Elmo takes over Sesame Street

mikealan

Reaction score
Hello. I've heard that Elmo is completely taking over Sesame Street and I also heard that Sesame Street Unpaved is getting much lower, so Elmo has completely taken over the SS episode that is shown on PBS and Noggin. ssetta has told us that SS will be canceled and everybody didn't like it anymore. Because everybody is going to just like Elmo and not all of the other characters.

WHO DO YOU THINK ELMO RUINED THE SHOW???!!

CookieFan

Reaction score
I think it's all speculation at this point. Granted, Secret Squirrel neither confirmed nor denied ssetta's speculations, but still.....

I was reading where they are digitizing and cataloging all the Sesame Street episodes. Now, I can't imagine them doing this without assuming that SS will continue long enough to make a return on that investment.

Sesame Street isn't just a TV show....it's a cultural icon that spans 2 generations. It's also a strong brand. Look at all the toys they sell that have Sesame Street on it!

I find it hard to believe that it will just disappear. Sure Elmo is probably the most popular, but the kids DO love the other characters, too! My daughter takes her Cookie Monster doll (bought last month at Wal-Mart!) to bed.

sfgirl

Reaction score
What I find 'funny' about this is that none of my son's friends (or my son) are really into Elmo. Most of the kids in our playgroup/school love Cookie Monster. Even in the older classes (up to kindergarden) I don't see a lot of Elmo influence.

Hays

Reaction score
COOKIE MONSTER FOREVER!!!

Ok, that's three of us Moms (Dads?) who have kids that prefer Cookie Monster to Elmo!

My son still likes Elmo's World (provided he hasn't seen it a million times,) but doesn't seem to care one way or the other for Elmo himself. (Of course, it helped that they did Firefighters for the season opener, right when my husband is going through the Fire Academy!)

I'm going to be taking him to the Carol Spinney booksigning, and I have no idea how to explain to him who he is. I've tried to tell him that Elmo and Cookie Monster and Big Bird are all puppets, and he doesn't believe me!

PS - Mikealan, you are a little firestarter, aren't you!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by mikealan
WHO DO YOU THINK ELMO RUINED THE SHOW???!!
What we have here is a failure to communicate ...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Mike, I've not heard any such news as what you've reported here, and I doubt the context has been all disarayed from what sseta said somewhere.

They've just finished re-casting SS Muppet Characters, so I doubt very seriously that you'll have to worry about them leaving the show.

Secret Squirrel has also stated that they've been filming extra Journey to Ernie (Big Bird/Ernie) and new Elmo's World, BUT! They have also brought back Richard Hunt's cow (name escapes me right now), and Grover and others.

Thijs

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Mike, I've not heard any such news as what you've reported here, and I doubt the context has been all disarayed from what sseta said somewhere.

They've just finished re-casting SS Muppet Characters, so I doubt very seriously that you'll have to worry about them leaving the show.

Secret Squirrel has also stated that they've been filming extra Journey to Ernie (Big Bird/Ernie) and new Elmo's World, BUT! They have also brought back Richard Hunt's cow (name escapes me right now), and Grover and others.
true, true, but ssetta had his info from Chis Cerf, so Mikealan's fears are not completely ungrounded. But I would take it a little bit easier: parents of MC, let us know (like cookiefan and the rest) what your children think of Elmo contra other characters.

Something else I thought about. If they would decide to cancel SS and make it completely Elmo, do you think Kevin Clash would do that? wouldn't protest? I think he would, together with the rest of the crew. Then there would be no SS and no Elmo's world at all! I think after a year they would come crawling back to make SS again alive!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey,

Can you link me to the original information regarding all this?

Thanks,
FOZ

sfgirl

Reaction score
Not to add fuel to the fire, but...a friend of mine in Australia told me that they have "elmo's world" in the afternoon as a 15min show and SS is 30min in the morning. I guess they cut 15min that they don't like...

(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched the forum but didn't see anything.)