Family Circus movie (facepalm)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, you know what comic strip I would LOVE to see be made into a movie? Get Fuzzy.

BUT, if there were to ever be a movie, I would want it to be all completely animated, traditionally; no CGI, no live action/CGI combination, just ALL 2D animation. Plus, I would also like if Darby Conley is heavily involved in the production, as far as the writing and such goes. Matter of fact, as I understand it, apparently there was going to be a Get Fuzzy movie sometime in the early-to-mid 2000s or so, but nothing ever came about it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Dennis the Menace is also a one-panel comic strip (except on sundays) and that got a live-action series, two animated shows, and four movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And dunno if you heard this as well... In answer to what's next, there's apparently a Heatcliff movie coming as well. And a Yogi Bear 2.
*Loads up on stinkbomb torpedos to fire at the production company behind these rotters.
There hasn't been anything on a Heathcliff movie. Unless you're talking about Bad Kitty.

It's clearly DTV quality, and it's been delayed for years now (it was supposed to come out last year). I doubt we'll even see it. The only theatrical potential it has is maybe a Kidtoon Cinema presentation. I don't think we have to worry about A Garfield: Tale of Two Kitties type movie. I expect this to be more along the lines of Garfield gets Real.

As for Yogi Bear 2, that's because the first one was an undeserved sleeper hit (and I can't believe I contributed 6.50 to that boring film). That's a given.

According to Wikipedia, Cathy revolves around the "four basic guilt groups": food, love, Mom, and work.
Like I said. Perfect chick flick. We'll probably see Katherine Heigle gain a whole 5 pounds to be Hollywood fat and don a mousy brunette wig.

Dennis the Menace is also a one-panel comic strip (except on sundays) and that got a live-action series, two animated shows, and four movies.
Yeah. Him too. The movie was okay, but I think the Dic Cartoon series was the best thing they had with the character. There's supposedly a lost set of animated shorts for a show called Curiosity Shop too. Too bad the other Dennis the Menace [/quote]didn't take over here. I'd almost like to see someone make that a live action movie.

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, Cathy revolves around the "four basic guilt groups": food, love, Mom, and work. Sounds like a real laff riot!
This thread got me thinking about a Cathy movie, and you know what? It would probably end up being very similar to the Bridget Jones movies.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd love to see a Hagar the Horrible movie!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I mean a real Heathcliff film, exactly as you surmissed, in the vein of Garfield Gets Real (the film for which Bill Murray said he'd do the voice for so long as he didn't have to actually act). Admittedly, I only glanced over the headline when it popped up at Filmforce this last week.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah. Him too. The movie was okay, but I think the Dic Cartoon series was the best thing they had with the character. There's supposedly a lost set of animated shorts for a show called Curiosity Shop too. Too bad the other Dennis the Menace
didn't take over here. I'd almost like to see someone make that a live action movie.[/quote]

The 1993 movie is the best. The others that were either made-for-video or made-for-tv are sort of a chore to watch, though I did enjoy A Dennis the Menace Christmas Carol a little, and I never saw all of the original made-for-tv Dennis movie which was later retitled Dennis the Menace: Dinosaur Hunter.

I should point out that there are at least two animated Family Circus specials, celebrating Christmas and Easter. Maybe those will get DVD releases as a result of this (or have they been released on DVD?). Maybe this'll open the door to a "Complete Family Circus" collection like how there's a "Complete Peanuts" collection.

Princeton

Reaction score
Have you seen the CN Mad spoof of Family Circus? Anyways, I don't think a movie is a great idea for them. First Charlie Brown, now Family Circus... what next? Dilbert?
Dilbert was actually made into a TV series in the late 90's but didn't run for very long. While we're speculating, I can say that a Pearls Before Swine movie is in the works.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On that same token, Peanuts, Garfield, and Grimm have had TV series, Opus has had some specials, and I know for a fact that Family Circus has had at least one Easter special, I know because I have it on tape somewhere (Dizzy Gillespi voiced the Easter Bunny).

dwmckim

Reaction score
Dilbert was actually made into a TV series in the late 90's but didn't run for very long. While we're speculating, I can say that a Pearls Before Swine movie is in the works.
Oh, i'm giddy! They made some shorts based off some of their classic strips a couple years ago (including one of my all time favorites: the fried eggs Sunday strip) and i was hoping more would come of that!

But back on topic of Family Circus Movie, will it be widescreen, fullscreen, fullcircle or semicircle?