Dusting off my Fisher-Price Little People Sesame Street sets

Dearth

Reaction score
So I hauled out my two Sesame Street playsets from the 70's just now, and I was surprised at just how complete I'd managed to keep them. In fact, the only pieces I ever lost were when my parents moved to a new house around 1976: Cookie Monster and Grover. (I also lost a Child Guidance Grover puppet at the same time. Evil movers!)

I myself have moved four or five times since then, and despite my own kids playing with the toys, everything else is still amazingly accounted for.

One thing that I had thought was lost was the lamppost, but it turns out it was just broken. The remnants of it were still in there with the other accessories. And, as luck would have it, I recently purchased a Big Bird 'action figure' from around 1980, and the seller threw in the lamppost. I didn't even recognize it as the Fisher-Price toy at first, so that was just luck.

So now I'm on a quest to find the Little People of Cookie Monster and Grover on eBay. Once I replace everything that I *did* own as a kid, I'm sure I'll eventually get around to getting the rare set of figures that I never owned, with Herry and Snuffy etc.

Man, I remember holding that set in my hands at the old Circus World toy store in the mall, but thinking that I was now 'too old' for Little People, and putting it back. Never saw it in stores again. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Dearth

Dearth

Reaction score
I got a big box in the mail today from a recent eBay auction... it contained the Sesame Street Apartments, no accessories, and the SS Clubhouse with most of its accessories.

PLUS nine SS Little People figures, including a Cookie Monster and a Grover to replace mine that went missing more than thirty years ago!

For the most part, the Apts. and the Clubhouse were in MUCH better condition than mine. All mine really had going for them was the fact that the accessories were complete, even if the figures weren't.

But one decal on the new Apts. was ripped, right on the flipside of the chalkboard. I examined both sets and realized I could unscrew the bottom plates and swap out the chalkboards, so I made one Apt. which was as perfect as I could get it, and one which had all the defects in the same set.

I plan to take some photos and list my playworn originals on the 'Bay, just to see how much I can recoup of my investment in what arrived today. First I'm going to see if I can get a better Grover than the one that just came in.

If I do replace this Grover, do you think I should list him (and the other extra figures) with the spare buildings, or do them as separate auctions? I was thinking since neither playset is complete, the presence of the figures won't add any value. Whereas someone looking for JUST, say, a Count or a Grover would be more inclined to bid on them by themselves than with a set.

Dearth

Dearth

Reaction score
Got some more Sesame Street Little People in the mail yesterday: Sherlock Hemlock, Herry, and Snuffleupagus. Not very happy for their condition considering what I spent.

Herry has a scratch down the center of his nose which was hidden by a glare in the photo, which was probably an accident, but Sherlock Hemlock's hat brim was scratched up on one side, and that side was turned away from the lens in what I now suspect was deliberate.

Ah well... had I owned them as a kid, they'd have been just as abused, or possibly lost in the move, so who knows what they'd look like?

I'll keep my eyes open for a better Herry and a better Sherlock Hemlock.

In the meantime, if I can just get a Prairie Dawn, I'll have one of each character produced.

Dearth

Dearth

Reaction score
Got a Prairie Dawn today... she's in much better condition than Herry and Sherlock Hemlock were.

Hope to take pics of everything soon.

DN