1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Ebay Puppet For Sale!

Discussion in 'Puppets For Sale' started by Show and Tell, May 7, 2005.

1. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

My first ebay auction. This is Nelley. The design has been altered from a monster I bought. It has a belting mouthplate and a throat tube for swallowing props. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Tanks u guys!​
    um... and gals ​
    If someone could show me how to post a link with the highlighted word it would be most appreciated.:o
  2. Blink

Blink Member

Hey Puppet_Builder,

I would love to see your puppet, but the link doesn't seem to work for me. Any idea what's wrong? :confused:
  3. DMETxix

DMETxix New Member

Judging from the page we're sent to, it was either cancelled by Puppet_Builder or removed by ebay (faulty info?). :confused:

Anyway, when you make a post and want to add a 'fancy' link, click on the globe icon with the chain below it (4th from the right), the rest should speak for itself. :)
  4. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

I think its because I don't have the auction starting untill 7pm PDT. I'll post some preview pics here. Okay this works
  5. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

WOW! Your kidding. Was it that bad? I mean I know its not exactly original or anything but its my first monster. 60 people have looked at this thread and not a single comment. Is the link I put in working? I really could use the feedback
  6. bobhopesite

bobhopesite Active Member

7. Blink

Blink Member

Hey Puppet_Builder,

Sorry I didn't get back right away. I have been very busy, but I have some down time now.

Great puppet! The eyes are especially wonderful. I like the little bit of white reflection in the the black pupils. Did you make them or were they purchased like that?

Many times the art of choosing a good material for a puppet can make or break the entire look of the character. I love the unique choice of fabrics. For me, however the eyes are the exceptional part of this puppet. Great first attempt!

Keep up the super work.
  8. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Whoa! You just put up a working link yesterday, most of those views probably came when the 1st link wasn't working or something.

Anyway, it's FRIGGIN AWESOME! Cool plus that the hands are controllable too. Is this your 1st eBay auction ever? Only asking, cuz a lot of people won't bid too high from a 1st time seller, but maybe you'll luck out cuz you can obviously tell that it's an original!

GREAT JOB! :excited:
  9. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

Actually I made the eyes out of a racket ball cut in half. I painted them white and the pupils are vinyl material used to make bumper stickers out of. I have a whole punch that makes little circles and I cut the white glares out before I put them on with a blade. I used craft foam for the lashes and blue polar fleece for the eye lids. So you think I need to drop the starting bid?

Sorry about that. :o
  10. Blink

Blink Member

I think the starting bid is just fine.

Remember that auctions are not always about how good someone's puppet is. I have grabbed up an amazing puppet for practically nothing, just because I was really the only one bidding on it. Sometimes you might have an average puppet that many people want and the price can sky rocket. There is no exact science to it.

Remember that the results of your auction are not always indicative of your puppet building abilities. Keep building and hopefully you will make some big money in the process. And if your don't keep building.

All the best on your auction.
  11. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

Thanks Blink! Very encouraging.
  12. DMETxix

DMETxix New Member

I can only repeat others in saying that you really did a nice job on the eyes, they really bring the puppet to life, good work!

As far as the price is concerned, I think it's more than fine.
  13. Iokitek

Iokitek New Member

Oh hey the links works now :) I like it. Nuff said.
  14. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Blink's absolutely right, there is zero correlation between your ability and the price your work goes for on ebay.

I think the starting bid isn't bad (some people start at over $50 and they never sell) but I know that some builders have success because they start their bids really, really low around $5 but have a much higher reserve price. The conventional ebay logic is that way you get a higher volume of bids which eventually drives the price up higher.

I think if you want to see an example of someone who uses ebay really effectively check out Puppet Planet. Michelle uses ebay to build awareness of her work, but doesn't use it as her primary sales channel. Most people can't get good prices for their puppets on ebay, but the auctions often lead to other, full-price sales and commissions for custom work.
  15. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

That was about the most fun! I have never seen anything on ebay shoot up like that before. I was kinda worried earlier today thinking I should have started the bid higher and thinking I was gonna seriously lose out on this ebay thing but how incredibly quick it climbed in the last couple hours! I'm happy.I feel I got pretty close to what its worth in the end. Well I'm off to go make some more! ;)
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement.
  16. Tim Kelly

Tim Kelly Member

Darn it, I almost won! Oh, well. Better luck next time!
  17. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Once again, great looking puppet, can't wait for the next! :excited:
  18. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

anyone interesteed in a Puppet similar to "Nelley" or maybe you'd like a different creation, send me an email at puppet_builder@yahoo.com I'll send a price based on what your looking for.
    P.S. I don't do replicas of other peoples work. ie. Henson
  19. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

Great puppet! I bet you were quite pleased with the price, I know I would be. I'd have to pay someone to take any of mine away from me, lol.
  20. Show and Tell

Show and Tell Member

Yes I am happy with what I got for "Nelley". I've always heard you rarely get even near what something is worth on Ebay but I got pretty close to what I would charge if someone just ordered it from me plus had the excitment of the auction.