EW says lots of Muppet merch coming

darthcello

Reaction score
Great cover article on The Muppets in this week's Entertainment Weekly, including a very intriguing paragraph:

"It's no accident that the release of The Muppets coincides with the kickoff of the holiday shopping season. For months Disney has been giving the movie a major marketing push, targeting parents and kids simultaneously, and with The Muppets finally poised to hit theaters, the company's merchandising operation is primed to go into high gear. Plush toys, clothing, books, pillowcases, toothbrushes--you name it and you're likely to see a Muppet's face on it."

Not to mention, on page 58 (under a great review of Being Elmo!), there's a picture of a new Addidas shoe inspired by Kermit: It'll get a little easier being green when these suede Kermit-inspired sneakers leap into stores this month.

This all sounds very promising!!

beaker

Reaction score
Im totally jealous of Frogboy's Kermit shoes, so Im more than estatic to get a Kermit sneaker!

But yeah, I too was thinking the Muppet movie, which is not a holiday feeling sort of film, is getting a holiday release...which means merchandise tidal wave. So far there's hardly any merchandise...but I would not be surprised if we do see the floodgates open by black friday. So far not a single photo or description of stuff has come out, but common sense tells us they had to have been planning for a ton of merch

Drtooth

Reaction score
But yeah, I too was thinking the Muppet movie, which is not a holiday feeling sort of film, is getting a holiday release...which means merchandise tidal wave. So far there's hardly any merchandise...but I would not be surprised if we do see the floodgates open by black friday. So far not a single photo or description of stuff has come out, but common sense tells us they had to have been planning for a ton of merch
Like I said... only Super Hero summer movies get month and a half before merchandising release and everything else has been downgraded to the week of the movie's release. Kung Fu Panda 2, The Smurfs, and Real Steal popped up just after the movie (Smurf stuff sold inexplicably well, by the way). I don't think I saw specific Cars 2 characters until after the movie, that's pretty hard to tell. I know certain TS3 characters were released around the movie's release and everyone else was added later.

But then again, the Super Hero figures sometimes get cleared out even BEFORE the DVD gets released. So there you go.

And you have no further to look than the horrendous Terminator Salvation movie figures to see oversaturization of something NO ONE in their right mind would buy. I'm still MUNDO PO'd that Playmates dumped the 25th Anniversary TMNT figures for that stupid film.

beaker

Reaction score
Like I said... only Super Hero summer movies get month and a half before merchandising release and everything else has been downgraded to the week of the movie's release. Kung Fu Panda 2, The Smurfs, and Real Steal popped up just after the movie (Smurf stuff sold inexplicably well, by the way). I don't think I saw specific Cars 2 characters until after the movie, that's pretty hard to tell. I know certain TS3 characters were released around the movie's release and everyone else was added later.

But then again, the Super Hero figures sometimes get cleared out even BEFORE the DVD gets released. So there you go.

And you have no further to look than the horrendous Terminator Salvation movie figures to see oversaturization of something NO ONE in their right mind would buy. I'm still MUNDO PO'd that Playmates dumped the 25th Anniversary TMNT figures for that stupid film.
Well you know my thoughts on Cars, Smurfs, cgi over live action films, Shrek, and most of these cgi kids films...so Ill leave it at that. But what I can more than agree on is the T:S figures(now at all dollar stores, as we predicted) Never in the 30+ years Ive been collecting toys have I ever EVER seen such a horrific toy brand/bad movie pimped out to over saturation like the TS toys. I mean it became a joke, seeing those ghastly poopy toys every single store I went to. Kids didnt even go see it.

Sadly, TMNT is dead. the IDW is kind of a cool throwback to the Mirage 1993 era comics. But its dead. That Nick TMNT is so beyond horrible looking, I refuse to even acknowledge it.

Lets face it. TMNT is dead. Transformers is dead. There might be shows, movies, etc that call themselves TMNT or Transformers, but its in name only. Least GI Joe Renegade kicks butt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sadly, TMNT is dead. the IDW is kind of a cool throwback to the Mirage 1993 era comics. But its dead. That Nick TMNT is so beyond horrible looking, I refuse to even acknowledge it.

Lets face it. TMNT is dead. Transformers is dead. There might be shows, movies, etc that call themselves TMNT or Transformers, but its in name only. Least GI Joe Renegade kicks butt
I'm giving the Nick show a chance. It can NOT be any worse than the live action series (which BLEW it's potential when they added that idiotic pro-social values girl turtle in there) or those completely foul music video VHS with the poor turtle costumes that you can see gaping holes right into the mouths. I once tried to watch "We Wish you a Turtle Christmas" as a joke, and it was the worst thing I've ever seen from ANY franchise, let alone a favorite one.

I am digging the IDW comics, though. Hard sell on the first issue and, even though I didn't want a carbon copy of either version of the origin, I wasn't comfortable with it at first. Personally, I could give 2 craps about a new cartoon as long as the comics keep going. That's the only thing that I hated about the Nick buy out. But that's thankfully safe.

Still the 25th anniversary was disappointing. Playmates whined that another toy company was making collector's TMNT figures and lobbied for them to lose the license ONLY to not do anything with it. Didn't even have the lame BTTS toys they were threatening upon the world. I love the 2k7 movie and all, but once they started turning the franchise to that, it was over for Playamtes. Worst thing? They're STILL going to do the toys.

darthcello

Reaction score
It just seems weird that no one has really heard about all this merchandise that is supposedly coming. Usually, this stuff is advertised ahead of time (or maybe I'm just used to the Star Wars world, where there are no secrets, essentially. Everything is spoiled well in advance). I just thought it was encouraging from what was written in the article, but I'm holding my breath, slightly.

If this really is Muppet Domination, then bring it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plush toys, clothing, books, pillowcases, toothbrushes--you name it and you're likely to see a Muppet's face on it.
Toothbrushes, eh? I have VERY fond memories of These Oral B ones... wonder if they're going to be like that... or better yet, a Kermit head toothbrush like Walter uses in the opening sequence of the movie. I can't remember if I had the toothpaste or not... I know I had the Slimer one once... purple. Uh... Purple toothpaste with green Slimer on it. yeah...

muppetlover123

Reaction score
i just want a uncle deadly 80s robot and miss poogy plush
and maybe some pvcs
hopefully alot of walter stuff comes out

j3h

Reaction score
There are many unprintable things I would do for a half-way decent uncle deadly plush