1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Earliest experience?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by WhiteRabbit, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

I have no idea. I guess it was just the day before summer break or something. Either way, watching Muppets in school is totally awesome. :)

Oh, and also, I just remembered about some Sesame Street computer games I used to play when I was very young. At the moment I can only think of one that had Sherlock Hemlock. :search: Also, I think I may have had some kind of computer software with the classic Muppets on it.
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

You know, I seem to recall in the early to mid 90's, Nickelodeon running a daily Muppet Show/Muppet Babies combo. I think...my memory may be a bit fuzzy there.
  3. analeisa

analeisa Member

No, I remember Muppet re-runs on Nick too. Plus, Muppet Wiki confirms this to be the case: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Nickelodeon
  4. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

My mom, we were flipping through channels and kermit was on, it is actually the first memory i have from baby hood, the same weekend she went to a garage sale and bought me my first Kermit Plush, i was sleeping in the car and woke up to him in my baby seat, then we went to mcdonalds and did a photo shoot....good times
  5. muppetmonster

muppetmonster New Member

Sesame Street: when I was five or six, my mother took my sister and I to Sesame Place. When I was maybe earlier, Big Bird came to my birthday part.

The Muppet Show: when I was eleven or twelve, I was going to through my old VHS tapes and I noticed that my mother recorded "the Great Muppet Caper." I saw that, and fell in love with the muppets from "the Muppet Show." I also saw "Muppet Babies" around that time, which I liked back then, but I do not care for it anymore.

I cannot remember my first memory of "Fraggle Rock."

These are my fondest memories, but I have more I cannot recall. I will edit if I think of any more important memories.

- Muppetmonster
  6. SeanC

SeanC Member

Many of my earliest memories are Muppet related. I was born in 1977, and while that makes me just ever so slightly too young to have seen the first two seasons on initial broadcast, I know I watched seasons 3 to 5 while sitting on my mother’s knee. I even remember the routine. First it was time for supper ( fish fingers and peas feature prominently in my recollections ), then I was taken upstairs for a bath, and after that it was down again to watch ‘The Muppet Show’ while wrapped in a towel - a nice big open fire to my left. I even remember the show that proceeded The Muppets - a gameshow called ‘Family Fortunes’ ( I was watching in Ireland, but the broadcasts were on the British ITV network, which we received on cable ).
    I have to admit that the Muppet monsters in the title sequence freaked me out somewhat, particularly Sweetums and Thog. While I can understand my childhood fear of Sweetums, I’m not sure why I felt scared of Thog. Perhaps it was his imposing size. I’m pretty sure that had I’d seen an episode where he spoke, such as the Harvy Korman one, I would have quite liked him. Actually had quite a few nightmares about those monsters, particularly after the Godzilla-sized Thog turned up in the Loretta Swit episode! That said, I never had a problem with Doglion or Mean Mamma. I actually quite liked Doglion, and still do.
    I remember for a long time assuming Gonzo was a little elephant, and thinking the wire sticking out of Kermit’s arm was a microphone cable. Lots of memories of Animal, Dr. Teeth and Rowlf. ‘Pigs in Space’ stuck in my mind, particularly the opening narration, and I think I must have seen ‘The Muppet Movie’ at some point during this period as the image of a giant Animal bursting out of a rooftop was in my head for a long time. I also have a vague memory of Fletcher Bird ( a character I’ve since developed an odd fascination with ), although for many years I was unsure if he existed or was just a figment of my childhood imagination. Needless to say, when I bought the season 3 DVD set and watched the Leo Sayer episode, I gave a mighty yelp of vindication :) . Actually, I got that feeling several times while watching season 3 on DVD… the sudden rush of nostalgia as, just for a moment, a long buried memory rose to the surface and told me what was going to happen next. I get the same feeling when I watch old ’Dr. Who’ episodes from the same period. Nice to know that all your 30 year old memories are stored somewhere deep in the brain. I expect this will intensify when the boxsets for seasons 4 and 5 are finally released - hopefully sooner rather than later!