1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Eureka's Castle

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by The Big Don, Sep 1, 2002.

1. electricmayhem

electricmayhem New Member

I was just thinking about EC the other day when i found an old coloring book of it i had. speaking of other puppet shows, did anyone here ever watch 'Under the Umbrella Tree'?
  2. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Electric Mayhem,
    I spend a small part of every time I'm online looking for episodes of "Under the Umbrella Tree." I lived that show SO much. Who could forget Gloria, Iggy, Jacob...and of course their good friend Holly. :) I miss it so. Noone on the planet seemed to like it enough to tape it though :(

-Matt
  3. I loved UTUT too! :) I used to watch it at my grandparents' when I was younger...*sigh* Ahhhh, the good ol' days... :)
  4. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

"Under The Umbrella Tree" was on in the US? I didn't know that! :cool:

The show was produced in Ottawa, Ontario for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It was created by Noreen Young, who is a very well known puppeteer and builder up here. Here's a few websites by folks who worked on the show:

Noreen Young Productions - Online home of Noreen Young. The website has photos of Gloria, Maggie & BJ plus many of Noreen's other creations.

Matt Ficner is a Canadian puppeteer who began his career interning on this show and now performs in a variety of shows, including the new series "Ace Lightning."

Until recently the puppets from the show were on display at the CBC Broadcast Centre in Toronto. I think they are now part of the same exhibit at the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa. If you want to buy tapes of the show I think they are still available through CBC.

The mailing address I have for tape enquiries is:

CBC Enterprises
    Box 500, Station A
    Toronto, Ontario
    M5W 1E6 Canada

You can also try contacting CBC Audience Relations through cbc.ca.

Now - did anybody watch "Today's Special" or "Bookmice"?
  5. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Buck,
    Are these commercial releases or per-episode tapes sold directly through the company? Do you know if they would be willing to see a complete run? I have never heard of "Today's Special" or "Bookmice," leading me to believe it hasn't aired in the US. Jeeze, you Canadians have all the fun!!! :)

-Matt
  6. matleo

matleo Active Member

Oh no, "today's Special" aired in the US on Nickelodeon waaaay back in like '83 or so when Nick first started. It was about a dept. store and there was this mannequin who cam to lif ehwn they put a special hat on him and said the magic words that dme him ome alive and there was mouse (puppet) a security guard (puppet) and this woman Joni (I think) who..well, I don't really rmember what she did. She stockedthe shleves at night or something. it was weird. oh right, the show ony took place at night after the stoe had closed. I loved that sow. my wife and I were talkign about it just a few weeks ago.

Anybdy remember Pinwheel? How about Allegra's Window?
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Matt!!! Holy cow, you remember Today's Special about the NYC department store! Ok, now ya wanna get into obscure 80's puppet shows? What about Great Space Coaster, Buster and Me, etc? Gosh I ate those show sup with a spoon when I was a kid!
  8. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Pinwheel I never saw, but I do know a bit about it. That was one of the first Nick Jr. puppet shows as I recall reading. A precurser to Eureeka's Castle. Allegra's Window I remember seeing very few times, mainly because I watched an episode or 2 and didn't like it whatsoever.

-Matt
  9. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Does anybody remeber Gugga Gugga Island and some of the Fox preschool shows from late 90's like one with the animals on the island and this one show with Elephant toy and his friends.
  10. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Today's Special was about a TORONTO department store Beaker!!! Crazy American lab assistants, you think everything is set in YOUR country! LOL :p

I think "Today's Special" ran on Nick or Disney in the US.

Cantus, I don't know what "Umbrella" tapes are available (it's probably not the whole run - they did about 260 episodes!). You could try contacting Noreen Young through the website I posted - it was her show so she will likely know better than anyone where to get tapes and what's available.

