1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Earliest experience?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by WhiteRabbit, Mar 13, 2008.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well I definitely watched Sesame Street. My Grandma recently mentioned how amazed she was when I would sit so quietly and intently while watching, lol. I also used to own The Frog Prince, Hey Cinderella and Musicians of Bremen on tape, I watched those all the time and they're still very dear to me. Muppet Babies as well, one of the best cartoons ever made!

I adored The Christmas Toy, even though it used to scare me to death, lol. Muppets Take Manhattan was and remains my favorite Muppet movie of all time, the emotion was just so intense and close to the surface. I think a big part of what really makes the film work is the soundtrack. In the beginning, we're introduced to the song "Together Again" and then after that those opening words or notes play throughout the film during pivotal moments (such as when Kermit reads Scooter's letter, or finds out the play has been sold, and when he finally regains his memory). It really ties the whole story together.

Oddly enough though, one of my earliest experiences were with the Muppet behind the scenes specials. I knew at a very young age who Jim Henson and Frank Oz were. And looking back, I think specials like that inspired me to study video editing!

And then finally I ended learning much more about The Muppet Show and other specials through Nickelodeon. Thank goodness for Muppet Matinee! I wish that was still around!
  2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Aw, you are not a weirdo to me, honey.:flirt:

But my earliest watching the Muppets was Sesame Street and then Muppet Babies.
  3. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you more. <3 MTM might not have been the first Muppet movie I ever saw but I did rent it a lot, as far back as being 4 or 5. It brings back so much nostalgia. =)

:confused: Do I detect normal people in my thread?

Get a room, you guys. :p
  4. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

We did get a room, but the room told us to get a room.:p;)

By the way, the Episode we watched together was the the one about Herb The Dinosaur. Too bad he didn't make the cut as a character.:(
  5. WhiteRabbit

*gets out the mush extinguisher* Not in mine, pal! X_X *sprays both until they reach Mars*

*remembers that one* XD
  6. Skye

Skye Active Member

So.... he and I are alone together, far far away from the rest of the world? Sounds totally perfect to me! :D :flirt: Aww and thank you, William! I love that I'm never a weirdo to you!

That episode was really fun to see. I thought it was so cute! I love being introduced to sweet things like this... it's so neat. I really hope to get to learn lots more about Sesame Street, too. And I especially love learning about it from my honey.
  7. WhiteRabbit

MAKE IT STOOOOOP! X_X *lights a torch and chases them out*
  8. Skye

Skye Active Member

Lol, ooook. Don't worry, we'll try to find us a room!
  9. WhiteRabbit

Dear gawd...thank you. X_X *looks for the tranquilizer*
  10. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Okay, okay.. Well just go somewhere else where were appreciated! Hmmph...:boo:
  11. G-MAN

G-MAN Active Member

I was born in 1985, so I got the mother-load of muppets thrust on my tiny lap
    Sesame Street & Fraggle Rock, Muppet Show reruns on TNT, Muppet Babies, the first three movies, and of course a lot of the fairy tale specials (I loved Frog Prince and Bremen) then the new specials started coming out in 86 and I saw most of them (I missed The Jim Henson Hour though, except for the last one which aired on Nick)
  12. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

What a great thread, makes you think where it all started from?

I was born in Nov 1976, 2 months after The Muppet Show began in the UK, by the time my first Birthday came along in 1977 shops were full of Muppet stuff and I was given the rubber Bendy Kermit and Miss Piggy followed at Xmas, which I looked at in disgust (we have a photo! lol).

Until I was 5 The Muppet Show was on TV, and I used to sit and watch it with a cushion on my feet as I thought they were gonna come out the screen and bite them! Although this is very vague, the re runs on BBC are more in my Memory, even though at this young age I had dolls, T-Shirts, Slippers, Annuals, soaps, Posters, puzzles, and Paper cups and plates on Birthday parties, again we have photos. So I was already hooked at this young age.

I remember being taken to the cinema to see TMTM in 1984, the whole audience went Argghhh, when Baby Piggy came on screen in the Cart Ride dream scene. Little did I know that 12 years on Id be at the premiere screening of Muppet Treasure Island!

