1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Entertainment Weekly reviews Kermit's Swamp Years

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by the_great_gonzo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. the_great_gonzo

the_great_gonzo New Member

Just so you know the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly has a review of Kermit's Swamp Years for next Saturday's showing on Starz!. Unfortunately, it is not the best review. It got a C. Here is the article.

"It's not easy being green, especially when you're starring in a third-rate Muppet movie. There will be no taking of Manhattan in this story of Kermit as a youngster (so, sorta like Muppet Babies, but not really). Instead, everybody's favorite frog gets involved in a typical buddy adventure that manages to swipe key elements from not one but two Toy Story films. Are we being too harsh in critiquing a simple kiddie film? Perhaps, but that's only because the bar has been set so high and Muppet maniacs will surely be disappointed with the film's lack of creativity and wit. To make matters worse, instead of other friendly faces like Fozzie Bear and Miss Piggy showing up, we get a couple of generic pals named Croaker (he's the smart aleck) and Goggles (he's the fussy Woody Allen rip-off). Waldorf and Statler would have a field day with this one."

Wow. This guy's a turd. I have a feeling we're all going to strongly disagree with him though. But if you want to see the review and a picture of Young Kermit, the issue # is 667 and it has a thing on movie magic secrets on the cover.
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well, I am not surprised by this review. After seeing some footage of it last year, well...Im glad at least a Muppet feature was filmed actually in real enviroments instead of just sets.

Also, there is usually something neat to take in even from the most dismal of Muppet features. Now lets just hope those 'fan appreciation/hidden treats' will be in there like they promised.
  3. the_great_gonzo

the_great_gonzo New Member

Hey Beaker,
    I was just wondering some stuff about the footage you saw:

1.) what happened in it?

2.) Did you hear Goggles or Croaker speak? If so, what did their voices sound like.

That's it.
  4. Luke

Luke Active Member

Thats kinda the review i was expecting and think we'll see a lot more off. Scooby and Bear can get away with it - but the Muppets were always gonna get trashed for going 'direct to video'. They could have had the best script in the world but the budget is pretty limited on what they tried to do there.
  5. Yeah, this is one projekt I've never looked forward to, and still don't.

:rolleyes:
  6. BiggNate

BiggNate New Member

Entertainment Weekly reviews Swamp Years

Most of the reviews of even good films I have seen given by Entertainment Weekly have been negative. My brother cancelled his subscription because he felt their reviews were too negative. Now that doesn't mean that the Swamp Years will be good, but we could at least give it a chance.

Nate
  7. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

One major thing to keep in mind with some of these reviews is that people are comparing this direct-to-video release with the other six Muppet films. So going into it, people have the mindset of expecting a "full-blown" classic Muppet movie. Swamp Years is a unique project that is kind of breaking new ground and is taking us somewhere we've never been before, Kermit's teenage years.

We're only a week away from it airing next Sunday on Starz Family so they'll definitely be a lot of Swamp Year's discussions and opinions the next couple weeks.
  8. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think as far as initial preconceptions go i thought the fans would probably like KSY, it seems like they have a good script, nice ideas and filmed it very well for the budget they had - but from hearing back from people who were at Muppetfest and have actually seen a preview they didn't exactly rate what they saw (see Corys comments) so maybe there is something about it that doesn't seem 'right' about it for fans, perhaps as has been said its the fact it's a Direct to Video, or maybe they'll find it hard to adapt to a younger Kermit. I've no idea but i guess we'll find out soon enough - it does look better than most of these kind of releases though.

As far as the review, yeah i agree with what Phillip said and also while i don't think they will be accurate from a fan perspective, they are kinda what i expected. You give a reviewer the first direct to video movie of any character brand and it's like giving them a free swipe before they've even turned the TV on - as Phil said, they are always gonna make comparisons to the full blown Muppet movies so it isn't really fair but thats pretty much journalism nowdays.

I agree with Nate, Entertainment Weekly do seem very negative recently - they are the guys that dissed ALF a week or so back - Grrrr ... they deserve everything they get ! :mad:
  9. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Luke,

It has been floating about in the UK for a few weeks now, some video stores have sample copies of the whole movie.

I know someone who watched it, i think im going to wait tho.

See ya
  10. Luke

Luke Active Member

Re: Luke,

Thanks for letting us know BlueFrackle. Yeah it doesn't suprise me - Columbia usually send out copies to the video rental shops to preview in store. They usually have a text scroller at the bottom of the picture telling you what the movie is, and when it comes out so that it can't be pirated as a genuine release copy.

