Earliest Muppet/Disney Collaborations

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Muppetfan44 had a good question that came up on last week's MuppetCast: what was the first thing that Disney and the Muppets worked on together?

She also found and sent me some really great video of a 1989 Euro-Disney special starring Piggy, Mickey, Minnie, and a Prince that does a quick transformation at the end. You can watch it here.

I didn't know the answer to her question, but I knew who might. So here's what Craig Shemin had to say on the subject:

I couldn't say for sure which was the first thing, but as I think Eurodisney was in the midst of construction when the Henson deal was made, so I do recall that we did a bunch of stuff for that. (I remember writing some stuff for a live press event in France - I didn't get to go, but my fax machine had a lovely time sending the script).

Since this aired around Christmas of 89, it would have predated Muppets at WDW and Here Come the Muppets... The Muppets also appeared on the WDW Christmas Parade TV broadcast in 89.
...so in answer to Muppetfan44's question, I'd have to say that the video she found is among the first material put together by Jim and the Disney company. Very cool!

Luke

Reaction score
There is something up with that video - as it says on the site - Eurodisney didn't exist until 1992 and thats a set they are on. It must be one of the first Henson/Disney collabs but i think the show details are innacurate.

Redsonga

Reaction score
*lol* I love how she goes in and just steals a random duke :3!
It's too bad the ending was cut off :frown: