Ernie's "A" Machine: I don't get the joke.

Splurge

Reaction score
Quick review:
When Ernie's machine stops producing letter A's, he conclude that it must be raining outside. When asked what that has to do with anything, Ernie's punchline is, "This machine only makes 'A' while the sun shines."

I still don't get it, I've thought and thought about it and the only possible guess I came up with is something about a machine making hay while the sun shines, whatever that could mean.

Anyone else who is comically inclined have an idea? I'll bet the answer will have me slapping my head saying, "Oh of course!" :smile:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
It seems like you're on the right track ... but maybe solar power was considered a joke back then.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
You know, I have often wondered about that as well.

I still don't get it either.

Alas.

Shumaker

Reaction score
There is an old saying that one should "make hay while the sun shines." In other words get things done when you have the chance. I have always assumed that the A machine sketch was a lame play on word for this.

ssetta

Reaction score
I remember another Bert & Ernie skit that was very similar. It was raining really hard outside, and the window was stuck open. Ernie admits that he doesn't want to go outside in the rain. And meanwhile, the rain stops, and it becomes a beautiful, sunny day. And Bert says that now would be a good time to fix the window. Then Ernie replies, "Why? We don't need to close it now. It's not raining."

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Shumaker
There is an old saying that one should "make hay while the sun shines." In other words get things done when you have the chance. I have always assumed that the A machine sketch was a lame play on word for this.
Yes, exactly. I am glad to see that someone understands it. I was beginning to feel old.

(And RE: that expression... if the teenagers I teach are any indicator... most kids these days have no clue about "making hay while the sun shines". We are raising a generation of procrastinators.)

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Actually, I'm not a teenager...I'm almost 30. I've just never heard that expression before.

But I have done my fair share of procrastinating. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
At first, I guessed it was, "It only made hay when the sun shines" (I was.. right??!?!?!?) then I guessed it would only make letter RAYS while yada yada...

Then I just gave up and guessed that Ernie's invention didn't work an' he was messing with Bert's head again!