Eleven Years Later: Disney buys Muppets and Bear

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was really upset with the movies how they put in the credits "Based on characters and property owned by Disney." I found that to be really disrespectful; they could have at least shown some consideration and have instead, "Based on characters developed by Jim Henson."
I know, this is why I'm highly skeptical about copyright laws and similar measures. They don't seem to benefit the art. Only the conglomerates.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, when it comes to entertainment, it's pretty much been observed that in the U.S., it's more about making money, whereas other countries really put more focus on the actual art and talent that goes into it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, when it comes to entertainment, it's pretty much been observed that in the U.S., it's more about making money, whereas other countries really put more focus on the actual art and talent that goes into it.
Yeah that's always the hard truth to be faced about anything related to the US, hehe.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I agree with you on the part of erasing Jim, but I think I read somewhere where Disney has to pay every time they use Jim Henson's name. Which I personally think is sad.
I hope that's not why Disney has not released a lot of pre-2004 Muppet productions. Jim's name is in the credits (and for the post-1990 productions, his name is in the Jim Henson Productions/Jim Henson Television credits). Then again, would they have to pay for the use of his credit in productions he worked on?

Another thing mentioned in those articles was that there'd probably never be another MFC-style crossover between the Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock, but there kind of has been: Jim Henson's Musical World. Though the three franchises were kept separate at that event.

aric

Reaction score
hope Disney put on tms ans all muppets shows and movies

beaker

Reaction score
As much as it's easy to bag on JHC(grain of salt/boy who cried wolf pretty much applies to anything they've announced in the last decade plus when it comes to movies), it took Disney forever to do anything significant with the Muppets. And that was virtually only due to mega fan Jason Segal and Nick Stoller obsessively forcing the mouse's hand. To Disney's credit, they went exhaustively overboard in the marketing of both movies(especially 2011), but aside from that and tie-in tv talk show appearances the future of the Muppets seems as murky as ever. Especially in light of the disappointing return from MMW. Like many fans I've pretty much on ever seeing TMS Season 4 and 5 released or much in the way of new merchandise...but geez, at least make a new special or limited tv show.

But the OTHER truth is we never would have gotten an actual theatrical Muppet film, let alone two, under JHC and Sony or whoever they chose to go through. Just wouldn't have happened. So while we often lament about the unbelievably amazing 2002-2005 merchandise era, it was also kind of a dark period for the direction of the franchise.

So I don't know...now that Disney has this freakish runaway hit "Frozen", Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, as well as looking to relaunch their own classic character brand I see the Muppets sadly drifting further and further away from their priorities.

Of course I also kind of blame the public for not really appreciating the Muppets in a significant modern context; as the point was made over and over in the 2011 film.

beaker

Reaction score
Also, seriously I still don't get why Disney completely abandoned Bear once they bought them completely. BITBBH was already a co production with Disney, on the Disney channel. I can't think of a single Muppet/Henson related kid's puppet show since Bear that actually worked on multiple levels and could be enjoyed by older fans. Can anyone over 6 actually sit through Pajanimals, Animal Jam, Hoobs, etc? Bear was such a warm, magical character and unlike most pre school aimed shows, it NEVER insulted or coddled one's intelligence.

beaker

Reaction score
11 years since Disney has owned the Muppets. Or as I like to call it, less time that it took for JHC to not complete and release Power of the Dark Crystal. Let's never forget that. Disney managed to get out two movies. Only movie Henson was able to get out was Alexander and the Very Bad Day, and only because they were producers when it was at Fox. Unless you count those lousy CGI DTV Shrek wannabees.

Sure, it's disappointing we only had one TV special and 2 movies with other specials and TV projects in the same development purgatory they'd be at Henson, but think of this.

A DTV Muppet project helmed by the Weinstein bros that would have made MWO look like a timeless, coherent, not seizure inducing masterpiece. All with them playing second to F-list celebrities.

Admit it. That's a chilling reality. No matter how much Geewunner crap you can fling at TM and MMW.

But yeah. I wish Disney would give the Muppets the same amount of love as a standard Pixar movie. And sure, the merchandising level is thinner than we'd want. But it's not like they're completely devoid of a merchandising presence. Not in the same way Fraggle Rock can only get by on high end garbage no one can afford and that interests no one. I'm disappointed we didn't have a swath of bean bag versions of characters like Monsters U had. I mean, they had the most obscure characters in the background of the movie as merchandising there. You mean to tell us we couldn't see a Scooter? But, frankly, Disney Store's Big Hero Six merchandise was all the same Ban-Dai toyline you could find anywhere, 3 large plushes (both versions of Baymax and a Fred), and a figure set. Being a huge fan of that movie, I was disappointed to say the least. And the Wreck-it Ralph merchandise imploded with too much focus on the Sugar Rush racers. All the other stuff sold solidly, they hung around, the line was cleared the heck out. I'm going on a tangent here, but...

there are things that Disney cares less about. That's any TV animation of any kind. And that now includes Phineas and Ferb, which gets a shocking cold shoulder after years of love. Sure, there's supposedly another Darkwing Duck series of comics coming out soon, but it's little beyond that. There's a lot of 20 year olds that grew up with TDA characters, and you'd think that would be a lock for making some nostalgia bucks. But noooooo. Capcom and WayForward put more care into Ducktales with one game than they did.
Big Hero 6 in just a few months got more merchandise than we'll ever see with the Muppets again. So many figures, plushes, etc. Which is cool, I loved Big Hero 6 but don't see it being a franchise. And rather would have seen more Up merchandise. But alas. Also weird Big Hero 6 IS A MARVEL COMIC, owned by Disney, but nowhere on any merchandise or advertising is Marvel's logo or the creator's name of the series.

I have too noticed that after several years of non stop merch it's died down, but that happens with a lot of series.

One thing all of us fans should be VERY VERY happy about is the
Muppet, Fraggle, Sesame and related Henson comic books and graphic novels. I never expected that to happen, and it's been an amazing ride with those.