Entertainment Weekly reviews Kermit's Swamp Years

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
Just so you know the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly has a review of Kermit's Swamp Years for next Saturday's showing on Starz!. Unfortunately, it is not the best review. It got a C. Here is the article.

"It's not easy being green, especially when you're starring in a third-rate Muppet movie. There will be no taking of Manhattan in this story of Kermit as a youngster (so, sorta like Muppet Babies, but not really). Instead, everybody's favorite frog gets involved in a typical buddy adventure that manages to swipe key elements from not one but two Toy Story films. Are we being too harsh in critiquing a simple kiddie film? Perhaps, but that's only because the bar has been set so high and Muppet maniacs will surely be disappointed with the film's lack of creativity and wit. To make matters worse, instead of other friendly faces like Fozzie Bear and Miss Piggy showing up, we get a couple of generic pals named Croaker (he's the smart aleck) and Goggles (he's the fussy Woody Allen rip-off). Waldorf and Statler would have a field day with this one."

Wow. This guy's a turd. I have a feeling we're all going to strongly disagree with him though. But if you want to see the review and a picture of Young Kermit, the issue # is 667 and it has a thing on movie magic secrets on the cover.

beaker

Reaction score
Well, I am not surprised by this review. After seeing some footage of it last year, well...Im glad at least a Muppet feature was filmed actually in real enviroments instead of just sets.

Also, there is usually something neat to take in even from the most dismal of Muppet features. Now lets just hope those 'fan appreciation/hidden treats' will be in there like they promised.

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
Hey Beaker,
I was just wondering some stuff about the footage you saw:

1.) what happened in it?

2.) Did you hear Goggles or Croaker speak? If so, what did their voices sound like.

That's it.

Luke

Reaction score
Thats kinda the review i was expecting and think we'll see a lot more off. Scooby and Bear can get away with it - but the Muppets were always gonna get trashed for going 'direct to video'. They could have had the best script in the world but the budget is pretty limited on what they tried to do there.

BiggNate

Reaction score
Entertainment Weekly reviews Swamp Years

Most of the reviews of even good films I have seen given by Entertainment Weekly have been negative. My brother cancelled his subscription because he felt their reviews were too negative. Now that doesn't mean that the Swamp Years will be good, but we could at least give it a chance.

Nate

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One major thing to keep in mind with some of these reviews is that people are comparing this direct-to-video release with the other six Muppet films. So going into it, people have the mindset of expecting a "full-blown" classic Muppet movie. Swamp Years is a unique project that is kind of breaking new ground and is taking us somewhere we've never been before, Kermit's teenage years.

We're only a week away from it airing next Sunday on Starz Family so they'll definitely be a lot of Swamp Year's discussions and opinions the next couple weeks.

Luke

Reaction score
I think as far as initial preconceptions go i thought the fans would probably like KSY, it seems like they have a good script, nice ideas and filmed it very well for the budget they had - but from hearing back from people who were at Muppetfest and have actually seen a preview they didn't exactly rate what they saw (see Corys comments) so maybe there is something about it that doesn't seem 'right' about it for fans, perhaps as has been said its the fact it's a Direct to Video, or maybe they'll find it hard to adapt to a younger Kermit. I've no idea but i guess we'll find out soon enough - it does look better than most of these kind of releases though.

As far as the review, yeah i agree with what Phillip said and also while i don't think they will be accurate from a fan perspective, they are kinda what i expected. You give a reviewer the first direct to video movie of any character brand and it's like giving them a free swipe before they've even turned the TV on - as Phil said, they are always gonna make comparisons to the full blown Muppet movies so it isn't really fair but thats pretty much journalism nowdays.

I agree with Nate, Entertainment Weekly do seem very negative recently - they are the guys that dissed ALF a week or so back - Grrrr ... they deserve everything they get ! :mad:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke,

It has been floating about in the UK for a few weeks now, some video stores have sample copies of the whole movie.

I know someone who watched it, i think im going to wait tho.

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Luke,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
It has been floating about in the UK for a few weeks now, some video stores have sample copies of the whole movie.
Thanks for letting us know Warrick. Yeah it doesn't suprise me - Columbia usually send out copies to the video rental shops to preview in store. They usually have a text scroller at the bottom of the picture telling you what the movie is, and when it comes out so that it can't be pirated as a genuine release copy.

I'd like to see it, i'm very intrigued. I was impressed by the screenshots, but before that i had a lot more reservations about it - direct to video doesn't seem to me like the best thing for the Muppets right now but i dont think Henson have the biggest say in what they do anymore, and they needed a visual product out in the 25th anniversary year so maybe it'll work out for the best. I am glad now though that it wasn't a direct to video starring the entire Muppet gang because the not so good publicity might have spoiled all the other things they have lined up.