Elmo Knows Your Name Malfunction with name "James".

Convincing John

Reaction score
Anyone seen this yet? Yet another Elmo Fisher Price product is acting up...the "Elmo Knows Your Name" doll. There's at least one out there saying something strange.

You can hear what Elmo is saying by clicking the "Video: Listen to Elmo" underneath the photo or you can click here:

http://www.tbo.com/video/xml/MGBBBA7WXCF.html

If you have this Elmo, does yours say the same thing? If so and there are young ones in your house, you might want to consider reprogramming it to see what happens. It could be a bunch of them doing this or maybe it's just that one. Regardless, it's worth investigating :search: if you own one of these guys.

Just a heads-up to Elmo collectors out there.

Convincing John

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
If I hadn't watched the video clip, I'd have thought this came straight from The Onion! Wow, kind of strange, but funny at the same time. What really makes me laugh is the fact that the news anchor keeps talking about the battery change, as if changing dead batteries and putting in new ones is what caused Elmo to say "Kill James".

I suggest the mother simply try different batteries, possibly ones that aren't evil.

By the way, my computer has been acting funny lately. I suspect it might be a virus, but my computer guy is convinced that it's demons.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Note to Steve: GET A MAC!

Sorry for being not-so-subtle, but seriously, Windows Vista IS the worst possible Windows version ever. I thought XP took the cake, I was wrong.

BJ

Drtooth

Reaction score
Once again... these &^%^ toys at one point contained deadly lead paint, and these idiot mothers are worried that a mumbled, jumbled phrase ambiguously sounds like something offensive or terrifying. Seriosuly. The fact that last one that told the kid to "rip Elmo's Fur off" was one of the toys recalled for Lead paint really struck a nerve with me.

And, in all honesty... he sounds more like he's saying "Tell James" or "Kell James" as like a small malfunction of saying Kelly and James at the same time. Doesn't even remotely sound like kill at all to me.

I think one too many parents accidentally read Johnan Valazquez's "Tickle me Helmo" comics.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Real Skinny on China

Once again... these &^%^ toys at one point contained deadly lead paint, and these idiot mothers are worried that a mumbled, jumbled phrase ambiguously sounds like something offensive or terrifying. Seriosuly. The fact that last one that told the kid to "rip Elmo's Fur off" was one of the toys recalled for Lead paint really struck a nerve with me.

And, in all honesty... he sounds more like he's saying "Tell James" or "Kell James" as like a small malfunction of saying Kelly and James at the same time. Doesn't even remotely sound like kill at all to me.

I think one too many parents accidentally read Johnan Valazquez's "Tickle me Helmo" comics.
:wisdom: This is how things can sometimes work in the manufacturing world of China: There are so many factories that they underbid each other in order to get a company to ink a contract. Long term contracts are usually a bad idea because sometimes the factory can't afford this underbid price so they make shortcuts down the line on products of companies with lengthy contracts. In a way they rob one client to afford another one. These shortcuts can be general ones of character likeness in toys, quality and/or cheaper materials. This is what leads to lead paint and other environmental issues that we are now seeing reach our shores. Free trade is the way of the world, but it needs more fairness and better guidelines for it to work and not create such problems. Rant over. This is not how things always happen, but it does occur more than is reported and both the America and China are to blame. :insatiable:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
One of my best friends worked in a retail store that sold teddy bears that were recordable. He went through and recorded things on the bears like, "Satan's baby!" or "I'll get you in the back with a chainsaw!" Silly, scary things.

So, this one day an older woman walks in, picks up the doll and pushes the tummy to hear, "Devil's gonna getcha." She dropped the toy and looked around. She tried another one, "I'll kill you in your sleep." She tried another then asked, "They're so cute, but do you have any that say something nice?"

Of course, he went to her and showed her how to record over the voice on the bear's tracking.

What a funny prank!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Note to Steve: GET A MAC!

Sorry for being not-so-subtle, but seriously, Windows Vista IS the worst possible Windows version ever. I thought XP took the cake, I was wrong.

BJ
Hey, XP is the best there is! I REFUSE to have ANYTHING to do with Vista, I have heard nothing but negative reviews about it, plus I HATE widescreen!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
All I know is that was meant for me, Swear to god the whole universe is out to get me

MrsPepper

Reaction score
One of my best friends worked in a retail store that sold teddy bears that were recordable. He went through and recorded things on the bears like, "Satan's baby!" or "I'll get you in the back with a chainsaw!" Silly, scary things.

So, this one day an older woman walks in, picks up the doll and pushes the tummy to hear, "Devil's gonna getcha." She dropped the toy and looked around. She tried another one, "I'll kill you in your sleep." She tried another then asked, "They're so cute, but do you have any that say something nice?"

Of course, he went to her and showed her how to record over the voice on the bear's tracking.

What a funny prank!
Haha! That is absolutely terrifying. If I were that lady I would be freaked out too! Until I learned to record on the bear myself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would have done something much more clever. I'd probably say something like "Hey! Buy me! A five year old got paid 5 cents to sew me together!" or "Please. Do not let your kid play with me once and throw me in the closet!" or "Eh, you're kid won't have any fun with me! Buy him some Ninja Turtles instead! Or stocks!"