1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Earl Kress - In Memoriam of an MC Family Member

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by BobThePizzaBoy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anyone's posted this or not, but we've lost a great animation historian and a member of the MC family today: Earl Kress aka Was Once Ernie. You can write an obituary of sorts, which mentions him working on The Muppet Movie here:
    http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2011_09_19.html#021305

I'm so shocked, I never really talked with Earl on the forum but definitely knew him from the Hanna-Barbera DVD season sets and he was one of the true forces alongside Jerry Beck in animation history experts. He was truly a great writer and talent, I didn't even have any idea he was suffering.

Rest in peace Earl Kress. :cry:
  2. Mr Humbug Member

I was hoping to get in touch with Earl in relation to a project I am currently working on and only yesterday I decided to reread his Muppet Central posts by way of research - what sad, strange timing.

What comes across when reading "Was Once Ernie"'s posts is that, despite having a career that many of us can only dream of having, his recollections could never have been interpreted as bragging or name-dropping. Earl Kress just wanted to share some memories that he knew would be of special value to his fellow Muppet fans.

RIP
  3. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Wow...I read it on FB. I had to ask myself "Was Earl 'Was Once Ernie'?" when I read the onbituary. I never got a chance to chat with him. Now I wish I had.:( R.I. P. Earl. And say hello to Jim, Jerry ,Richard & those that have passed away before us. My sympathy goes out to the Kress family.:sympathy:
  4. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

OMG, I can't believe this... I was just thinking about him the other day, I hadn't seen him on the forum as of late. I can't believe it, this is a shock.

I am happy to say, however, that I did have the pleasure of speaking with him not too long ago regarding some matters in the world of the art of puppetry from his experiences he's shared with me about working with Jim; what he had to say was very insightful and informative, but at the same time, is also supposed to be kept secret, so naturally, I won't go into details oabout what we talked about, but again, it did shed some light on some subjects I had issues with in puppetry.

Such a sad, sad loss. :(
  5. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

This is such a major shame. I'm so saddened to hear this news... I recently watched all of my Pinky and The Brain episodes on DVD and every time Earl's name popped up with a writing credit it made me smile knowing that I had some small interactions with him in the past. Earl was a truly warm, funny, and intelligent man who shared his unbelievable experiences with us obsessed fans. His legacy lives on through his revolutionary posts from behind the scenes on The Muppet Movie to his numerous, impeccable writing credits on shows like Pinky and The Brain, Animaniacs, and so many other things that have touched the hearts and funny bones of countless people.

Earl and his humor and heart will be missed.
  6. redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I remember reading his posts and thinking he was so knowledgeable and so down to Earth. We lost a wonderful man today.
  7. Stulz Member

I always enjoyed talking to him and his vast knowledge of both The Muppets and animation was inspring. We only met face to face once at a Muppet related but we enjoyed a great repport here one boards and he will surely be missed.

More info here: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/earl-kress.html
  8. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Rest in peace, sir, and thank you for adding such wonderful life to this community.
  9. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Wow. My friend Steve just sent me a message on Facebook about this. I'm in shock that my pal Earl passed away. When I feel up to it, I'd like to post more about him.
  10. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

For anyone who listens to "Stu's Show," a wonderful radio show hosted by Stu Shostak, Stu put all his plans for the show aside for tonight for a tribute to Earl. For the next two weeks you can listen to the tribute free of change on http://www.stusshow.com/. I'm listening to it now, it's truly heartbreaking and you can hear the pain in Stu's voice for him to tell people of this news. :cry:
  11. Melonpool Member

I will truly miss Earl. I've known him for about 15 years, though in the last two, I really go to "know" him a little better. A great man who always encouraged my crazy projects and even participated in a few. He was supposed to be one of the cast of a feature-length film we're planning to make and will be impossible to replace -- both as a friend and as a collaborator. We've already decided that we're going to dedicate the film to him.

Safe travels, my friend.
  12. muppetperson Well-Known Member

So sadden to hear of Earl's passing.I was only thinking the other day that it was a while since his last post.Everybody looked up to him here and enjoyed his posts and insights.I always enjoyed his posts on the MR Muppet line and found his stories about the "Widgets" amusing.Now he is gone.Rest in peace, Earl.You will be missed.
  13. zns Active Member

We will miss you Earl. Christ be with you my friend.
  14. Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

this a sad moment i remember reading all his posts back in the day...may he RIP
  15. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

This is sad news. After reading the news yesterday, I decided to watch the ending to The Muppet Movie, as well as his Road Runner short Little Go Beep.

I enjoyed all the insight he gave about the making of the ending of The Muppet Movie, as well as his memories of visiting the Sesame Street set often in the early 1970s. When I first learned of his "My Name is Earl Kress" blog on the Golden Age Cartoons forum, I mentioned the news somewhere on this thread. I started a page for Earl Kress at Muppet Wiki, though it was later taken down for not being relavent enough (the talk page can still be viewed).

I think I was the first to ask anything close to who he was, before we learned his name, and he mentioned he wasn't trying to hide his identity but wasn't ready to reveal himself yet. And when a Tom and Jerry DVD came out I looked at the back packaging and saw "Earl Kress" listed as doing commentary, and figured out that was him (before he revealed his name to us). Similarly, he was a member of the Golden Age Cartoons forum under the name Daws Butler Jr, but I thought that was really Butler's son. One time on the forum he mentioned a fact about the Top Cat DVD, which he'd mentioned on his blog, and I asked about it, confused (another member told me via private message that he was Earl Kress).

I've often desired to have my own cartoony live-action series, and I had it in my mind that if I achieved that goal, I'd want at least one person on the writing staff who was more experienced with writing for animation, with Earl Kress being at the top of the list (while I know many of the shows he wrote for, I don't know what episodes he had written).

I wonder if The Muppet Mindset or Tough Pigs will point this out.
  16. Beauregard Well-Known Member

That is so sad...I remember his warm story telling that made us all jealous, without ever thinking he had come here to brag. I loved living vicariously through him and his interactions with the underground, behind-the-scenes Muppet world. My thoughts are with his family.
  17. Buck-Beaver Active Member

I just read about Earl's passing over at Cartoon Brew. Very, very sad news. He was was a wonderfully knowledgeable guy to have here on the forum.
  18. The Shoe Fairy Active Member

It's such a sad occurence to lose someone with so much knowledge and with so much appreciation here on the forum and elsewhere, my condolences are with his family and friends. R.I.P Earl Kress.
  19. outerelf Active Member

I never got to meet him on this forum, but the true tragedy is for the people he left behind. I hope that his family accepts my condolences.
  20. LamangoNumber2 Active Member

This is truely heart breaking, but remember, he gets to meet his ol pal Jim again.