Egypt Bans Bruce Almighty

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I understand and totally support freedom of speech, religion and all that good stuff; but these people are nuts:

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20031108/D7UMKELG0.html?PG=home&SEC=news

"CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - Egyptian authorities have banned the Jim Carrey film "Bruce Almighty," saying the comedy infringes on God's sacredness.

Madkour Thabit, who heads the state-run censorship body responsible for audio and visual productions, criticized the movie Friday for featuring "actors playing the role of God."

"The name of the movie - 'Bruce Almighty' - indicates that there is someone who can do anything and everything," Thabit said in a statement faxed to The Associated Press. "Such traits belong only to God."

In the film, Carrey plays a TV reporter who gets a shot at being God for a week.

In June, Egyptian censors banned "The Matrix Reloaded" on religious grounds, saying it challenged the topics of existence and creation.:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
well, right now egypt is having problems with it's government (can you tell I Foreign Extempt?) and they are trying to keep these movies away from the younger generation.....before long, I fear it'll be another zimbabwe....