Elmo thread

roadrat15

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
I can't stand Elmo, i'd like to send his little red butt into space !
Aha, Two Brothers in Arms in the fight against the 'little red menace'! I salute thee . . .

SillyRed

Reaction score
Remember Elmo's World: Birthdays, where Elmo's parents also talked in third person, George and Gladys? It runs in the family!!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by dcfboss
But I think that Cookie Monster should be left alone with that, becuase he's been that way since forever. Elmo and Baby Bear are newer, and they can be more easily fixed without too much of a difference
But....Elmo's been around since what, 1987? So he's already been around 15 years, or for FIVE generations of "Sesame Street" aged children. Which is forever. And Elmo's talked that way the whole time, so don't change it now...

I'm with you on the anti-Baby Bear kick.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
But....Elmo's been around since what, 1987? So he's already been around 15 years, or for FIVE generations of "Sesame Street" aged children. Which is forever. And Elmo's talked that way the whole time, so don't change it now...

I'm with you on the anti-Baby Bear kick.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn
Yeah, modern Elmo has been around since about 1987 when Clash took over...but *technically* you could say Elmo, the puppet at least, has been around since 1979.

Though, it wasnt til the holiday season of 1996 to where he became such an annoying hosue hold name.

It's kind of like all that kiddy anime out there...ruins the good name of a genre.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I think Cookie says i when saying his ABC's. unless he says ABCDEFGHmeJK
Lol. I've just recently been thinking about the same thing. Maybe Elmo would say ABCDEFGHelmoJK. We should post something like that at the "Things They'd Never Say" thread. Lol. Anyway, my opinion on Elmo... Hmmm. He wasn't too bad when I watched the show, but that was before he was as popular as he is now. I guess I can see where he can get annoying.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Yeah, modern Elmo has been around since about 1987 when Clash took over...but *technically* you could say Elmo, the puppet at least, has been around since 1979.

Though, it wasnt til the holiday season of 1996 to where he became such an annoying hosue hold name.

It's kind of like all that kiddy anime out there...ruins the good name of a genre.
ah yes, the tickle me elmo craze....how i thought each and everyone of those people that wanted that furry red menace was insane!!!

ryan

Hays

Reaction score
It's true that Elmo's been around for longer than Kevin Clash. I remember when he was sort of a "baby" SuperGrover; he came out during the "baby" (muppets, flintstones, what have you) craze, which I never understood - arent Muppets childlike enough? I really did hate him then - now, not so much.

Personally, I'm not an Elmo fan for one reason - he isn't very real. I don't like it when performers whose audience is primarily children make their characters good examples rather than people with real conflicts. Barney is the most extreme example of this type of character.

Elmo's been scrubbed clean of temper tantrums, never forgets to say thank you, and is never rude - not like any toddler I know. I appreciate the educational aspects of Elmo's world, they work, but I'd rather show kids the reality of working through living in the real world - nobody wants to share (until they learn to,) sometimes people hit you, and you don't always get your way.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I really hadn't thought about the fact that Elmo had two different performers. I sort of thought Richard's Elmo, was used before the character was Elmo (just a generic monster character). I remember seeing Elmo on the show when I was young, but I didn't realize he had been played by two different people. I guess Richard's and Kevin's Elmos sounded pretty similar. I didn't notice his voice changing or anything like that.

roadrat15

Reaction score
Really? On the ME,CLAUDIUS skit Richard made his voice deeper and raspier.

mikealan

Reaction score
Does Elmo take over Sesame Street?

Does he kill Grover?