Edgier Muppets?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jamie,

I dont mind what the Muppets do, Im always ready to see where else they can go with themselves, And what other things they can do.

I really dont mind, Aslong as they keep the Muppets as themselves.
For instance; I dont wanna see Miss Piggy as some house wife, Or Gonzo as a quiet person.

But when i heard about Scooter in a cage at a rave, It did weird me out - LOL

But i still cant wait to see what its about, If you think about it its very possible that Scooter would be going to raves these days.
He is the right age, and this is the right day.

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah and i mean, who hasn't danced in a cage at Rave parties ...... right guys ???? *looks around*

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Scooter's a kid and he'd be out having fun. And I think Miss Piggy has taken on a matrony look and style since the 90s that really disturbs me. She certainly is not a housewife, but I feel she has been headed in that direction until recently. I hope this special changes that - and her boring hairstyle. I don't think they'll ever change the characters' personalities - well, there was that Fozzie thing.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I don't think they'll ever change the characters' personalities - well, there was that Fozzie thing.
Exactly...

Luke,
Uhm... Yeah... Right...

(Hasnt even been to a rave, And never will)

See ya

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I agree. That was always Jim's dilemma - he was always pegged as a children's performer. And people still peg puppets as kid's fare. The Muppets always had more dimension than that and (until Jim's departure) always reflected the times. I feel some people want to keep the characters in some sort of time capsule. It that's the case, than no new programs should be made because you can't recapture an era. Jim Henson was always about the evolution of an idea.

By the way, for those of you worried about the updated hipness of the Muppets: '''It's about being true to our characters and not trying to make them ridiculously hip.'' Recalls ''Simpsons'' vet Tom Martin, who cowrote the ''Muppet Christmas'' screenplay...' From the EW article. I don't think there's any cause to worry.

As for the rave/drug comment, well...The Electric Mayhem, y'all. From the origins of Floyd's spiral eyes to Zoot's "out of it" behavior, the Electric Mayhem have had some subtle references to drug use. Of course it was never promoted and went over the heads of kids. So I don't think Scooter simply dancing at a rave for 2.5 seconds is a very big deal. Maybe he's in the cage to get away from the drug users. :wink: LOL! Hey, Ken! Can we get Raver Scooter?
you have been saying the same thing for 3 posts. and I agree they are edgier I have no problem with the egg-nog thing but the Scooter is not the kind of person to cage dance,now Janice that would be funny.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Wow,
I just came out of my usual "Ask Ken" only mode, to come to this section, hoping to start a thread, and thus some discussion about this topic, and specific things mentioned in the article, only to find that I'd been beaten to the punch. I guess it only figures, when comparing the number of my posts to that of about any one of you guys, though I do visit and read, at least, every day.
Anyways, I am very worried for the Muppets, yet very hopeful, at the same time. I feel very worried/hopeful, based on the fact that I feel that the fate of the Muppets rests in this very special, which, when going over the nature of what is known about it, thus far, is quite worrisome. I know they'll never be the Muppets of Jim's lifetime, but hey, I thought MFS was great, and got closer to recapturing some of that Muppet magic than ever before, though it also had its moments of more mainstream-humorness (Fozzie's nose-picking, for example). Also, from what I saw of MT, that was great just to see them on TV, again, doing skits and songs and stuff.
However, I do fear for this special, though I will be most likely watching and taping it, in hope. First, there are the co-stars. I know there are some gems in there, like the great Sir Michael Caine, who worked wonderfully with the Muppets before, in MCC, as well as the always funny Jon Stewart, of the Daily Show. Even more hopeful, is the idea of an appearance of a puppet who's supposed to be edgy and vulgar, Triumph, the insult comic dog. Triumph is one of the funniest things out there, today, and being the puppet he is, would be quite interesting to see how he interacted with his felty predecessors. This is the dog who made lewd jokes about two certain best buddies living at 123 Sesame Street, in a live show.
Then again, there are the main performers. Cusack's alright, but nothing so special. Then there's that idiot, David Arquette. However, he's nothing compared to his "boss", (is this saying she's supposed to be G-D???) WHOOPI FREAKIN' GOLDBERG?!?!?!? Please say it's not true! Plus, there's Carson Daly, Mr. TRL, and Molly "repeat the joke until it's dead beyond dead" Shannon. Jeez, this is sad, from a group who had such classy stars hosting their original TV venture.
Well, let's consider this just part 1 of my complaints, with the other stuff to come, as I gotta go. Take care.

-Squigiman

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Squigiman

I'm glad to see someone appreciates Triumph too. LOL! Now that's someone I never thought the Muppets would work with! I'd say I was concerned, but I don't think Brian Henson would keep in anything too vulgar. They likely use those clips for wrap parties.

kansasteen14

I've been expressing the same sentiment, but stating quite different examples and additional information in my posts. I cernainly don't find them offensive and you always have the right to skip them. :wink:

As for Scooter's personality and his dancing in the cage. I'm sure it's a short clip and a sight-gag. The fact some viewers find it a bit out of character may very well be the joke here. No one would be shocked if Janice were dancing at a rave.

Ryan

Reaction score
Squigiman

As for Scooter's personality and his dancing in the cage. I'm sure it's a short clip and a sight-gag. The fact some viewers find it a bit out of character may very well be the joke here. No one would be shocked if Janice were dancing at a rave.
That's what I meant. LOL. Exactly. :big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like how your Scooter avatar looks like it's looking at my Scooter avatar. I don't know about you, but I always get a strange laugh out of that. Okay, so I'm just plain weird!:big_grin:

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
I agree. That was always Jim's dilemma - he was always pegged as a children's performer. And people still peg puppets as kid's fare.

Don't I know it! I still get pegged at school when i break out into Bearker speak or mock swedish, or even Marvin Suggs or Animal.