Eyelids

BorkBork

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea on how to pattern fleece-eyelids to go over the eyes, behind the furry eyebrowse on blinking eyes?

wes

Reaction score
I just trace a line on the eyeball and glue the fleace on, when making the eye's blink it get a little more tricky, but not difficult.

BorkBork

Reaction score
I just trace a line on the eyeball and glue the fleace on, when making the eye's blink it get a little more tricky, but not difficult.
Yes so do i, but i asked for blinking eyes :wink: It's not the mech i am after, and not the furr strip either, rather the fleece lid that goes behind the furr, over the eyes.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Thanks, but...
I don't think you guys understand me.As i said earlier. I do not want to know how to assemble the eyemech, i know that already. What i am asking for is if anyone has a pattern for the eyelids made of fleece, what shape do i make them from?

Have a look at this gluvets video. The purple piece of fleece is what i am talking about. Is that just a straight strip, or is it patterned in a particular way. I hope you guys understand what i mean...:stick_out_tongue: :big_grin:

Blink

Reaction score
I've made mine with an isosceles trapezoid shape. You can do it any number of ways.

I sew the larger edge to the fur eyebrow fabric and the cut the length to fit when the eyes are in the "closed" position. Sew that end to the puppet's head.

If you want it to contour the eyes then you may have to "sew and go". Sew and cut until you have the shape you want (probably glue in parts as well).

I hope that helps.

BorkBork

Reaction score
I've made mine with an isosceles trapezoid shape. You can do it any number of ways.

I sew the larger edge to the fur eyebrow fabric and the cut the length to fit when the eyes are in the "closed" position. Sew that end to the puppet's head.

If you want it to contour the eyes then you may have to "sew and go". Sew and cut until you have the shape you want (probably glue in parts as well).

I hope that helps.
Could you perhaps take some photos next time you do this?

I was thinking of sewing a dome, think that might work?

Blink

Reaction score
Could you perhaps take some photos next time you do this?

I was thinking of sewing a dome, think that might work?
I am making a blinking eye mech puppet now. I will take photos, but not sure when I will have time to finish it up. I'll try to put it on my blog when I am done.

A dome for each eye? It may work. It would be an interesting design challenge.

practicecactus

Reaction score
I know this is a slightly older thread but I'm building another blinking puppet and trying to refine my previous attempt, so I'm putting this idea out there as a tip.

To make the curved material over the eye, I got some stretchy material [it just needs to stretch in one direction at least] and stretch it over a sphere. I'm leaving a gap between the eyelid and eye so it doesn't rub, so you'll need a ball bigger than the eye, for that. With your material stretched over your ball, tape it up at the loose end so your material is nice and tightly curved over the rounded surface [it'll look like a microphone] and use something to harden it up. I used art fixative but hairspray should work too. Do some tests, but anything that sets clear should work. It might get stuck and be hard to get it off your ball, but if it gets a bit creased or wrinkled in the process, just put it back on loosely and give it another coat. Your initial setting should keep it's shape enough so as to not need it be tightly stretched over. Art fixative loosens it up again when it moistens so that knocks out any creases and wrinkles from the removal, but it keeps it's general shape still.
I also did some tests with PVA/wood glue and some rather liberal coats left it solid like plastic.
Then it's just a matter of trimming it and securing it to your mechanism- looped wire or whatever.

Important thing is to use something that dries clear.
I'm gonna use this method for non-moving eyelids in future too.
Hope that helps.