EM.TV to sell 49.9% of Henson to Dean Valentine

Luke

Reaction score
**** - told ya it wasn't going to be Disney didn't i ? huh huh - and you guys thought i was just the manically insane guy who has the penguin gimmick *evil laugh* :big_grin:

Seriously, it's not a bad outcome - not the greatest, not the worst and certainly changes won't be as dramatic as if someone like Disney had the Muppets. However, signing a 'letter of intent' is not the end of this sale - it just means EMTV has said 'yeah we itend to sign the sale contract with Valentine', it's a pretty strong indication of what probably will happen but contracts get broken, backers drop out at the last minute, dramatic things can happen and so on. You'll probably find that Valentine now to have to do all the financing stuff in order to complete the contract. At a guess you're probably looking somewhere towards the low end of 40-48 million.

As i said, not a bad deal for both the Muppets & fans. This means that a lot of staff at Henson are safe, as are the facilities unless Valentine goes on some economising drive but i doubt that. While EMTV will have the money to pay their debt, still have the REAL controlling interest in the company and do what they always really wanted to do, just distribute the european shows, it also means that they'll leave the day to day running of the company to actual real television people who've been at the top of their game and will (hopefully) know what they're doing in negotiating new TV and Film contracts, probably direct to video/TV movies like the NBC one but hopefully including theatrical stuff, and also enhancing the profile of the brand through PR. IMHO i think they'll be building on all the great work that was done this year (such as the licensing and Fox/NBC production deals) rather than totally starting from scratch. The only thing to watch out for is the dreaded 'Family' and 'Direct To Video' words - There'll probably be battles between the creative people at Henson and the management over whether the Muppets keep on the 'family' track but with other non-Muppet productions geared towards family audiences too.

As for Rivkin, i'm not sure. Seems like if this goes through he'd either go or become a general manager or something. He was appointed to the position by EMTV and they remain in control so it doesn't automatically mean he leaves until they say so. The article seems to imply the new management team will actually be Henson based though so i guess thats the main thing that'll change at JHC and they'll be in those positions. It doesn't seem to affect the creative team.

Before we start seeing articles on MC about how Disney have lost out on the Muppets yet again, i don't think this is true at all. All anonyfrog sources pointed, all along, to them not being all that interested and not making any real significant moves to aquire Henson other than having a nose around at what might be on offer. The news articles last week were a suprise to many and in general, IMO i don't think it came down to that much of a bidding process where the company was sold to the highest bidder. Some companies signed letters of intent and then EMTV evaluated the options and went for what they thought was the best deal for them which was the one that let them keep the Muppets - of course it doesn't mean they can't sell their stake later on, go bankrupt, buy back the shares in the future etc etc. The real bad thing is that this still leaves plenty of uncertain times ahead for the Henson Company, even more so now that they probably will have split owners.

As for all the PR guff about 'continuing the legacy' you would have got that with any interested buyer, in fact we saw that with EMTV themselves and look what happened there. Things don't look too bad but it's far too early to judge that but i don't see any reason to be angry !

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
WAIT!

isn't this an ok happening???? i mean if they DO sell 49.9% that solves some $ troubles right??? of did i not understand...please help me!

murgatoad

Reaction score
Hey, what about me, Luke? I was the OTHER crazy person who kept saying the Disney deal wouldn't happen. Disney isn't that stupid.

As for the rest of the article, given that the emphasis was placed on Kermit ("Kermit and the Muppets"), then that, my friends, is a signal that the bad times are indeed going to keep happening for Henson. What that phrasing signifies is that there are certain fools still in charge that don't realize that Kermit's appeal pretty much died the day Jim did. (Otherwise "Kermit's Swamp Years" might have done a bit better in sales, even given the devastating reviews).

I for one would love to know the amount of money paid/promised. I'd be willing to bet it's even below 80 million. But the bottom line here is...you can pretty much rule out any new lavish productions for the Muppets, kids. Very likely the NBC film was their last hurrah.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Struble
Could someone explain why everybody is complaining?
I'm complaining because these press releases use too many words that they don't need. And I can never understand them...

:big_grin:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I think Emmy has a good point. The press release is spin. Press releases are always spin. The real news could be stated very simply:

EM.TV has agreed to sell a 49.9% stake in the JHC to a group of US investors led by Dean Valentine.

In general, I agree with Luke. It's too soon to pass judgement. From a nostalgic fan perspective, it would be comforting to see JHC in the hands of people who have worked there for years. But that's not going to happen and from a business perspective it probably wouldn't be good for the company. There are some incredibly talented people at Henson-- but most of them are on the creative side of the company. JHC needs people who can negotiate deals and get the company back on track financially. EM.TV has great distribution (if I'm wrong on that I'm sure Luke will correct me! :stick_out_tongue: ) Em.TV could prove very helpful, if they can manage their own financial problems and thus have the time and resources to put into developing the stuff they already own (as opposed to buying everything that comes along). We'll just have to see how this plays out and what happens over the next couple years (it could take time to see real changes). Hopefully JHC, no matter who owns them, will be able to build on the momentum they've worked hard to develop this year.

As for Disney, I think I've been pretty clear on my views there. :wink:

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Yucky :frown:

EM.TV still...STILL has a controlling interest :eek:

Now TWO groups, neither one of them a superpower, will be stewards of the Henson legacy :confused:

Jim wanted a safe, strong place for the Muppets back in 1990, and they continue to be splintered and shuffled along with Sesame Street as time passes. Heck, I don't like Disney either, but I'd rather that they be there than what just happened.

This is BAD news, all the way :mad:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Originally posted by sidcrowe
splintered and shuffled along with Sesame Street as time passes.
Umm, Sesame Workshop (aka CTW) has always owned and controlled Sesame Street. They used to share rights to the Sesame Muppets with Henson and now they own their Muppets out right as well. I don't see any shuffling. Did I miss something?

beaker

Reaction score
the fever is still...

Heh, well first off happy Xmas Eve folks. Aw, what a nice Xmas present huh?

Luke, why don't more people listen to us. I was half right, you were fully right. You said we were looking at a Xmas-early January thing that might be in the middle of extremes good or bad. I said none of us would know til we woke up one day soon and logged onto the internet.

As expected, I knew there would be some confusion and outrage no matter what went down.

This news isnt a shocker in the least bit, it is not even really news.
So EMTV plays yet another cat and mouse game to slip away.
Just like Saddam. So many parralells. Still could be a red herring,
as something just doesnt feel impactful.

I am reminded of thet bible parable about cutting the baby in half.

And what this news means...is that EM.TV managed to wiggle away after we thought we had em...it is basically akin to
Saddam playing a few games to get pressure away from Iraq while he slips from out of the noose.

Perhaps it is a true testament to the unfairness of life.
Our heritage and lineage at stake, yet such uncertainty and complacency unfolds still. Where are the visionaries, the
leaders, the bold visions to carry the Muppet brand and JHC into new heights and directions? Is a stagnant '1993' era mentality of Family brand named straight to video specials and other such dangerous slopes the future?

While it is refreshing to see the black magic kingdom mouse far away from this sale, I still cant help but feel this news means nothing but the continuation of what weve already seen.

Are we going to continue to let our Zion, our mecca, to be held hostage like this? EM.TV is a hydra serpantine, just when ya think your finally loose, it sprouts another head and manages to tangle you and slip away at the same time.

...hopefully something can be done about this situation
(im pulling for rivkin to think of something, he is quite the guru and leader)