Elmo and Zoe

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Is it me, or is Sesame Workshop producing more Elmo and Zoe merchandise more than any other charcther? It seems every time you go to a store, you see Elmo and Zoe t- shirts, Elmo and Zoe shoes, Elmo and Zoe hats and etc. What's up with that? Are those the only two charcthers children can identify with these days?
No. Get ready for a lot more Abby Merchandise.:wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
However, most of the books and toys seem pretty much required to have Elmo on them. It just doesn't bring up warm feelings to me, when it looks like he NEEDS to be there. If you want the toy, you need to tolerate him, there's no choice in the matter. Not very democratic, Sesame Street! Heh
'

Would have to agree with you, and more of the time there not even being subtle with him in the least, LOL!

BEAR

Reaction score
Yup... Gund is really doing some awesome stuff with the license, aren't they?

Tyco made a lot more in terms of bean bags... but they weren't as quality as the gund ones...

The Tyco ones are...
  • Baby Bear
  • Barkley
  • Big Bird
  • Betty lou
  • Honker
  • Mumford
  • Natasha
  • Snuffy
  • Count VonCount
  • Twiddle Bug
  • Guy Smiley
  • Grover
  • Bert
  • Ernie
  • Elmo
  • Oscar
  • Zoe
  • Rosita
  • Cookie Monster
  • Herry monster
  • Rubber Duckie
  • Sherlock hemlock
  • Telly monster
  • Benny Rabbit

I love the Beanies. I have every single one, including both the purple AND green Honkers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No. Get ready for a lot more Abby Merchandise.:wink:
But am I the only one that thinks that you see Ernie and Cookie just as much as Elmo?

I mean, I looked up on the Sesame Place shop website, and there were at least 2 more pages than Elmo for Cookie Monster....

I just want cookie merchandise that doesn't look like a blue twiddle bug... i want something shaggy.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
No you're not the only one. But it kinda throws me off a little when I see Barkley or someone like that somewhere. But you gotta love it! though!:smile:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Elmo and Zoe appear on the most things, but so don't Big Bird and Cookie. Usually they just have Cookie, Elmo and Big Bird on things, especially food items (I found a sticker of them on a carton of Strawberries).

Grover and Oscar made come backs of sorts... And they finally decided Ernie needs Bert. So I guess they're getting better as time goes on.
Not lately, it seems they've really been doing Cookie, Elmo,and Oscar.:grouchy: It's like they've just forgotten all about Big Bird(again).:rolleyes: And Abby has completely taken Zoe's spot on merchandise already. Get ready for "Elmo and Abby" ladies and gentlemen. Why can't Abby interact with more charcthers besides Elmo? Ya know, like Ernie, Rosita, or Big Bird?

Argh.....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the company. Mattel is pretty much the Ernie/Elmo/Cookie group. They do have merchandise that's just starting to feature Oscar, as well as Bert and sometimes Grover.

There was a set of PVC's available at the dollar store (by a company I forget the name of. it's the ___________ Teddy bear company, somewhere in California), and it featured Elmo, Zoe, Big Bird, Cookie, Ernie and Bert. Same thing with Gund. But they also have Oscar and Grover... and they've brought the Snuffy doll from a 35th anniversary product to their current line.

Abby stuff is around, but I don't see much variety with it. I think she will replace Zoe, but to be honest, I don't see Zoe stuff half as much as Ernie, Elmo and Cookie...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
OMFG! A Yip-Yip toy? Awesome! The Yip-Yips rocked.

Rocked. Yip-yip-yip-yip-yip...Uh huh-uh huh...*laughs*

Though my ultimate favorite Sesame character is The Count. Too bad he's only mediocre in the eyes of merchandisers. Must be the "vampire with arithmomania" thing Count has. :big_grin:

But as to the topic, I think we get Elmo, because there's still popularity from Elmo's World around, just as we get Ernie, because of Journey to Ernie and because he is one of the few characters originally played by Henson to still have true exposure, & we get Cookie, due to the recent issue of him advocating healthy eating.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, Ernie actually started becoming popular around 1999, with the release of Sing and Snore Ernie. I was half expecting a Cookie Monster toy the likes of Tickle and Snore Ernie at one point. I think they did, but only outside the US.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Why not let some of the other characters get some spotlight, too?