1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Earliest experience?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by WhiteRabbit, Mar 13, 2008.

1. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

If you can remember, when were you first introduced to the Muppets? Was it through the big screen or the little one and which movie was it?

Mine was MCC, I was only 2 or 3 when I saw it on TV and also MB reruns. :)
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Sesame Street. I grew up watching it on TV since I was a baby. It really helped shape my education and outlook on life early on. I was born in December of 1981, so I didn't really get to see the first two Muppet films on the big screen. And I don't remember my parents taking me to see the Muppets Take Manhattan in 1984 when I would have been about 2 years old. The earliest Muppet film I remember seeing in the theaters was Follow That Bird. I would have been about 3 years old when it was released but I vaguely remember sitting in the theater watching it. Most of my Muppet memories were watching them on TV though. I remember what a big deal it was when Maria and Luis got married and then eventually had a baby. Even most of the movies when they used to air on the Disney Channel back in the 80s and 90s, and of course all the specials. I remember watching Muppet Family Christmas every year it would air. They don't show it on TV anymore but luckily I have it on video!
  3. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

White Rabbit, I am just now realizing you are 10 years younger than me. It's so interesting to see the difference in our Muppet introductions.
  4. WhiteRabbit

I know! It's not too different actually. A few years later, I got into the other movies (new and current) and I figured Sesame Street went without saying because I'm sure everybody grew up with it too. =)
  5. Skye

Skye Active Member

I didn't grow up with it. :) And I'm sure I'm in the minority with that, hehe. I feel like such a weirdo because I didn't grow up with it, lol. Of course, I've always known of some characters from Sesame Street (like Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, Grover, the Yip Yip Martians, etc), but I had never actually watched an episode of the show until last year when I watched it with my fiancé.

But my earliest experience with the Muppets... I honestly don't even remember. All I know is that throughout my whole life, I've been watching them. My very first memory of the Muppets was The Muppet Christmas Carol, but at that point, I already knew who they all were and everything, lol. They've been in my life forever! :)
  6. WhiteRabbit

OMG. Never speak to me again.

...No, seriously, that's okay. XD
  7. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

I grew up watching "Sesame Street." My friends at school all grew up watching "Sesame Street." On the playground, we would often re-enact skits we had seen the day before.

Of course, "Sesame Street" led to TMS, which led to the movies...

But SS was definitely my first exposure to Jim Henson's wonderful creations.:)
  8. BeakerSqueedom

BeakerSqueedom Active Member

Reruns on the Muppet Show. :p
    As a wittle kiddie. <3
  9. Skye

Skye Active Member

Lol, sorry to freak ya out there! ;)
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Sesame Street goes without saying for me (Born in 83'), along with Don't Eat The Pictures, And X-Mas Eve on SS...
    For the normal Muppets it was The Muppet Movie on VHS, and Muppet Babies :excited: . I also had a stuffed Kermet (the full size very muppety looking toy one):)
    Then it was the The Muppets at Walt Disney World (I was seven years old), then Muppet Caper...I was 12 when I first saw Fraggle Rock in reruns...

Other than that and when the newer movies were made, I did not see The Muppets Take Manhattan or The Muppet Show untill just a few years ago (MTM about two years ago, and TMS about three years ago) :coy: .
  11. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I'm a Sesame Streeter too. I remember watching the show and also Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and Follow That Bird. I also remember that my parents got cable sometime around the time I was about four or five and they taped Muppets Take Manhattan and the Great Muppet Caper off of Showtime or HBO for me and I'd watch them over and over.
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Even though I must have seen TMM before anything I remember watching a tape of Great Muppet Caper recorded off tv alot more often..I think it was because of the balloon at the beginning or Piggy on the motorcycle crashing in the window...or I could have just had a crush on Charles Grodin, he was handsome back in the day IMHO :3
    "Thefts are not breathing down your neck.." *melts into puddle o' Redsonga*
  13. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Sesame Street, of course.

The first three Muppet movies, as well. I remember watching them a lot when I was little. I even had a Muppets Take Manhatten Readalong book & record (yes, I'm that old. Born in '81 XD).

My dad used to play the soundtracks in the car on long trips, and recorded the Christmas special and The Christmas Toy for us when they originally aired.

I was pretty much "born" with exposure to the Muppets XD
  14. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

It's a little hard for me to say. I assume Sesame Street must have been the first Muppet related thing I watched, but I don't remember watching it other than on occasion when I was a bit older. But I am certian that I watched it when I was young, I just don't have any memories of it. I used to have a hard plastic Big Bird toy that I played with though.... And a cat named Oscar who would play in the garbage. :coy:

Muppet Babies, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, MCC, and The Frog Prince were the first Muppet related things I have clear memories of
  15. SgtGonzoPepper

SgtGonzoPepper New Member

The first time I ever got into the Muppets was when I got this Big Bird doll which talked. (pull string.) I still have it but it sounds awful. I took it EVERYWHERE. I used to make my mom sit one seat over in movies so it could sit next to me.
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I used to have that toy too! I don't remember what it said, but I remember when it broke, lol. Thankfully I still have a picture of it!:wisdom: :cry:
  17. Pork

Pork Active Member

I watched Muppet show and Muppets tonight. But I think Muppets Treasuer Island really got me more into the muppets.
  18. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

My dad taped a lot of "Fraggle Rock" when it was on the air so I grew up with that. It's still my favorite TV show of all-time.
  19. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Well when I was about 9 or 10 years old the BBC were screening some repeats of TMS, our next-door neighbours didn't have a telly so used to come round to our house to watch it - we used to have to video tape it for them, and I watched it too, and liked it. But after a time the repeats stopped being shown, and I didn't think any more of it. Then when I was 15, MCC came out, I remember wanting to go and see it (cause I hardly ever went to the cinema - because most of the kind of films I liked weren't shown at our local cinema), but I was ill the week it was on and couldn't go. However, around this time I got really interested in Musicals, and going through some video tapes from a few years earlier, I started noticing that the names of some of the TMS Guest stars began to mean something to me, they were people ho'd been in musicals, performers such as Marisa Berenson, and of course Ethel Merman. I happend to get particularly interested in Merman at this time and kind of wanted to hear some of the songs written for her (such as the five shows worth that Cole Poter wrote) sung live, preferably in the original context, trouble is Merman is a very hard act to follow .... And then I came across one extraordinary singer, who could sing Cole Porter songs exactly the way I wanted to hear them sung.... And while trying to find out a little more about one extraordinary singer, I ended up finding out a lot about The Muppets.... and the rest as they say is history.

Emma

"If it's love affairs you like with young bear you like, why nobody will oppose"

http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Website_Louise_Gold/Red_Hot_And_Blue_Review.htm
  20. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

For me it could have been any one of the Big Three shows. Sure, I watched SS a lot as a kid, but I also have memories of peering over my parents' shoulders and watching reruns of TMS. And I think I saw bits and pieces of FR during that time period - memory's a tad hazy.