1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Elmo Replica

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by eing6888, Apr 29, 2013.

1. eing6888

eing6888 New Member

I just finished with my first replica, Elmo. I used Mostro pattern from Projectpuppet.com . I bought the faux fur from Fabric Empire (http://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fur-shaggy-red.aspx) , one yard is more than enough for Elmo. For the nose, I used 4 inches styrofoam ball and sculpted it with coarse sand paper and cover it with dyed Antron fleece. For the eyes, I bought 50mm Christmas ornaments from Amazon.com and then sprayed it with white spray paint and use black felt as pupils.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wulster and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  2. eing6888

eing6888 New Member

I also did an experiment with the faux fur for future reference and would like to share it with you guys. For the one that labeled hot water, I soaked the fur with running hot tap water for 30 minutes. For the one that labeled air dry, I let it air dry at normal room temperature 25C. For the one that labeled dryer, I dried the fur with the dryer at high heat for 1 and a half cycle. For the one that labeled horse shampoo, I use Maine and Tail shampoo to wash the fur and rinsed it out (http://www.amazon.com/Mane-Tail-Shampoo-32/dp/B000QFRBNS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top). The horse shampoo is known for its rough texture after washing and it certainly did with the fur. I used hot water + dryer for my replica, since the horse shampoo made the fur a little bit too clumpy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MikaelaMuppet and DanimalUK like this.
  3. Vicki Fraggle

Vicki Fraggle Active Member

Omg, that looks dead on. Great job. My gosh I wish I could do 3d art. Keep up the good work I'd like to see what else you come up with.

eing6888 and muppetlover123 like this.
  4. eing6888

eing6888 New Member

I use Rits dry to dye the Antron fleece and here is my color recipe for dying I used
    7.5 grams of the Sunshine orange
    2.5 grams of the Tangerine Orange
    1/2 cup of sea salt(just because I don't have table salt around)
    1 cup of hot water (150F, I use microwave to heat it up)

then I mix the 4 ingredients together
    after that I add 2 more cups of hot water(190F)
    mix well and then add the fabric(12 by 18 inches)
    Constantly stir it for 35 minutes and then rinse with cold water until the water run almost clear, do not twist the fabric just apply a little pressure on it.
    After that I used a very mild warm detergent solution(not bleach) to wash the fabric and then rinse it with cold water.
    Let it air dry on a flat surface
    After it's dried use a razor to shave the fuzzy part out

Making the dye solution
    [​IMG]

dying the Antron fleece
    [​IMG]

Drying on flat surface(notes that the color is super saturated when the fabric is wet, don't panic, it will be come lighter once it dry)
    [​IMG]

Shaving the fleece
    [​IMG]

5. eing6888

eing6888 New Member

And here is how I spray painted the eyeball.
    Spray it thin layer of paint but multiple times otherwise the paint will turn sticky.
    Making a stand for eyeballs also help to achieve a nice smooth paint.
    Let the paint cure overnight before you use it.

[​IMG]

6. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

Nicely done!

eing6888 likes this.
  7. scandell

scandell Member

Extra Critical comment: (Reposition his right pupil a little higher)

8. eing6888

eing6888 New Member

I agree, I think I will redo Elmo's eyes. The eye needs to position a little close together and adjust the pupil height too. Luckily I didn't glue them to the puppet:) thank you for the feedback.

9. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

that's awesome great job sir

10. WillyThePig

WillyThePig Member

If you brush the sides of the face smooth I would look almost exactly like Elmo (after you fixed the eye of course)

11. FunnyBear

FunnyBear Active Member

Yeah, Just like every one else the eyes should be closer and the pupile higher

12. batjimi

batjimi New Member

that looks great! now is that the 1.5 inch pile length shaggy red fur? that is in the link? thanks

13. eing6888

eing6888 New Member

I had fixed the eyes and it looks superb! Thank you for the feedback guys:)

14. eing6888

eing6888 New Member

yes, that's where I bought the fur. It is the longest fur I found that has Elmo red color.

15. Rymoore21

Rymoore21 Active Member

I just finished mine last night. I found that the Red Shaggy Mongolian fur from Mendel's was an almost exact match. I boiled it for 20 seconds then dried it for 27 minutes in the dryer. I had to trim the fur down some and I added some hair mouse to areas of the face to give it some extra texture. I do feel like I made his hands a little bit too big though.

[​IMG]

16. mrfnydude

mrfnydude New Member

Great Elmo. Great build.

Rymoore21 likes this.
  17. Rymoore21

Rymoore21 Active Member

thank you!

18. I used the methods of boiling the fur as you described here to make my Elmo that is my avatar. Your help was so appreciated. I really appreciate the sharing that goes on here. My puppet came out as good as it did because of all of you here. I also followed your method for tying the fleece. I was very happy with the color. Thanks again.

Rymoore21 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  19. allie vital

allie vital New Member

Hi i have a mega huge question my daughters 1st birthday is in oct and she loves elmo i have all the supplies i need but my question is how do i donhis body and wash him? I was thinking of making his head solid but im clueless how can you please help thank u

20. CowbellaPiggy

CowbellaPiggy New Member

all these Elmo replicas are so adorable! you guys are very talented!
    anyone selling an Elmo? I want a soft, huggable authentic-sized Elmo to love