Ernie & Bert

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Ernie and Bert may be the best of friends to this day,but did anybody ever feel sorry for Bert at times?Like the time the two of them went to bed for the night,and the bathroom faucet was dripping.Bert couldn,t sleep with the sound of the water dripping from the faucet,so Ernie kindly did something to fix that.He turned the radio on.Not excactly what Bert meant.Then Ernie turns on the vacuum cleaner.After Bert manages to kill all the noise in the apartment,so to speak,Ernie,s loud snoring keeps him awake.Ernie means well,but he goes about it all wrong.Even so,they are best friends,and two of my favourite characters. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Censored

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
Ernie and Bert may be the best of friends to this day,but did anybody ever feel sorry for Bert at times?Like the time the two of them went to bed for the night,and the bathroom faucet was dripping.Bert couldn,t sleep with the sound of the water dripping from the faucet,so Ernie kindly did something to fix that.He turned the radio on.Not excactly what Bert meant.Then Ernie turns on the vacuum cleaner.After Bert manages to kill all the noise in the apartment,so to speak,Ernie,s loud snoring keeps him awake.Ernie means well,but he goes about it all wrong.Even so,they are best friends,and two of my favourite characters. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:
I may have felt sorry for Bert at times (he is my favorite character after all), but they just wouldn't be Ernie and Bert, if Ernie didn't drive him nuts.

Your statement that Ernie "meant well" brought an old question to my mind though. Was Ernie really trying to help Bert in that and many other skits or was he trying to be funny? It never seemed quite clear.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
LOL, yeah, I've felt kinda bad for Bert. On the other hand, I've felt kinda bad for Ernie because of Bert's tendency to be uptight and crabby.
Erin

jediX

Reaction score
You'd play practical jokes too if you lived w/ someone that collected paper clips and was fascinated with oatmeal. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

CherryPizza

Reaction score
Hey, lift your game peoples. Everyone knows it's not "Ernie and Bert", it's "Bert and Ernie"

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I've always said "Ernie and Bert," but that's just me. I've also always related more to Ernie, but as I've gotten older I find a lot of humor in Bert as well...

:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Ernie's always been my favorite, but I think I might be more like Bert. I don't know, though, I'm not that uptight... I guess I'm kinda a little bit of both.
Erin

CherryPizza

Reaction score
OK, time to cite precedent:

Compare them to other comedy duos, the "straight man" is almost always named first

Also think of the rhythm of the duo names. They start with a short, smooth sound and then towards the end have rising and lowering tones with different emphasis on different syllables. Kinda like a "--~~" sound

For example:

Burns and Allen
Abbott and Costello
Laurel and Hardy
Fred and Ethel

Therefore, "Bert and Ernie" is much more consistent with these patterns than "Ernie and Bert"

Cherry "Yes, I do have too much free time" Pizza

Erine81981

Reaction score
Same here. I seem to fall in with Ernie then I do w/ Bert. But on the other hand I can be crabby sometimes. I like to hang out w/ my best friend (even though he doesn't like the muppets expect Fraggles) I like to look at us as Me being Ernie and him being Bert. It just makes perfect since. Thats how I look at it when were together. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

jediX

Reaction score
Every time I've heard them cited in a Muppet thing its Bert & Ernie.