Ducky Nash's Duck Doll-- Puppet or not?

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I know, some of you are totally bent and determined not to have this type of question, but this IS a puppetry forum...

The question is:

Was Ducky Nash's Donald Duck doll a puppet, a ventriloquist's dummy, or am I totally off the wall and it's something totally different?

Iokitek

Reaction score
You mean the guy that did his voice? I believe he used a DD ventriloquist's dummy.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
yes, I do mean the original voice of DD, Io - uh whoever you are. Sorry, can't pronounce Dutch names, Iokitek. Spanish, yes, French, so-so, German, hang it out your window on the Autobahn.

BJ

Iokitek

Reaction score
hehe
:stick_out_tongue:
Well Iokitek is just my nickname. But most people short it down to Io. It's a Star Wars Zabrak name that stayed after playing a rolegame. I kinda like it. Anyway my real name is Rob. That should be easier to pronounce already.

I found a picture of the doll here

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Thanks for responding so quick, Rob. I was asking the question because I saw this video clip on Nash in "Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald Vol. 1" (it's a DVD) and he operated it like a ventriloquist's dummy, yet his lips moved like he was providing the voice or something. I really want a replica of that and a book on how he did the unmistakable voice of Donald. Any suggestions, even out in Deustchland? :concern:

Iokitek

Reaction score
That's the Netherlands. :smile: We are quite different from Germany.

Anyway I believe hardly anyone can do Donalds voice the way he did. He used to just stand still and do the voice. While most people nowadays start making funny faces and they get all hyperactive tugging at their cheeks just to get that voice. When Donald throws a fit he starts blabbering all over the place and that's brilliant. It hardly cost him any effort.

What can I say? :stick_out_tongue: The man WAS Donald Duck!

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
no kidding. Anyplace I can pick it up here in the good old US of A? Any ventriloquism chain will do.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ventriloquist's dummy Donald Duck.

It was made especially for Ducky Nash, and was not made commercially for purchase.

If you find one for sale, it's likely it was his--so, I doubt you'll find one.

There have been marionettes of Mickey and the others in the Disney Fab 5, and you might find those on ebay.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Thanx for Responding, Foz!

Do y'all know a ventriloquism shop where I can get that 'specially built? That would be gravy! Anybody also going to answer my Cracker Barrel question in the Rare Puppets Wanted thread?