I'd like to see it, i'm very intrigued. I was impressed by the screenshots, but before that i had a lot more reservations about it - direct to video doesn't seem to me like the best thing for the Muppets right now but i dont think Henson have the biggest say in what they do anymore, and they needed a visual product out in the 25th anniversary year so maybe it'll work out for the best. I am glad now though that it wasn't a direct to video starring the entire Muppet gang because the not so good publicity might have spoiled all the other things they have lined up.
  11. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt New Member

Yeah, the idea's always seemed second-rate to me. Like a rehash of TMM or Muppet Babies, in some ways.

- Billy :cool:
  12. Struble

Struble New Member

Well, I, for one, look forward to it. I was very entertained by the panel in Sandy Eggo. The clips they showed from it were very entertaining, and I think it will be fun. Sure, it looks to be a little more kiddie geared than you all would want, but it still has that spirit that I identify the Muppets with. Joe the Armadillo's Behind the Scenes Featurette was funny. I'm betting that I will like it.

But what do I know, I love the Muppet Babies. :D

Sh.
  13. grail

grail New Member

don't worry, i liked Muppet Babies too...

i think the key here is that Henson is trying toget to some younger viewers. like they got the bunch of us in OUR younger years. younger viewers become older viewers, older viewers breed a new batch of younger viewers, and the circle of life continues *cue disney music* (wait, didn't i already do that joke this week?)

the idea is to generate interest in the Muppets again. to get people psyched for the NBC flick and the new show. to do that, they're going to want to hit as many demographics as possible. they already know that us "long-time" fans will watch it, wether we grumble about it or not because at the end of the day, it's still Muppets. you have to get kid's attention, though...and seeing as they are the future of the Muppets, i say more power to Henson.
  14. skankin-frackle

skankin-frackle New Member

Dude the reviewer is right, i worked on that steaming pile of dung, it is poorly written , the few charecters that are in it are paper thin, and the acting from the third rate actors they got is a abismal.so dont be suprised when you see it.
  15. Luke

Luke Active Member

Must have been stinky ! I guess you have to expect 'steaming piles of dung' when you have frogs, pigs, bears and 'whatevers' on set ! :D
  16. Struble

Struble New Member

It's always nice to see someone with some pride in their work.

Sh.
  17. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

hmm, that seemed oblivious to reality...????

I have always been looking forward to Kermits Swamp Year's, i remember when people where thinking that this mostlikey wouldn't get made or that it would be footage of kermit we have seen 100's of times, but it's not, and it was made:)

unlike MFS that tottaly changes what gonzo is... a whatever to an alien. KSY shows kermit in his young years, nothing to do with Muppet Babies, and it doesn't change what happens in the Muppet Movie and after that, then the fact of what happened to Goggles and Croker? they could just be considered in the group of backgrownd frogs that have been on many ep's of the muppet show, we won't know untill we all see KSY's.

Did kermit not have adventuers as a young frog as considered in his real "fake" history? of course he did! just cause this isn't Jim Henson's work dosen't mean it shouldn't been done, hey infact it fits perfect because Steve is younger then Jim, and Kermit should sound youger anyways;-)

I'm a swamp fan, i love swamps and ponds and woods N's stuff, I always have, and i have my own little secret places that would seem very much like KSY's with swinging vines "ropes" watering holes and waterfalls,caves, paths, and wildlife, like ducks and snapping turles, and all that good stuff. So to see a young version of Kermit runing around a real swamp is great and will give me memories of my own places like kermits swamp, only i don't have any aligators, but there was one stupitly released in my home town last summer as i saw on the news, not as close to the places i go,but was thankfuly rescused by some nice people and was brought back to it's proper area.

I am kinda wondering about the begining of this movie, i mean will he have Kermit taking about his younger years and go to a flash back or have a story teller like voice talking about kermit when he was young, it would be cool to have kermit telling robin about his youth,but i don't know.

i'm pretty sure it won't have kermit telling the main muppet gang like piggy,fozzie gonzo and rizzo.
  18. Struble

Struble New Member

Re: hmm, that seemed oblivious to reality...????

Yeah. Sorta. According to the panel, they said it's gonna have current Kermit narating the story in a Wonder Years/Stand By Me sort of way -- to paraphrase them directly.

Sh.
  19. skankin-frackle

skankin-frackle New Member

entertainment weekly reviews kermits swamp years

i have pride in many of the projects that i was involved with while at henson, but this film has few if any merits to it , and while i worked just as hard on this film as i had on seasons 3 and 4 of bear , or the stage shows ,ands mopatops shop, i feel that i can do little to defend the quality of "Kermits swamp years"

it was done on the cheap and was clearly the product of corporate thinking.

but thats all i will say on the subject you can all wait to see it when it finaly comes out,and decide for your own self.