1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

End of "Friends"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyWan Kenobi, May 6, 2004.

1. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

Anyone want to talk about the end of "Friends"? What did you all think? I was very satisfied by it. Everyone was taken care of--nobody stranded. Good stuff.

2. PukkaPukka

PukkaPukka Well-Known Member

I, too, thought that the final episode tied everything up - as it should. I enjoyed it as well, although the ending was slightly predictable. Nevertheless, I cracked up with that "flange" remark, and the answering machine message building up to Rachel's comeback. Now, it may be cliché-ridden, but it's still some darn good writing and performance. Top notch.

Also, did anyone else laugh senselessly with the whole "twin" scenario. I thought it was pretty great...anyone else?

>Adam

3. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry Well-Known Member

I not seen it.

4. Janice & Mokey's Man

Janice & Mokey's Man Well-Known Member

I just finished it.

Oh, man...I've got that "heavy" feelin'.

*sigh*

***SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS***

This is yer last chance to stop readin' if ya don't wanna know some stuff! lol

I loved the pre-show with all the hilarious and meaningful memories (PHOEBE was first! :flirt: ), and the final show impacted me more than I expected; simply cause since I've missed the last 2 years (accidentally), I didn't think it'd "get me" as much, but it did.

I loved how the writers had Phoebe be such an integral part with gettin' Ross 'n Rachel back together; if it weren't for her, Rachel'd be in Paris right now!

I also loved how Pheebs 'n Joey were together a lot in the stagin' o' the scenes (they're my 2 fav'rites).

I felt so bad fer the foosball table! :cry: It was a cast member in its own way fer 10 years, and I was sad to see it "end".

And how weird to see the apartment stripped! ("moving" series finales always get me..."The Nanny" at the very end was like 'at, too).

I will especially miss Phoebe. Phoebe Buffay was, to me, the most original, hilarious female character written fer a sitcom, played by, (again, fer me), the most comedically talented hilarious actress.

Man...thank God fer DVDs!!

:D

5. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Well-Known Member

I hadn't watched "Friends" much this season because, to me, the acting felt tired and as though they weren't giving it their all. But this episode last night was funny and touching and all warm and squishy!

I didn't actually cry, which is a first, because I was a mess when "Cheers" ended and also every time I see the last episode of M*A*S*H. But I was glad how everything was tied up.

I liked how at the end that the camera panned over the empty apartment. What was really funny was when Joey said, "Has this place always been purple?" :) I always wondered why nobody ever commented about that.

Lucky for us, just like Byron said, we have DVDs so we can always have our "Friends" with us.

6. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

I thought it was great--even though elements were predictable, they were predictable in the way I wanted them to be. I also thought they managed to keep it funny even when it was sentimental, which "Friends" has always been terrific at doing. Chandler's whole "twin medallion" thing was a riot!

:) :cry:

7. dmx10101

dmx10101 Well-Known Member

I've never seen the show,

8. ceecee

ceecee Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty good, although predictible. I was a little weepy at the end though.

It was funny how Phoebe kept trying to make it into a musical.

I thought that we'd find out about Joey's big move to California, but I guess we'll learn more when "Joey" starts.

9. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Well-Known Member

I missed it due to a school function, but I'm sure it'll rerun here pretty soon...or as they like to call it, an 'encore'

10. oOoanimaloOo

oOoanimaloOo Well-Known Member

I watched all 2 hours of it and loved every minute of it. I loved the whole Chicken Jr. and Duck Jr. in the fouse ball table it is gone (you know were going to see that on Ebay soon!) I started to scream with joy when Rachel said "I got off the plane" but may I say that I was really distraght when Rachel origanally said "I can't I have to get on the plane." I also enjoyed the part where Monica told Ericka "weve dicided to call the baby girl Ericka" and then Ericka says " Hey thats just like my name."
    I also enjoyed the whole hour before where they showed the best moments of all the characters. And they showed my favorite episode "The Appartment Battle!" My favorite line of all times "thats Mrs. Chanadler Bong to you!" Or the episode where the pigeon flys in and Rachel gets it in the pot as she says " OH My God, OH My God, OH My God, OH My God, OH My God!"
    Over all I was a very happy camper.

