Expert puppet designer and builder availible

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Thanks,!

Say, Peter wrote me last night and mentioned making a fabric tube that has elastic around it at both ends which would lock the rod in place if it had some cork around it (or some other item) to keep it from slipping. Is this the same as a "rod pocket?"
I think - but Ravagefrackle would certainly know better than I would - most of the Muppet rods are sewn in to the arm and the "rod pocket" is part of that. They also used this fancy patented clip in the 80s for awhile I think.

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
I find it strange that so many people keep asking the same questions about how Muppet arm rods work.
Yes, it's important that your arm rods don't twist around inside the hand if you want complete control of the puppets arm, so if you really want to know what the Muppet workshops secret is I'll tell you. IT'S A POCKET!!!! lol. All jokin' aside that's all it is, a pocket made out of some strong fabric so that the arm wire fits inside. After that its just tape and pins folks.
For the most part they're not stitched in very often, being that they get changed all the time for different reasons and also probably the biggest reason they don't stay in is that it's difficult to ship them or store them away in a box with the arm rods still attached, there's just not that much room. For the most part all the information any one needs has already been posted here either by RAVAGEFRACKLE, BUCKBEAVER, or yours truly.
For those of you who are curious about the clips that are used at Muppets, that's also been posted here in the puppetry section take a look, its not too much but it explains a bit about them. What I think many of you guys want is someone to show you exactly how to go about doing this and I don't blame you, but unfortunetly you just aren't going to get that from any of the Henson workshop people. The Muppet workshop isn't really into giving out their most treasured secrets and for very good reasons.
When building puppets there is a huge learning curve, you have to just keep tryin' out new ideas because new situations are always goin' to be there. There are a few people floating around here that have worked or still work for the JHC and some times you will maybe get a little tip or hint on how to go about figuring out a problem, but that's just how you learn. It's just wrong for Henson employees to give out secrets or talk about private matters outside the company and for the most part they won't do it. The people at the JHC are all professionals, and there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Some times people learn more if they are led down the path to finding the answer instead of it just being giving to them. The most important thing is to just keep doing what your doing, keep building puppets or keep performing. The only thing that can happen is that you'll become great at it some day.

As Always HAPPY PUPPET BUILDING TO ALL...:smile:

DPuppets

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about learning. You do gain alot learning by just doing it. But, I also understand it take more than just a few being shared to build something too. As I posted in another post that it is very rare that the higher end folks share to much of anything. They have that right...and not asking for everything but...also why die with the secret. Sometimes it is good to share and let them take it to a whole new level too. Also I know that not everything that is done in the higher end companys is all that too.

Erine81981

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
, i am a expert puppet designer and builder, serious intrest only , i am avalible, however my pricing is higher than most online puppet dealers, , but so is my quality. :wink: :concern: :confused:

see this page for samples

http://www.teatrosi.com/james.html
I was wondering if I could send u some of my ideas for Puppets? Would that be a problem?

Rugby

Reaction score
This is what used to frustrate me to no end as a kid trying to build puppets. I could never understand why JHC would not share a little info and giving me a chance instead of telling me to make a puppet out of paper plates and sandwich bags. I'm not really sure why the technique of building a puppet has to be such a secret. Even if we knew the secrets, 95% of us would probably still not be able to even come close to making a professional looking puppet. I'm not sure how puppetry is expected to remain in our culture if nobody is willing to pass down the methods and means of building puppets and keeping young people interested in the art of puppetry.

No matter how much you tell people to be creative and research their own methods of building a puppet, many fans of puppetry just will not be able to do it, as much as they want to be able to. And often times, that's the most frustrating thing to hear. Sometimes you need a place to start, and also, not everyone is a creative genious. They want to be, but they just don't have the ability. I see puppetry as a dying art in this age of CGI, high tech, entertainment if it's all going to be such a secret. Eventually, I believe people will lose interest in puppetry, and the muppets and muppet like puppets will go the way of Charlie McCarthy. When's the last time you saw a ventriloquist doll on tv? I figured Jim would have wanted kids and grown ups interested in puppetry and to keep the art alive by participating and learning and spreading the knowledge and joy of what he started. Jim had Bill Baird (sp?) to look up to and sure, Jim created his own style. But where do you go from muppet style puppets? A style that people like to work with and love to watch? Characters that are lovable? Many of us just want to build muppet like puppets for our own enjoyment, because we love the muppets and would love pretending to be a part of that world. Not to overtake the industry and make millions on knock off muppets. We don't want popsicle stick puppets because that's not what we grew up watching and loving. I'm not sure what's wrong with fans wanting to build muppet characters. It's got to be considered the greatest compliment and homage paid to the man that started it all. I've gone on long enough. Yes, you can tell how badly I wanted to build muppet puppets and work for JHC as a kid. :smile: I don't mean to sound bitter, but the muppets were a huge part of my life and I've always loved the inside behind the scenes aspect of them. I did build a few puppets, but only completed one really. The rest are all half finished stuff I didn't have the knowledge or materials to complete. Anyway, I'll wrap this whiny post up here.

