There were several things I remembered that I had to tear down or use for other things. Wished I hadn't but things happen. Neat to know tho.

8. D'Snowth

I just realized looking at it now, it kind of looks like Sesame Street started going through a gentrification process that they just gave up on by the time they reached Hooper's. Another reason why I sometimes contemplate making the rest of that building look like it did in the mid-to-late 80s like the rest of the model does just so the whole thing would have a uniform look to it . . . but then again, I like having some modern (and in this case, original) details to the model to give it some contemporary realism (again, one of the main reasons I actually liked the Mail-It Shop when it was around).

9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

They added the Mail-It Shop to help modernize the street. But, I wonder if they brought back the Fix-It Shop later due to pressure from older fans. Because, as far as I can tell, the Mail-It Shop could've stayed for a long time, I don't think post offices are going anywhere any time soon.

10. D'Snowth

Maybe not post offices, but the postal system is tanking big time what with emails, chats, social media, and things like that, they've have to make up for it by increasing stamp prices again, cutting hours for employees, and even launching a clothing line (yes, there's actually a USPS clothing line).

But it's ironic, because I was watching Episode 3984 the other day, and there was a line in the Mail-It Shop song where Luis sings, "I hope that it's here to stay." Not the case.

Whatever the case may be, Season 37 was an odd season for the street, not just bringing back the Fix-It Shop, but there were other major reversions as well, such as bringing back the older green staircase for the carriage house, painting the 123 doors green again, giving Big Bird actual doors again. . . .

ATC aside, it seems like since the 90s, they can't make up their minds about set changes - many of them last only a few years. Truth be told, I'm kind of surprised the Laundromat is still there, I figured it would be something else long by now.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  11. D'Snowth

Oh-oh, who had been missing from the neighborhood?
    From the neighborhood?
    From the neigh-bor-hoo-ood?
    Who had been missing from the neighborhood?
    The Muppets you didn't see any day?

[​IMG]

Finally got some of the Muppets I had been missing all these years! I have to say though, I kind of under-estimated the size of some of these figures: Snuffy is a behemoth, but then again, Snuffleupaguses are supposed to be huge, lol. But Telly is almost as tall as Big Bird, which is kind of odd (also makes Baby Bear look puny in comparison), but at least I've finally got characters I've been needing.

At the same time, I had to buy a whole set just to get these guys, so I now have an extra Ernie, Bert, Cookie, and Super Grover (in used condition) - if anyone out there possibly has a Rosita and/or Herry Monster they wouldn't mind parting with and might be interested in a trade for my extras, PM me.

12. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and how long will the set changes that garnered such talk with the start of the HBO era will last?

Always admire/envy people who are creative enough and dedicated enough to create wide-spanning dioramas based on their franchisal fandoms. Thanks for posting Mupdates to your ever-changing representation of the Street. :jim:

13. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

That's a really cool replica! Reminds me of when I once found this silly video on YouTube of a ghetto Sesame Street parody with toys and model sets and at one point "Fight the power" was playing.

D'Snowth likes this.
  14. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

This one

D'Snowth and LittleJerry92 like this.
  15. LittleJerry92

Yup, I was just watching that after I brought it up. I love Mr. Hooper's saltiness. :D

16. D'Snowth

Yup, and I even put my own Fisher-Price playset to similar use in one of my MORON LEAGUE shorts several years back:

But there's an interesting connection between SST and the movie DO THE RIGHT THING, aside from the fact that writer/director/co-star Spike Lee made that appearance on SST in the late 90s: Giancarlo Esposito played Mickey in the Camp Echo Rock arc, as well as Buggin' Out, the character in DO THE RIGHT THING who instigated the brouha over the pictures in the pizzarea (as Big Bird did in the parody).

17. LittleJerry92

I must say, I think you had too much fun making that... But that was funny! I give you props for pretty much trashing WMG in that vid (Warner sucks now anyway, at least with alot of their movies).

Both videos kind of remind me of Kablam's "Action Leauge NOW!" Meanwhile I'm thinking of checking out "Do the right thing" if it's on Netflix or available for purchase on YouTube.

D'Snowth likes this.
  18. D'Snowth

That's exactly what my MORON LEAGUE shorts are an affectionate parody of, lol.

And yes, I did have the audacity to take a swipe at WMG since that was a period of time on YouTube where they were taking down videos over songs they didn't even own (including Muppet songs), though in hindsight, the joke is ironic, because those aliens are from SPACE JAM, which is, of course, a Warner Bros. movie, but that didn't even cross my mind at the time. Whoops, lol.

19. LittleJerry92

WMG and YouTube in late 08-09/whatever to me was like the equivalent to that hourrendous Viacom takedown in February 2007 where we lost many Sesame Street clips that pretty much all re-surfaced (and sadly, a few 2006 YouTubers whom I somehow still remember.... Though I think they probably would have eventually disappeared anyway.

20. D'Snowth

Oh yes, and all because they had the Noggin logo on them (even though Noggin had pretty much become full-blown Nick Jr. by that point).

Then there was that period of time in like 2011-13 or so when Lionsgate was removing SST clips because they had Henson titles on DVD including the 20th anniversary special that Jim produced.