Explaining the Muppets aren't just for kids

FozzieBear

Reaction score
(Im not sure if this is the right area to write this in, but here it goes..)

Hey All,

I was just wondering what you say to someone who says to you, arent the muppets meant to be for kids 5 - 10? My sisters friend is over and wont stop giggling every time she sees me coz I like the muppets. Any suggestions on what I can say to her to convince her that the muppets have a much broader age group than 5 - 10. Sheesh!!! :mad:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Just tell the truth. Say that Muppets were meant for people of all ages. (Well, with the exception of "Sesame Street.") Maybe, show her these forums and she'll find people of all ages there. Just a few suggestions.

Convincing John

Reaction score
I don't know what you have on videotape, but I would suggest that you show her some Muppet stuff that is not really for kids. The Dark Crystal is a good choice. (especially the essence draining scene) If you have them, the Gorch sketches from SNL would do as well. The scripts for them are on the Tough Pigs website. Just say "Here you go, here's a nice Muppet sketch for you to read" and hand her a printout of this:

http://www.toughpigs.com/anth02june.htm

The Carol Burnett episode has a couple of "adult" moments, too, like when Animal gets swept underneath Carol's dress. Carol says to him "You really ARE an animal!" And Animal laughs!

Or how about this quote about Fraggle Rock, straight from Jim Henson himself:

"Our first intent was to make a really good children's show, but if we do the show well, it's the kind of show that families and almost anybody can enjoy."

anybody can enjoy

If you have references of "Time Piece", that would be good, or how about when :flirt: swears in TGMC? If you have "The Muppet Musicians of Bremen" special, there are two lines of dialogue that come to mind. One is where Leroy the Donkey's owner is going to retire him.

"I'm gonna go in the house, get m'gun, and re-tire you PROPER!"

And, when Kermit tells Leroy to play the horn around Leroy's neck:

Kermit: "Go ahead and give it a toot."
Leroy: "All right, but I feel like a (synonym for donkey that starts with "J")."
Kermit: "Well, that kinda figures."

Sadly though, there are some that won't ever understand that the Muppets are for everybody. Some will always see everything that Jim Henson created as "kiddie-fare", no matter what it is. Unfortunately, I have run into dozens of these people, all of whom will never (as Cantus puts it) "see".

The bottom line is, the Muppets are for everyone. They're for everybody! EVERYBODY! Everybody in the world...

And me:smile:
And me:mad:
And me:concern:
And me:embarrassed: "ahhhh!"

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
:crazy:

Crazy Harry

:confused: :eek:
Bunsen and Beaker...

These 3 alone (plus the Chef.. there's no Chef Emoticom) have been proven to be more adult that anyone can imagine. We have a Character who LOOOOVES to blow stuff up, a mild mannered, yet sick Scientist who performs sadistic experiments on his lab assistant, who replies with shrieks (or Meeps) of terror, and a gibberish talking Cook who resembles a little bit of Dan Akroyd's Juila Child, and part crazy cartoon cook...

FozzieBear

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everyone, next time she comes around Ill tell her!

FozzieBear (Luke)