A question for former/current JHC employees. Did the company make you sign NDA's(I'm sure they did), and if so, how long does that apply? Forever? What are the penalties for spilling the beans? Are there company officials monitoring web sites to ensure no secrets are shared?

I realize now that I'm a grown adult why JHC can't share their info, due to copyright reasons and monetary reasons and such, but it's still not any less frustrating. I still don't really understand why the JHC would not want to pass down Jim's vision and dream and at least maybe hold workshops or offer books and videos for the general public and show people how to build a generic character puppet. It kind of feels like hydrogen technology being supressed by big oil companies. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
ToastCrumbs said:
After that its just tape and pins folks.
Ink Pins? :embarrassed:

(J/K)

Thanks for posting that information about the pocket. The answers really are simple, and I suppose that trying too hard causes you to totally miss out on what there is to do simply.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sometimes people (not anyone in particular...I'm speaking generally here) will make their first post or two here and want to know everything there is to know about puppet building. I think what these people don't realize or appreciate sometimes is that a lot of professionals - the Muppet builders among them of course - spend years or even decades experimenting, practicing and perfecting techniques. They invest lots of time and often money learning to do what they do. They've certainly earned the knowledge and have the right to share as little or as much as they want with whomever they choose. Or to not share at all.

Personally, my philosophy about what's appropriate to shared and not share is probably best summed up by this example:

Although I've never met the man, Bob Baker is by all accounts a good guy. He's a great marionette builder. He has the most amazing technique for painting black light puppet heads. I've never seen anyone be able to duplicate it properly. Only Bob and one or two of his assistants/associates knows exactly how he does this. From what I've heard (and I have only heard this second hand) Bob more or less wants to take this "secret" technique to the grave (which will hopefully not be for a long time!). And you know what? He's certainly entitled to tell or not tell whomever he likes; it's his technique.

On the other hand, if you learn someone's technique from books, videos, etc. and a few years on a "newbie" puppet builder comes along you shouldn't try to horde information or try to make out that what you know is your own little secret. Other people helped you (even if it was just by writing a book) so you should be obligated to help them or at least point them in the direction of some good resources.

I have heard that during his lifetime Jim Henson pretty much kept an open door policy with the Muppet workshop. You couldn't exactly walk in off the street, but if you were hanging around you could go in there and learn a lot. Though that changed after his death (I'm told) I've been pleasantly surprised and grateful for the willingness of many past & present Henson folks to generously share information, answer questions and continue on that tradition.

Thanks guys!

buckshot

Reaction score
when i first started building, i thought that there was one universal way to build any puppet. i know now that i was horribly mistaken. i like the way that we share tips and ideas about building with each other...but i've realized that 20 people could use the same method of sewing, creating mouths, etc and still have completely different individual styles.

i agree that people should be encouraged to share the information they've learned along the way. i also agree that if you've developed a somewhat unique style of building that you're proud of, then it's entirely up to you as to whether or not you want to share that with others.

(ravagefrackle...great puppets!)

Rugby

Reaction score
I agree with you guys. It certainly is the right of people to not share their knowledge and techniques if they wish not to. I hope I wasn't sending the wrong message. But that doesn't mean it's still not frustrating. :smile: But anyway, I really don't expect anyone from the muppet workshop to go into any sort of detail about building methods, and that's why I haven't really asked any of them any any hard core questions. I think I only asked one question to toastcrumbs about the neck sleeve because I didn't think that would be some big trade secret they couldn't talk about. It sure would be nice though to have a buddy or a relative that worked on the inside.

I should say that toastcrumbs has been helpful with the hints he/she provides, and that is very much appreciated. But I would like to give a big shout out(do people still give 'shout outs' these days?) to Terry for his generosity in helping people with their questions. Thanks Terry!