I think "Bookmice" had a run on TLC for a couple of years when they carried more kid's shows. Incidently, "Bookmice" was set in the library right across the street from us in Toronto! They only used the library for exteriors though - most of the show was shot on a soundstage somewhere else in the city.
  11. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Thank you Buck, you don't know how much happiness the hope of having UTUT episodes brings me.

Holy lord, I think I remember the "Bookmice" show your talking about. I remember a library with a bannester as you came in, and puppets going down it...It is all so vague, I really cant remember very well, but I do seem to remember somewhat. You know where to get episodes of that, Buck?

-Matt
  12. matleo

matleo Active Member

I don't remember Buster and Me, but Great Space Coaster!!! I loved that show. Kevin Clash, Jim Martin and Noel McNeal all worked on it too. Speaking of them, no one's mentioned "Puzzle Place" yet.

Buck,
    You mean the world doesn't revolve around the United States?? excuse me Fella but this is America and if we want to claim that your little tv show department store belonged ot us, we have a right to!!! that's what makes this country great.....Taking things that don't belong to us (like TV shows) remember, noone about say... "man about the house", but "Three's Company" made John Ritter a star!!!!! *sigh* Trust a Canadian to forget how much better we are. ;-)

The Matt who isn't me,
    Pinwheel was kind of an odd show. Sorta like Sesame but not really like Sesame at all. Lots of jumping around from piece to piece. There was a clown who never spoke. And the two boys who live inthe attic and a fortune teller, a vegetable saleman named Luigi these two bug tihngs, some newpaper editor named Smitty, and the green guy who hated everybody. this is about as much as I remember. I remember a segment with these claymation mice and somethng about these little hat people. That's about it.
    "Allegra" was pretty cool. it was really aimed at pre-schoolers. Marty Robinson designed and built all the puppets and he, Pam Arciero and Kathy Mullen all puppeteered. The character Marty did was really neat becase it was this cat with a long pencil-neck. The main control for the neck and a few other functions sat in one hand and marty's other hand slipped into this cable harnass that allowed him to puppeter the mouth like he would a regular hand puppet. It's nuts. of course you then needed another puppeteer to do the hands. It's really an amazing little puppet. he also designed lower eylids for each of the puppets so they could look up as well as blink.
  13. BatlysMyHero

BatlysMyHero New Member

Go to Amazon.com and look up Eurikas castle.. you can buy the episodes on vhs and dvd. thats what i plan to do.
  14. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Loved all the show your talking about. I keeped wonder what "Today Special" until ya'll discrabed it. I watched that show all the time. OHHHHH the good old days is right. I miss that show. I remember that the Mouse lived in like a little masion that had elavators that she would come out of from time to time. One epsidoe I remember so is the one where Ailens from outer space come to take the moust home with her and the characters don't want her to go and thinks about it and goes but then they find out she didn't go. I LOVED IT SO MUCH!!! Thanks for bring back alot of memiores.
  15. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

Is there a Eureka fansite that has pictures of the characters?
  16. Medbe Monster

Medbe Monster New Member

OMG! I absolutley loved Eureeka's Castle.
  17. Tim

Tim Member

My good friend Cheryl Blaylock performed Eureeka and told me some "interesting" stories about the production. "3 Design Studios" did the puppets and Henson bullied them for a while about it.

BTW I have a couple of original "Eureeka" items available for purchace if anyone want's to PM me about them.
  18. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Hi Tim,
    Im interested. Let me know!
  19. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

I just found this episode on Google Video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1433418923019766221&q=Eureeka's Castle

It was my first time watching it. I had Fun.....Noel McNeal sort of moves him like Big Bird at times I think,..so thats Cool....I was wondering...thats just a LARGE half body puppet with a tail right?

I was also wondering......is Eureeka a care giver? like a Babysitter or a Nanny?
  20. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

That's right Teen. She was kind of like that but only at times. Now to Magellan she was kind of a nanny or babysitter. She always read books to him. I'll have to watch this later but ever halloween I watched this speical all the time.