1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Exhibit - Jim Henson's Fantastic World

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by zns, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

You know, I did a search because I could have sworn we had a thread on this already, but it appears that the word is "No." I can't locate it. If we locate it I'll combine the two threads here.

Anyway, I went today and it was wonderful. There were great Muppets on display from TMS, SS, and FR. Props from Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, and a whole BUNCH of great Jim Henson art. AKA: James and Jimmy. He signed it both ways, too.

There were video monitors up everywhere, and they ahve these great little time-line booklets as give-aways. What I wish they had was an exhibit program (they usually cost $25 USD at museums) which catalogs the entire exhibit.

Anyway, to see if it's coming near you, go to the bottom of this link:
    http://www.sites.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibits/henson/main.htm

Here's where I saw it today:
    http://www.arkarts.com/calendar_events/event-detail.asp?id=63
  2. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Sounds fantastic Fozzie. It would be neat if they published a book about it, just like they did with "The Art of the Muppets".
  3. The old thread is in this section, a few threads down. Maybe you just read too quickly and skimmed over it.
  4. muppetwriter

muppetwriter Active Member

Hey, I actually live in AR and went to see this exhibit close to the end of October. I took some pictures at the outside of the museum, but the security guard there told me that no pictures were allowed inside, so I couldn't capture some of the most interesting parts of the exhibit.

Here are the pics:

Outside the building

Outside the building #2

Poster Inside The Exhibit (the only picture I could've taken before I was told there weren't any allowed)

This is me outside the museum w/ my Kermit hat on. :)
  5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I thought that there used to be a color picture in the characters "featured creature" bio at the old henson.com.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I read at Muppet Wiki that this exhibet includes storyboards for The King of 8, including two alternate endings. Are there any storyboards for any other Hesnon animations from Sesame Street? What about the baker films (it'd be great if there were storyboards for the rare Song of One, or even video footage)?
  7. Fozzie Bear

yes, the King of 8 storyboards were there. It was fantastic. There was so much to take in that I can't remember all of it. You know, when you have a great dream and you remember bits and pieces but the majority of it is gone? That's what it's like to visit the exhibit.
  8. Crazy31088

Crazy31088 Member

I live in Little Rock, and I went to the exhibit for the second time yesterday. It was wonderful! I was familiar with many of the things on display already, but somehow I still found myself laughing real hard and then was moved to tears by the end of it-just thinking about this man who created so much that I take totally for granted, and then just suddenly *died*. Perhaps I even saw it as a cynical statement about our world that he died the way he did, yet his work has the greatest example of the joy of life, greater than any other artist that I know of. Or perhaps that's just overreaching.

Anyway, I am so glad that I had the chance to see this exhibit not once, but twice.
  9. Fozzie Bear

I had a sentimental problem leaving there. It's so hard to leave when those Muppets are just right THERE in front of you.

It leaves soon, doesn't it?
  10. rachelsunnydays

rachelsunnydays New Member

There is an opening event for the Mesa, AZ Jim Henson exhibit on December, 14th prior to opening to the public on December 15th. I donated a Semi-Private Class from my school, and I'm hoping others will donate something as well--it's a good cause, plus good advertisement.

http://www.arizonamuseumforyouth.com/Home.aspx
  11. Fozzie Bear

I miss the exhibit already! I wish they'd have done some kind of gala opening here. I love those--when I can afford them.
  12. Jrogers51375

Jrogers51375 New Member

I went to Jim Henson's Fantastic World while I was on a business trip in Arizona. Lots of great original ideas and concept art was on display. Some muppets on display too, I did take some pictures on my camera phone but was reprimanded for doing it. So if you catch it in another state don't take pictures.
  13. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Any news on The Jim Henson Fantastic World Tour coming to Washington D.C. or Maryland soon?
  14. It actually should be in DC starting in July! I thought about going over there to see it (and still might), but I'm planning more on seeing it when it comes to Orlando in February.
  15. Fozzie Bear

I never understood the 'don't take pictures' policy in exhibits as long as folks were NOT using a flash.

On the other hand, "don't eat the pictures" I totally understand!
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I know. Pictures of that event would be incredible... ;)

With this exhibit it's the seeing these puppets live that's the real thrill. Any fan that saw pictures of this event would also plan on going in the future when it comes around. Actually, seeing what's in store for them could actually be good advertising. Or um so I’ve heard. :o
  17. Fozzie Bear

I agree. You know what? I have a pamphlet of the event. Maybe I should upload that to the internet somewhere so folks can see what's there and plan to go?

Because, I don't know anybody with pictures of the exhibit to get those uploaded.

Yes, maybe I can scan and upload the pamphlet.
  18. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

NPR's All Things Considered ran a segment on this exhibit today. You can listen to the segment, which includes a sort of brief audio tour, at:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92502872

This page includes a one-minute clip from Jim's Time Piece in a split-screen format showing the finished work and the storyboards together.
  19. Fozzie Bear

20. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Wonderful. I've gotta see that exhibit at once.