Extreme Newbie questions.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I am extremely new to puppet making. (I do good to make sock puppets.) I have some construction questions that I know have probably been answered before, but could someone point me in the right direction?

1. I want to make a hand and rod style puppet with a Kermit-shaped head, but with humanoid features. Can someone point me in the direction of where to look for supplies, patterns, etc?

2. I was wondering if there was a way to construct one head, but multiple bodies in different costumes? I realize that this would prevent me from building eye controls into the rods, but that is a bit beyond my abilities at the moment. I was thinking something along the line of building a fleece head/neck unit, and then adding a satin sleeve. The sleeve could then be threaded through the neck of the torso and out the bottom. Is this workable?

Thanks for all your help in advance,

Jason

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Eye questions

Ok, this project is getting bigger as I work on it.

1. If I were to make a winking or blinking eye mechanism, or even an eyebrow mechanism, is it easier to work the eyes with the controls on a rod or built into the head's mouth cavity? Also, how do you attach the eyelets or rings for the monofilament to go through inside the head? Can eyelet screws attatch to foam? Ideally I want this to be a single puppeteer puppet. (i.e. me.)

2. I realize that the "muppet look" has been overdone, but which eyes look the best on a character? I've heard of techniques using plastic spoons, fishing bobbers, pingpong balls, acryllic domes and more. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your work and sharing your expertise.

Jason