1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Earliest experience?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by WhiteRabbit, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Aww, that sucks. :( And I remember those videos well. Luckily, I have the "meet the Muppets" one (I bought it from a video shop, even though it wasn't on sale :p)
  2. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

*rereads the thread title again for some reason* O_O Hehluuuuuuuu...

*hash a sick mind* XPPP
  3. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I can't really remember how I was introduced to the Muppets, but when I was little, I had two videos called "It's The Muppets: Meet The Muppets" and "It's The Muppets: More Muppets Please". I watched those a lot so I guess that's how I got my start in Muppets. Also, I loved watching "Christmas Eve On Sesame Street" when I was a kid and I still love it. Ever since then, I loved watching anything to do with Muppets.
  4. Cannibal

Cannibal New Member

My earliest memories of the Muppets are of spending Saturday nights at my grandparents' house.
    Grandpa and I would watch Hee Haw followed by The Muppet Show every Saturday evening.
    He would sit and laugh like there's no tomorrow at the Muppets.
    He always marveled at how the band looked like they were really playing.
  5. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

My earliest experience with the Muppets was being terrified by a MCC trailer...

*shudder*

Also, I remember there used to be "Muppet Moments" after Disney films...I used to watch the films, just for the moments. And also there was an advert for all three main Muppet films before one of our movies -- However, that advert claimed that in The Great Muppet Caper the Muppets 'turn London, upside down.' Which they totally didn't do in the actual movie!
  6. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Lol, same. x3 Man tha brings back memories... I remember they would have the Swedish Chef "strangling spaghetti" sketch after The Sword in the Stone (if I remember rightly) and they also showed Gonzo playing his trumpet, or... something along the lines of that. I think it was season one Gonzo, and because I had only seen 80s-90s Gonzo the earlier one weirded me out a bit, heh. x3
  7. blackaerin

blackaerin Active Member

Our family didn't watch tv a lot but we had a HUGE collection of VHS' that we'd watch and rewatch again and again.
    grew up with my little sister watching our vhs copies of the sesame street 25th anniversary, Yes I Can! Muppet Babies series, the Mother Goose Stories, Muppets Classic Theatre, and Muppet Treasure island.
    But that's actually small compared to our Disney and Barney collections. Looking back, i feel sorta sad i didn't have more of the Muppets to our collection. :(
  8. Beauregard

I think the one I used to see was after Beauty and the Beast, and it was Piggy/Kermit and the babies.

I also remember Piggy talking about visiting the swamp and the surprises that she found there :p

I see to recall them all ending with Kermit being karate-chopped right into the stage curtain...which I have never seen since. Did that really happen?
  9. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

My earliest Muppet experiences, other than Sesame Street, would have to be "The Muppets Take Manhattan", which apparently I watched a lot with my older sister when I was pretty small, Muppet Babies, and the "Muppet Matinee" on Nickelodeon... I remember watching "The Frog Prince" with my mom and I would have been around 7 or 8. We also had this VHS tape that I'm pretty sure predates me and was made for my sister; it contained numerous Christmas and Thanksgiving specials taped off of TV and I know "Muppet Family Christmas" was on there (as was "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street"). I really wish I knew what happened to that tape.
  10. Beauregard

Aww...Yeah, Muppet Family Christmas is a stunning piece of Muppetry. The first time I watched that, I got to the end...rewound the tape, and watched it again from the top right away. (I still do that sometimes!)
  11. MeepMeepBork

MeepMeepBork Member

I was born in '91, so I grew up with a nice mix of pre- and post- Henson Muppets. I remember watching The Muppet Show even before Sesame Street, thanks to the "It's the Muppets: Meet the Muppets" tape. Looking back on it now, I am quite certain that watching those snippets of TMS as a little one is the reason why I'm currently a theatre major. It made me want to act and sing and dance and just ham it up on stage (though my living room had to do back then).

Every day after school I would pop in either that, The Great Muppet Caper, Muppet Classic Theater, or Muppet Treasure Island (or if it was in season, Muppet Christmas Carol). I don't remember if I owned the Muppet Sing-Along videos or if I just rented them a lot, but those were a big part of my childhood as well.

I remember having two stuffed Kermits. I had a full-sized one that was a very good likeness of him, and a smaller plush in Captain Smollett garb (I was about five when MTI came out). I dragged the former around with me everywhere and slept with him every night. I really wish I still had him... Either of them.

Oh, and I had a Kermit cake for my third birthday. I grew up loving the frog. :)
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I was raised on a steady diet of Muppets(original run, woot!) and Sesame Street. By the early 80's I was already avidly collecting anything Muppet Show or Sesame I could get ahold of at Thrift Stores and garages sales(hey, I was raised crazy dirt poor, heh)
    Three decades as a massive diehard Muppets/Henson fan, yet I still look 22. It's great

I would say my favorite time period of being a Muppets fan was
    by far the late 1980's, seconded only by the mid-late 1990's period. The Jim Henson Hour, Muppet Family Christmas, Muppets on Cosby Show, Muppets @ Walt Disney World, and everything else from that 1987-1989 period is pure magic to me. As well as anything Fraggle Rock related. (Sadly I didnt really start watching Fraggle Rock til its Disney channel run in the early 1990's)

Sooo hoping for another Muppetfest type thing
  13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Yep. Essentially for whatever reason, out of the 55 year history of the Muppets...MFC and M@WDW are my absolute two favorite Muppet things ever next to the Muppet show pilot, Muppet Movie, Muppets Take Manhattan and JHH.
  14. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Hmm...I don't think it would even be physically possible to remember as far back as to when I was first introduced to the Muppets, but I'll try to think up a few memories:

*My Tickle-Me-Elmo plush.

