Eye mechanisms

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi, everybody, Convincing John, here.

I've got a puppet-related question. Um, I'm planning to build a puppet sometime in the next year or so (combined with other projects) and I was toying with the idea of an eye mechanism.

It's going to be a human puppet, (simple hand and rod) and I'm using just some simple materials. What I was thinking for an eye mechanism was along the lines of Beauregard. I'd like the eyes to close and squint. The head is going to be rather small, like maybe 1/2 of Guy Smiley's head, and about the same shape.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use? Levers? A string, maybe? A combination?

Convincing John

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You may want to try searching the forum, as I know we have discussed this many, many times before.

The best, simplest tutorial that I am aware of online is available at puppets `n props. This site belongs to Michael Brose who has written the definative book on Vent Dummy construction Figure Making Can Be Fun. Although his designs are intended for the Vent dummies, they can be easily adapted for puppets.

I'd actually encourage you to pick up Michael's book (it can be ordered through his site or Amazon.com I believe). It's fabulous and there is lots and lots of stuff in it that can be applied to puppet making (mold making, latex, mechanics, etc.).

You might also want to try posting a message for CbBoy on the BT Forum - he's kind of a gearhead and I pick his brain alot when it comes to tech stuff. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to come around here much these days. :frown:

Good luck!