Eleven Years Later: Disney buys Muppets and Bear

beaker

Reaction score
Seriously, what happened to BIG HERO 1-5? :stick_out_tongue:
Haha...yes.

Though seriously why wasn't this a Marvel film? Uh, Big Hero 6 is a Marvel comic series but nowhere in the marketing or film do you see the Marvel logo. Cool film though

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
You know what? I say bravo to Disney. Yeah, we only got 2 movies so far, but more importantly, the Muppets are a household name once again. They brought them back in to the public eye. Dare I say more things are in the work (via. Kirk Thatcher), and I am sure they will be lovely. The Muppets are a hard franchise to push in this day and age, seeing as most Disney films are now animated, but yet, these movies did considerably well in the box office (TM more than MMW, but still, they didn't LOSE any money on these projects). Seriously, if it weren't for Disney stepping in, who knows what would have happened to the Muppet franchise. I can assure you that Jim would be very happy with how things have gone.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
The only gigantic issue I have with Disney's purchase of the Muppets and Bear is that they didn't buy Fraggle Rock. If Disney had bought the rights to Fraggle Rock, a revival of some sort (or even just some larger appearances, or speaking appearances) would have been a possibility. :sigh:

Even better would have been if Disney had bought all of the Henson company, so they could keep all the Henson productions together (except Sesame Street).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The only gigantic issue I have with Disney's purchase of the Muppets and Bear is that they didn't buy Fraggle Rock. If Disney had bought the rights to Fraggle Rock, a revival of some sort (or even just some larger appearances, or speaking appearances) would have been a possibility. :sigh:
The only thing is, I really enjoyed all the behind the scenes bonus features on the Fraggle Rock DVD's. My life long love of documentaries came in part from Jim Henson (and Walt Disney, incidentally). Whereas, Disney currently has this silly phobia of admitting the Muppets are puppets.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
The only thing is, I really enjoyed all the behind the scenes bonus features on the Fraggle Rock DVD's. My life long love of documentaries came in part from Jim Henson. Whereas, Disney has this silly phobia of admitting the Muppets are puppets.
It's not a phobia nor is it silly.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
The only thing is, I really enjoyed all the behind the scenes bonus features on the Fraggle Rock DVD's. My life long love of documentaries came in part from Jim Henson. Whereas, Disney has this silly phobia of admitting the Muppets are puppets.
That's very true. I'd very much prefer to see some new Fraggle Rock material over more Muppet material. I just feel like the Fraggles should appear a lot more often than they do. :sigh:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's very true. I'd very much prefer to see some new Fraggle Rock material over more Muppet material. I just feel like the Fraggles should appear a lot more often than they do. :sigh:
Oh, believe me, I understand.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
You know what? I say bravo to Disney. Yeah, we only got 2 movies so far, but more importantly, the Muppets are a household name once again.
They are? Could have fooled me.

but yet, these movies did considerably well in the box office (TM more than MMW, but still, they didn't LOSE any money on these projects).
MMW made only $1 million more domestically than it cost to produce. That's not good at all. I wouldn't call that "considerably well".

I can assure you that Jim would be very happy with how things have gone.
I don't like when people say this, because how could anyone REALLY know how someone like Henson would feel about things like this?

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Worldwide, MMW had a $30 million gross, which is better than some movies, and I say Jim would be proud because he always wanted the Muppets to become part of the Disney family. I understand that people have their opinions, and that is just what I wrote; an opinion.