Evolution of Cookie Monster-my view

fatblue

Reaction score
Here's how I see it:

Kind of cute, but we saw a precursor to the charatcer on the Ed Sullivan Show tape 'Muppets Magic' a great buy for anyone interested in Pre-SS muppet acts. Yes, as mentioned, he was a green color, with very sharp teeth, and Henson did the voice for him, not Frank Oz. This skit of him dismantling the computer was also shown on other spots earlier as well.

The first season of SS, he really wasn't called 'Cookie Monster' he was always referred to by Kermit as just 'Monster', you know, in his skits he would always say stuff like 'You filthy beast' or 'Big hairy ugly monster' I think he was called CM second season if memory serves me correct.

I think he really caught the attention of people with this when he was repackaged, especially kids,because what do most kids love but cookies right?

Of course, CM would almost eat everything! Not just cookies.

BEAR

Reaction score
There was a specific episode that gave him the name Cookie Monster.

fatblue

Reaction score
Cm

Well, though I am 36, I can't recall the exact episode LOL!! I saw a skit on a recent show, don't remember which one, with CM in rap gear doing a song with Ja Rule :grouchy: Oh boy!! Not a highlight for this muppet, I can tell you that. Anyone else catch it?

BEAR

Reaction score
fatblue said:
Well, though I am 36, I can't recall the exact episode LOL!! I saw a skit on a recent show, don't remember which one, with CM in rap gear doing a song with Ja Rule :grouchy: Oh boy!! Not a highlight for this muppet, I can tell you that. Anyone else catch it?

I am sure it is up there with the episode where Bert raps about healthy food. Not his best moment. lol

DerekJ

Reaction score
fatblue said:
The first season of SS, he really wasn't called 'Cookie Monster' he was always referred to by Kermit as just 'Monster', you know, in his skits he would always say stuff like 'You filthy beast' or 'Big hairy ugly monster' I think he was called CM second season if memory serves me correct.
Not sure, but think the first-season Kermit segment where he appears to steal Kermit's "cup-py-cakes" could've been the first CM in nameless prototype form as we know him today...
Unless anyone up on their Noggin reruns knows any actual earlier appearance.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
fatblue said:
#4085. And it wasn't Ja Rule - it was Wyclef Jean.

superfan

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
Not sure, but think the first-season Kermit segment where he appears to steal Kermit's "cup-py-cakes" could've been the first CM in nameless prototype form as we know him today...
Unless anyone up on their Noggin reruns knows any actual earlier appearance.
In the premier episode, Cookie Monster made his first appearance with Kermit. Kermit is on the wall introducing us to the letter W. As he's talking, Cookie Monster sneaks up and takes a bite off the letter making it look like a slanted capital 'N'. So Kermit talks about N. Then CM comes back and tkaes another bite leaving it looking like a slanted capital 'V'. Kermit continues despite being annoyed and talks about 'V'. CM appears one last time to take a final bite leaving a slanted 'I' (or it could be a 1, says Kermit). And at the last, CM takes a hold of Kermit's leg and tries to eat it. Kermit shakes him off "Hey, get off of there, fella! I think I hear you mother calling!" This whole time, Cookie is making indistinguishable monster noises. No words. He enters and exits with the rolling kettle drum sound effect in the background.
As far as his color, it may be my tv, but he doesn't look green but a dirtier blue than his current bright color.
Love this sketch. It's relatively accurate as far as my memory serves.

Censored

Reaction score
Just to clear up a few minor errors:

It was Ernie who called Cookie Monster a "filthy beast" and it was Ernie who got his cuppy-cakes stolen, not Kermit. I can see where memory could confuse Ernie and Kermit because their Henson voices were practically identical (and their personalities, when acting as Cookie's straight man, were pretty similar too). :stick_out_tongue: :smile:

fatblue

Reaction score
Cm

Oh right! It was Ernie that called him a 'filthy beast' on the sketch that he erases CM.Funny, SS never showed the first part of that skit.

Censored

Reaction score
fatblue said:
Oh right! It was Ernie that called him a 'filthy beast' on the sketch that he erases CM.Funny, SS never showed the first part of that skit.
The skit was from the second episode and actually comes with five "acts". It starts out with Ernie trying to write the letter X and getting it wrong, but as he crosses out his mistakes, he unknowingly makes X's. Bert comes in and points this out to him and Ernie enthusiastically goes off to make his own X. Cut to a street scene.

In the next skit, Ernie is holding his letter X as Bert comes running in, complaining that a monster ate all the bacon he was cooking. The monster (Cookie Monster) enters and eats Ernie's X and says, "I always eat X and bacon." Ernie notes that egg starts with the letter E. Cut to a cartoon.

Third quick scene, Ernie is erasing his chalk board. Cut to the cartoon where the boy counts to ten as he erases several things and people in his neighborhood.

The next scene has Ernie threatening to erase Cookie Monster if he doesn't leave and calls him a "filthy beast." Ernie then tells him to watch the cartoon again. Cut to the same cartoon about erasing.

Back to Ernie and Cookie. Ernie gives Cookie one more chance; Cookie shrugs off the idea, but Ernie erases him as the monster says good-bye.

(You can tell that the background of the final scene was especially set up for the erasing gag).