P.S. Can't wait to watch the spin off "Joey"

-Scarlett

11. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Well-Known Member

I watching the finale episode on tape right now,its pretty good so far.I've mostly have seen Friends in syndication. :cool:

12. Lazy J

Lazy J Active Member

what was that song?

Anyone know the name of the song they played at the very end? I think I have heard it before, I dont think It was written for this episode.

13. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

The song was "Embryonic Journey" by Jefferson Airplane. It's on the "Worst of Jefferson Airplane" CD.

14. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Although I am sad to see the show go, I was a little dissappointed in the final episode. It was way too predictable and I thought it showed very little imagination in the writing. It was very funny and entertaining but I don't think it really stood out from any other Friends episode, which I believe, as a finale, it should. Perhaps it's because the writing throughout the ten years was always so good and it was hard to top. I don't think it even came close to being as good as the MASH or Cheers finales. Or as imaginitive as the Bob Newhart Show. Perhaps I was expecting it to live up to all the hype it got, which was an impossible task.

P.S. For those that missed it I've heard that NBC is going to show the final three episodes between now and the end of May.

15. Lazy J

Lazy J Active Member

You ROCK!
    I was thinking Zepplin for some reason.
    Thanks again

16. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Well-Known Member

I would like to see it...hopefully it does rerun.

17. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

I loved it. Didn't think anything has been too tired lately as far as material and acting performances. Haven't missed a single episode ever, and I'm really glad they gave fans just what we wanted, a happy ending!~even though it was really saddish.

I too, can't wait to see "Joey".

18. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

Well sarah you can own it this coming tuesday on dvd at your local store.

I've only watched Friends a few times here and there. I watched the last few episodes of the series and the series finale last night. The finale was good.

*Here's when i get low and dirty on this show!....So did anybody see all the specials NBC was doing. Jay Leno had all the Friends stars last night on his show and did he show from the Friends show stage. Dateline and other shows were doing hour long look backs on the show and the upcomin spin-off of Joey. And you had people who i'm sure you came across today talking about the series finale last night and the series as a whole.......But what I like to harp about is that there is not a huge publicity going for Frasier. This show has been on the air for 11 years. Kelsey Grammer has been playing the same character for 20 years. But i don't think Fraiser is going to get all the hoopla that Friends is getting.......That really is pretty sad in my opinion and i think Fraiser is a well written funny comedy.

ryan

19. Amazing Mumford

Amazing Mumford Well-Known Member

Frasier is getting the Dateline retrospective treatment on Tuesday next week. However, there's several reasons why its finale hasn't been as hyped as Friends.

First, Friends was always more of a "water cooler" type show--the kind of thing people would talk about in their office the next day. I don't think Frasier had the same buzz around it.

Second, Frasier didn't seem to be as popular the last few seasons as it was in its prime. I'm not sure what the recent ratings were, but they HAD to have been down compared to when it was on Thursdays. Friends was still a ratings power when it came to a close.

Finally, Friends generally appeals to a younger demographic (thus more ad dollars for NBC). Who knows how many dorm room TVs were tuned in every Thursday?

Anyway, I agree that Frasier was a good show. I didn't watch much of the past five seasons or so, but the few episodes I caught were entertaining. The early episode with Frasier's gay station manager is one of the top ten single episodes in sitcom history--just hilariously done.

20. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

I loved it. Funny, sad , funny and sad. Since everyone here has told most of the funny parts mine would be that Pheebe and her Taxi is my favoirte part of the whole and the Duck and Chick. Love it. I cried at the very end. I"LL MISS U FRIENDS!!!!! *start sobbing again* :cry:

I'm glad they do have the DVD sets. Have the first 2.