Then when I was 8 Fraggle Rock stated, one of my Favourite memories is being on Xmas Hols, getting up early and watching The Bells Of Fraggle Rock, which is still one of my fav eps now.

I watched specials on TV and Sesame Street on Channel 4 when I was home for lunch from Secondary School.

As a collector, that took off in 1990 when I found a Pigs In Space Jigsaw in a second hand shop, then another the following week, about the same time my Aunty and Uncle seperated, and my aunty got a place to live, she started going to Car Boot Sales and I tagged along and began buying LOTS of Muppet and Fraggle stuff and building up a very large Muppet collection.............and as many on here have said the rest is history.

Chris
  13. muppetfan89

muppetfan89 Member

My first experience with the Muppets was when I was 4, and I rented The Great Muppet Caper from my local video store. Once I watched it, I was hooked.
  14. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's nice; I think that says it all. ;)
  15. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Active Member

My first time with the muppets (that i remember) was when i was little, I had "Its the Muppets: Meet the Muppets" and "Its the Muppets: More Muppets Please." but since i was'nt a big muppet fan then, i gave those videos away (and looking back now, i wish i didn't:(). Another thing i remember was watching Dinosaurs.
  16. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Ah, the memories... My earliest Muppet related memories are The Muppet Babies actually. I used to absolutely LOVE them. I had at least six or seven videos, and still have three or four. I always loved Baby Gonzo and Baby Kermit, and continue to love their elder selves to this day.

I didn't really get hooked on Sesame as a kid, but when my brother was born (circa 1996) he certainly did. He had Tickle Me Elmo and tons and tons of PVC toys. That's actually when I got my Sesame fix for the first time. I fell in love with the 25th anniversary special, I know exactly where our original copy of that video is. Big Bird, Grover, Telly, Ernie, and Cookie Monster instantly charmed me. Unfortunately, we've long since given away all the PVCs and all but one (the 25th anniversary special) of our incredible Sesame Street video collection. *sigh* (And yes, I have Elmo to thank for getting my brother hooked on Sesame, and in turn, getting me hooked on it as well.) Unfortunately, my love for the Street didn't stay with me, I picked it back up once my Muppet love was sparked.

Which brings me to my earliest classic Muppet experience. We had a video copy of The Muppet Movie for as long as I remember(and I still have it), but I never remember watching it as a kid. My earliest reccolection of the Muppets is seeing the egg nog skit from the Prince episode of Muppets Tonight, and that memory has stayed with me to this day too.

But my Muppet fascination was brought about by the Palisades Series 5 Gonzo the Great action figure. I saw him one day at a mall and thought to myself, "Hey, that's Gonzo! I love Gonzo!" and bought him almost instantly. That very next day I went back for Patrol Bear Fozzie, Frog Scout Robin, Pepe, and Tuxedo Rowlf. :p Then I found that old copy of TMM and fell in love. And yes, the rest is indeed history.
  17. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

I first grew up watching SSt and Fraggle Rock. I also recall watching The Storyteller and The Secret Life of Toys, they were on the telly... though I have not see 'um since. -_- I also watched a few Muppet sing-along videos, but it wasn't until I was about 8 or 9 that I got into TMS.
  18. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

My earliest Muppet experience, was around 3 or so, watching Sesame Street.:wisdom:
  19. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Sesame Street of course, everything from the year I was born (1983) on, and all the movies made before that (Don't Eat The Pictures is more the SST movie to me than 'Follow That Bird' funny enough :3). The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets at Walt Disney World were my first liv action muppets anything, with Muppet Babies being the my first muppet show all together.
    I was funny when I was little and refused to see the muppets and Sesame Street as being made by the same company for some reason. I think I thought the word 'muppet' sounded to silly for someone as 'wise' as Big Bird...
    As far as Fraggle Rock goes I just thought they were toys for a long time, I didn't see it at all while it was airing the first time :(. Just in some re-runs in '95...
  20. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

sesame street. i loved it when i was a kid. but that went away after a while. but at the beginning of october 08, the muppets wizard of oz was on disney channel, and ever since i watched that, i just became hooked. its actually what brought be to find muppet central. i rully wanted a replica, and one of the links brought me here.