DVD wish list.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Surprised Snowth hasn't commented on the Alvin Show yet...

I wish Universal would get off their high horses and release Earthworm Jim. I mean, they released episodes of that atrocious The Mummy cartoon when that sequel to the prequel to the spin off movie came out.

Erine81981

Reaction score

I wish Universal would get off their high horses and release Earthworm Jim. I mean, they released episodes of that atrocious The Mummy cartoon when that sequel to the prequel to the spin off movie came out.
I think it's neat they are relasing the first Alivn Show on DVD this coming September and all. I just hope it does well enough to relase the full series.

And yes why not Earthworm Jim. I have all four of the VHS that came out back then but i would love to see them release the whole series. Come on UNIVERSAL!

Drtooth

Reaction score
And yes why not Earthworm Jim. I have all four of the VHS that came out back then but i would love to see them release the whole series. Come on UNIVERSAL!
EWJ has a big enough cult following to warrant it. And virtually every other video game based cartoon (with the thankful exceptions of Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat the completely toned down kiddy series based off a 17+ video game series... but unfortunately no Donkey Kong Country, as hard as Shout tried) has been released for some time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because I'm more into the 80s show than I was The Alvin Show... and because as I've said before, just not as into The Chipmunks anymore at the moment.

Really, all that's on my DVD wishlist right now are Stalag 17 - one of the greatest movies of all time, and Super Mario Bros. - one of the worst movies of all time.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I still like the Chipmunks. So i hope to see the whole series on DVD someday in my life time. And i might wouldn't mind seeing Donkey Kong Country come to DVD as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think if Paramount and the Bagdasarians could release actual SEASON sets of the show, that'd probably set off a spark for me again; other than that...

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Yeah that's one I would be willing to buy as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think if Paramount and the Bagdasarians could release actual SEASON sets of the show, that'd probably set off a spark for me again; other than that...
I bet they're pulling that Sony bull crap where they think releasing a "Kid's cartoon" in collector friendly season sets is beneath them. I mean, I could see the 1980's series being a problem with all those crazy music rights they'd have to hammer away at... the "Alvin collection" was expensive for what it was, and I blame that. But there is no call to not put The Alvin Show on in season sets at all. All those songs were public domain or originals owned by the Bagdasarians.

Really, this far into the DVD game and we're still getting supposedly kid friendly 3 episode DVD's. What kid wants to have to pay 10-15 bucks for a fifth of what they can get if they pay 20-25 bucks? I don't know any kid who wouldn't want a whole mess of episodes on DVD.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Alvin Show was only on for one season, so they could easily release that into a complete series set; heck, for the longest time, there were rumors that a complete series set for that show was going to happen... what does this set contain? The pilot episode and what? Two other TV specials as bonus episodes and that's it? It ain't worth it.

I wish I knew exactly which songs in specific that were featured on the 80s show that they can't use, because with all that's been released on DVD so far, I've only found TWO episodes that have song replacements - one where a really crappy dub of "Witch Doctor" was dubbed for "Love Potion No. 9", and where "Surfin' Safari" was dubbed for "Surfin' USA" (ironically, both are Beach Boys songs).

They are getting "better" at the DVDs though - so many fans have been complaining about lack of title cards (which were removed in syndication anyway), but as of late, more episodes on DVD have kept the title cards intact; all episodes on The Chipettes DVD have them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Alvin Show was only on for one season, so they could easily release that into a complete series set; heck, for the longest time, there were rumors that a complete series set for that show was going to happen... what does this set contain? The pilot episode and what? Two other TV specials as bonus episodes and that's it? It ain't worth it.
I really hope Paramount hasn't screwed whoever was planning to release it by making a crappy 3 half hour DVD. I remember those rumors too.

You know, I've noticed that ever since the economy went crappy, I've been seeing less and less classic cartoon releases, while the "you just saw them on TV last night" season sets of current shows keep on coming and flooding the market. And they're mostly lame cable dramas I've never heard of that just premiered a week before the DVD news was announced. Some company got the rights to release Fat Albert again in season sets... and all they gave us were the specials they already released with 2 lousy bonus episodes. And nothing else for a year.

What I'm not liking is this new "Cartoon Character's Catchphrase Collection" jazz. Sure, I see why you'd need to circumvent those annoying song rights for Alvin and the Chipmunks.... but the Go Go Gadget collection of 10 random episodes for the same price as a half season set would cost? Sometimes these DVD rights go into the hands of people who buy them up for no apparent reason and do nothing with them. What right did Fox have getting the Gadget license from Shout when they weren't planning to release the rest of the series in order, like Shout promised they would?

That said, Super Mario Brothers the movie is on DVD and has been for some time. I'm sure you could find it cheap. Last time I saw it it was 6 bucks.