Ernie and Bert's Apartment

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
no this isnt about them being gay,

i really dont care about that and as someone once said...they arnt gay there puppets...

anyways recently ive been watching old school sesame street clips and began to wonder

how old are erine and bert did i miss this somewhere...i mean ernie still plays with toys and bert is....well bert,
but really are you allowed to leave alone with your best friend on sesame street

just wondering
anyone else notice this:stick_out_tongue::frown:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't believe they were ever actually assigned ages; originally, though, Ernie was written to be a surrogate child, while Bert was to be like his exasperated father-figure, but apparently that didn't really work out very well.

I believe they're simply supposed to be literally ageless so they can kind of be relatable characters for people of all ages.

armslength

Reaction score
Their ages are very much as abstract as their designs...they engage in play and activities like children (and sometimes are implied to be in school or school-aged) other attributes indicate they could be adults - live on thier own, have an apartment, could operate a vehicle, take vacations/travel on their own.

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
I always thought of Ernie and Bert as 2 single guys in their early 20's sharing the rent of an apartment, since NYC is so expensive. Also they are very different from each other, which could happen with roomates in real life too. I think originally during the first few seasons, or mabye even the first few handful of seasons, they were more like roomates who had to deal with each other's difference. But after a while they actually became friends. :stick_out_tongue::frown:

Beaker <3

Reaction score
I know they don't have ages... but I always pictured Bert to be in his early 30's and Ernie in his late 20s/early 30s.

I always felt like they were very, very old friends who knew each other very well. Bert doesn't always get along with Ernie, but he deals with it because they are such good friends and everything.

Did that make sense?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
There no age. They seem to be what ever happens to be convenient at the time.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have always considered Bert to be yellow and Ernie to be orange and that's about it. Oh, and they're both rather football shaped, but turned at different degrees. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Livehandmuppet

Reaction score
well, ernie is younger than bert, no doubt about that. i was recently watching sesame street video player on a website if forgot :sympathy:, and it said that ernies birth day is july 28. if they gave us a year, then we would of known how old he is. Berts b-day i think is in July also.

Then i begin to question. In an ernie and bert cave man days sketch, ernie plays the father and bert the son (ernie is sometimes king :stick_out_tongue: )