Ever think about asking kids these questions...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There are two things I wonder about when it comes to what kids know/think about Sesame Street. I wonder if anybody has thought about "surveying" kids on these two things... I'd like to ask kids these survey questions as well.

1. Who do the kids see as the star of the show? Do they see Big Bird, Elmo, Abby Cadabby, Murray Monster, or another character as the star?

2. Do kids think of Kermit as a regular character or an occasional guest?

That second one, I have been wondering more than the first one. When interviewed on The MuppetCast recently, Louis Henry Mitchell pointed out that older Kermit segments still get shown regularly on Sesame Street. But since season 36 all Kermit appearances shown have been one-line appearances, where Kermit either makes a cameo (Elmo's World: Frogs) or is basically just part of the gang (Ev'rybody Be Yo'Self, Do De Rubber Duck). I wonder if kids ever wonder what Kermit is doing there.

Of course there are many DVDs featuring Kermit's Sesame Street appearances. In the past few years it seems DVD releases of Kermit's appearances have been few and far between (though the same could be said of Sesame Street videos throughout the 1990s), as have the releases of classic material, but the DVDs featuring Kermit material usually do treat Kermit well. And most past videos and DVDs are still available on DVD. It seems Learning About Letters, Learning About Numbers, Sing Yourself Silly, What's the Name of That Song? and the 25th anniversary video are popular with retailers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget, the lack of Kermit has nothing so much to do with Elmo as it did with the EMTV buy out and sell out of the Henson brand. His last new appearance before EW:Frogs was the Hurricane episode, and the only Kermit appearances on the show itself were his cameo in Do de Rubber Duck and the Keb Mo Everybody be Yourself number.

Grover, Cookie, Big Bird, Count... even Ernie and Bert, albeit in clay form are all regulars on the show and are still in the opening, on merchandise, and stuff like that. But Kermit doesn't even appear on the show in older segments, since they have TOO much stuff jammed in their already. If kids know Kermit, it would probably be from the Muppet Show or movies.

Katzi428

Reaction score
My niece knows who Kermit is. (Then again she's 10.) If I asked my 3 year old niece who Kermit was,she probably wouldn't know. And neither would my 1 year old nephew. Sad, huh?

muppet fan girl

Reaction score
My niece knows who Kermit is. (Then again she's 10.) If I asked my 3 year old niece who Kermit was,she probably wouldn't know. And neither would my 1 year old nephew. Sad, huh?
Want to hear something worse? my cousin is 6 and doesn't know what Sesame Street is.:frown:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Let's not forget, the lack of Kermit has nothing so much to do with Elmo as it did with the EMTV buy out and sell out of the Henson brand. His last new appearance before EW:Frogs was the Hurricane episode, and the only Kermit appearances on the show itself were his cameo in Do de Rubber Duck and the Keb Mo Everybody be Yourself number.

Grover, Cookie, Big Bird, Count... even Ernie and Bert, albeit in clay form are all regulars on the show and are still in the opening, on merchandise, and stuff like that. But Kermit doesn't even appear on the show in older segments, since they have TOO much stuff jammed in their already. If kids know Kermit, it would probably be from the Muppet Show or movies.
At least nowadays Disney is promoting the Muppets more than they've ever been. :smile: