elmo's world alone?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually in Canada there is just an Elmo's World series, I think there is just an standalone series for Elmos World in Australia if I am not mistakened as well.
It is in other parts of the world... just stupidly not here. I've been lobbying for Elmo's World to be a seperate show for YEARS now, since it seems for a younger demographic than the rest of the show. plus it does have an inconsistancy in quality compaired with the rest of the show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It could be they are worried that the audience will follow a separate Elmo's World, and abandon Sesame Street. I don't think the rest of the show is that different from Elmo's World right now, and the other characters haven't been able to stake their territory with today's audience as much.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think so. They might put more stock in an Elmo show... but if they make the show basically 2 Elmo's World segments, and not a sepperate different show they wouldn't abandon SS. maybe even the other way around.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just know I can watch the old SS fine, but not the new show (and I mean the entire show, not just Elmo's World). And I really don't think it's because I like my childhood memories more. I do enjoy several new kids programs today, if they are clever and useful for kids. The new SS is more like Barney, which I was never sure was all that beneficial to kids. And the idea that kids don't like the old SS is a myth.

I'm not at all sure the show would survive if they separated Elmo's World. All the attention has been put into making Elmo's World work and not the rest of the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh... I don't want to get into this again. I bet kids LOVE the old SS compaired to the new one. And I bet a lot of SNL fans prefer John Belushi and Dan Akroyd to Andy Samberg. Things have to change constantly, and that's not always a good thing. I think SS is doing the best it can with the materials it has, and those are pretty off materials. It's the rediculous and often contradictory studies that say such and such is bad for kids, while another study completely disagrees with it (I can remember "Maria" talking about that somewhere). Not to mention that they are sadly losing ground to Nick Jr Garbage.

Journey to Ernie? Case in point. devices lifted from Blues Clues and Dora the explora. Not to mention more and more parents ignore the pediatric advice of not letting kids before the age of 3 watch TV, causing the demographic to shift towards younger children.

Honestly, that is why I think EW should and could be a sepperate show for the younger audiences, thus leaving the real SS open for renovations back the way it was, or at least closer to it. And think about it. It wouldn't cost SW too much to make. Just slap 2 EW segments together (edit if necissary) and you got a show.

But I do see where the concern flows. I feel they spent a lot more time with Buster's Postcards than Arthur lately... but then again, Buster isn't really pulling them in. I think it proves what Scooby Doo has proved in a few different shows. you can take the best, funniest characters out of a show, and you won't really get anything as memorable as you did with a group dynamic.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, that is why I think EW should and could be a sepperate show for the younger audiences, thus leaving the real SS open for renovations back the way it was, or at least closer to it. And think about it. It wouldn't cost SW too much to make. Just slap 2 EW segments together (edit if necissary) and you got a show.

Yeah I agree, if EW was separated, they'd have to do renovations on SS. I'm honestly skeptical that either would happen, but you never know. Anything is possible. :smile:

Hehe, maybe the next special should be about Elmo being asked to leave the street because of all the attention he's getting, and by the end he learns how to share the spotlight with others. It would be a good lesson to teach children. Hehe

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know? I wish it we're as simple as taking EW and making it it's own show and renovating SS back to the way it was. But there are so many factors complicating this. I mean at some period of time, Sesame Street started becoming looked at as younger children's programing at younger and younger ages with time. So older kids who it used to be more popular with viewed it as for younger kids at a Younger age then used to. But it left only mostly younger viewers watching and that we're the whole things started about younger kids losing interest in the show because it was geared for a more general audience and for older kids who we're beginning to feel like they we're out growing it. But when they went back to core characters and the core part of the street because of fear of confusion amongst younger viewers who we're though could keep up wish as much and being aware of competition that was a bit more simplistic and easier to understand they did so. Older viewers liked that thy had sore of gone back, but right before this the show was at a ratings peak of sorts, but it took a hugs nose dive during this time period. But when they changed to the more structural format back in 2003, the ratings went back up and they we're gaining momentum on shows such as the one's they we're copying off. But I do think that that direction their heading in now is a good one.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's easier than you think. They'd just have to phase it out of the rest of the show in a matter of 2 years or so.

It's a matter of PBS not wanting to put it on that would be the problem. I mean, seriously. Take off something that hasn't had new episodes in years (Telitubbies cough cough) and make room for an Elmo's World series.

That would gauge how popular that segment is.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Sure, it sounds good. But I wonder if that will in a way pull away or divide the current SS audience in less that can put a emphises on older kids and can lure them in. But can you just pull a huge portion on the SS audience away from the shoe like that? It's like SS divided against itself and it might even have to compete against itself, too.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
It's easier than you think. They'd just have to phase it out of the rest of the show in a matter of 2 years or so.

It's a matter of PBS not wanting to put it on that would be the problem. I mean, seriously. Take off something that hasn't had new episodes in years (Telitubbies cough cough) and make room for an Elmo's World series.

That would gauge how popular that segment is.
You don't know what you're taking about.