*Sitting in my little pink plastic chair in the middle of the room in front of the TV watching Elmo Saves Christmas over and over and over again...

*Watching tapes of Elmo's World.

*Listening to a Sesame Street CD. (Which I had playing in the car today on the way home from school.)

*Definitely not earliest, but I was still quite young, watching Don't Eat the Pictures in art class every year for the first few years of elementary school and Kermit's Swamp Years in Spanish class back in fourth or fifth grade.

*Also, much later, but it seems like so long ago, seeing this exhibit for the first time. (Also went see it again in Mississippi a couple of months ago.)
  15. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Let's see...I was born in 1985, so I'm too young to have seen TMS the first time around, but I do remember peering over my parents' shoulders as they watched re-runs of TMS. Looking back on it, I think I must have seen part of the Joel Grey episode, because I remember lots of flying glitter and "Razzle Dazzle." Plus the occasional explosion.

Then, of course, I watched SST as a young kid, and my parents had taped The Muppet Movie when it aired on television years ago.
  16. analeisa

analeisa Member

Well, I was raised on a steady diet of Muppet stuff too. My first birthday party was Big Bird themed. I remember watching Sesame Street sing along tapes, recorded episodes of Fraggle Rock, Muppet Classic Theater, and The Frog Prince over and over. I also remember having two beloved Kermit dolls: one in the nude and one in the Christmas Carol vest.

That said, my earliest Muppet experience was seeing The Muppet Christmas Carol in the theater. I was only a few months old at the time but it still captured my attention. My family has watched the movie every Christmas since then.
  17. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Aww, that's awesome, so cute. :) I had an Elmo-themed party for either my 3rd or 4th birthday (which I remember like it was yesterday): My mum, being the creative type, made me an Elmo face (which she put on the cake) and an almost life-sized paper cutout-thingy of Elmo's mum (complete with googly eyes and curly hair). Those were the days...

With the exception of my SSt plushies I got in the mid-90s and a few other things, I got most of my Henson stuff from op-shops and garage sales too. :) Although most of them have dropped off now (due to eBay and whatnot), I found and have still been able to find some really cool stuff from purchesing second-hand! :)
  18. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

I forgot about my "Sing Yourself Silly" VHS-- that's basically how I first knew who Don Music was-- and also my set of 4 Sesame Street cassette tapes I got when I was about 4. It's mostly been thanks to YouTube in recent years that I've been able to see the classic bits that I had only heard the audio of all this time (last week I finally saw "Keep the Park Clean for the Pigeons"!).
  19. Beauregard

Hey, how come you watched Kermit's Swamp Years in Spanish Class?

Muppet cakes! I once had an awesome Kermit one, but I was about 16 and totally helped to make it. Does this make me a saddo? I think not!

Now there's the kind of diet I can really get my teeth around...
  20. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I think my earliest memories of the Muppets would have to be watching Sesame Street as a kid in the '80s. And I basically never stopped. I still love it.:insatiable:
    I do recall having Sesame Street candles on most of my early birthday cakes. (I think there was Bert, Ernie, Oscar, Cookie Monster and Big Bird in that set. Maybe Grover too.) I also remember having some Sesame Street books- "The Monster at the End of this Book" is definitely one of my top favorites. "Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree" is probably a close second. I remember seeing "Follow That Bird" on TV somewhere in the late '80s and later seeing "The Muppets at Walt Disney World" on TV in 1990. And I watched "Dinosaurs" when that first aired, as well as "Aliens in the Family"- which ended too quickly. I also remember watching "Muppets Tonight" when that first aired- I was quite excited about seeing that on ABC!
    I also grew up watching The Muppet Show (in reruns obviously) and Muppet Babies (first run of course!) and Fraggle Rock and the Fraggle Rock cartoon series. Later on I watched a lot more Muppet things through library videos and getting a few myself second-hand- "The Muppet Movie" and "The Great Muppet Caper" I saw on the 1993 re-release VHS tapes, but it wasn't until somewhere around 1999 or so when "The Muppets Take Manhattan" was finally re-released that I was able to see that. And it's quickly become one of my favorites. If I remember correctly, I do believe I saw "The Muppet Christmas Carol" and "Muppet Treasure Island" in theaters. And I know I saw "Muppets From Space" in theaters. And from there I've sought out the various Muppet specials and so forth- the public library got me access to tons of Sesame Street videos as well as some Muppet specials like "The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show" and "The Muppets Go to the Movies" which I finally saw a while back. And I had the 1995 VHS release of "Muppet Family Christmas" for a long while until I was able to acquire an unedited copy through this site- which is awesome to watch! I'd still love to see an official unedited copy released though. And I finally eventually saw "The Dark Crystal" and "Labyrinth" and those were awesome too!
    And yeah- the Muppet love just continues from there.:coy::)