1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Family Circus movie (facepalm)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Oct 19, 2012.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. robodog

robodog Active Member

I like Mother Goose and Grimm. I think I have some of the comic strip treasuries around here somewhere. The series was pretty good too if I recall.
  2. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

I dunno, I can KIND OF see it as a live action movie. All they gotta do is change everything about the comic that's made it work over the past 50 years. The comic isn't a BAD comic, it's not my FAVORITE comic but it's not bad. I think that Dilbert also wasn't a BAD TV show. It WAS on Comedy Central for a while when they had The Tick and The Critic on and they also have a web series somewhere online, if I find it, I'll let you know. Personally, I dunno HOW they successfully do comics to TV considering that the joke is ALWAYS in the 3rd panel and, with animation, that would take about 2 minutes to do it. That's how the Garfield and Friends shorties segments worked.

Daniel
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Mark Evanier wrote that cartoon as well. He's really great at adapting comics to animation. His work on the 1979 Plastic Man cartoon isn't something to sneeze at either.

I really wish Monty got the respect it deserved too. The only Robotman cartoon was some ultra-corny 80's toy commercially TV special. It's a shame Jim Meddick's version of the character never got an animated version. Not even web shorts.

All I know of the TV specials is they forced some of their brand of precociousness into the story whenever possible. I don't see much of a difference from them working a one liner/sight gag from a Garfield Strip or a Peanuts strip into story. The only real difference is that both Garfield and Peanuts, even without TV specials, were capable of having a story. Sometimes multiple connected storylines in a week or more. All we have to go on for story are those three obscure TV specials.

Something tells me this is going to wind up either a lame "affectionate parody" or just a generic family movie about a family with the title Family Circus pasted on.
  4. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Probably the generic family movie about a family that has NOTHING to do with Family Circus. They just HAPPEN to have the names of the people in the movie but nothing to do with said people.

Daniel
  5. Drtooth

Yeah, I hate when they do that. Usually that happens when they buy the rights to a license to make a movie, sit on it for years, and then fart one out before the license expires.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the first time I heard of Mother Goose and Grimm, it was in a commercial for the cartoon series with Garfield talking about Grimm. Both shows were on CBS, but now I wonder if having Garfield promote the show had anything to do with Mark Evanier writing both.
  7. minor muppetz

I like the comic as well. Though I don't seek out book collections of the strip or particularly desire adaptations of the franchise.
  8. Drtooth

I think it also has something to do with Mike Peters and Jim Davis being peers or friends or something of some kind. Grimmy had a cameo in one of the DTV CGI Garfield movies.

I'd venture to say Jim recommended Mark to Peter.
  9. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I agree with Snowthy, Family Circus might be cloying to some, but it's not all that bad. In fact, there's an anthology of the first few years of the strip from the early 60's, and was quite edgy at times. I actually liked it when I was growing up back in the 70's. There might not be anything edgy or provocative, but to a younger reader there's still a certain appeal.

But given the precedent set by the three holiday specials (Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Easter) a feature film could get quite sugary (the cinematic equivalent of eating a whole jar of Marshmallow Fluff)- so watch at your own risk.

Although it might've been nice, I'm glad Bill Watterson had the integrity not to exploit Calvin and Hobbes (he's received a number of tempting offers, but turned each one down). So at least there's no regrets that his creation will ever get tampered with (only the bootleg decals of Calvin peeing on a wall, which Bill gets no residuals for).
  10. robodog

robodog Active Member

Those decals make my blood boil every time I see them. I hate seeing anyone's intellectual property exploited like that. I kind of doubt most people who buy those things even know who Calvin is. I have to believe any fan of the source material would refuse to contribute to anyone who would blatantly rip Watterson off like that.
    dwmckim likes this.
  11. Drtooth

I don't see why he doesn't go after that stuff, but I ALSO don't see why he's so head up his butt stubborn about not making LEGAL C&H merchandise. I'm not saying he has to make Happy Meal Toys and Gum filled plastic heads. Why not a classy Calvin and Hobbs collector's statue or Palisades style action figures for the adult collector?
  12. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I always see them around where I live with a Yankee or Red Sox logo in the path of Calvin's "aim". They're disrespectful to the strip, and they also reflect really poorly on the intelligence and class of the people who use them.
  13. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I swear there was a Cracked article somewhere explaining why he couldn't legally do anything about it...
  14. minor muppetz

I first saw those images before I read the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip (at the time I wasn't reading newspaper comics at all).
  15. minor muppetz

I wonder if the makers of this movie are going to research the few Family Circus TV specials for reference on how to handle the movies, since a half-hour special can develop the characters personalities better than a short comic strip.
  16. Drtooth

I seriously doubt it. Most of these things don't even bother to watch a bloody episode of a non-obscure TV show, let alone digging up some rare TV specials. Half the time these things are in name only.

Only time I saw them do a LOT of continuity research was the Bullwinkle film. They had that Pottsylvanian anthem they sung that one time.
  17. robodog

robodog Active Member

I read something about that somewhere but I'm not sure if it was Cracked. Basically since there's no official C&H merchandise for the bootlegs to be taking money away from Watterson can't really legally do anything about them. It's been awhile since I read it so that's an incredibly simplified explaination though. There's more to it than that. I don't really understand it fully since I'd think a creator should have total control over his creation whether he allows merchandise or not. Apparently it doesn't work that way for some wierd legal reason.
  18. Drtooth

I understand the artistic temperament to not want to "cheapen" your vision with crappy over exposed merchandise. But it also robs those who genuinely consider themselves fans legal, legitimate, tasteful, collector's grade merchandise. And by refusing to make decent quality T-shirts that carry the brand, he's allowing the market to be flooded with extremely cheap Calvin whizzing on something T-shirts. I'm sure there is an army of C&H fans that would want a well designed T-shirt to represent.
  19. robodog

robodog Active Member

I agree with you Drtooth. I'd love a well designed C&H shirt. And there are tons of people who want collector quality action figures. Allowing quality merchandise doesn't cheapen artistic vision. It's when you go the Jim Davis route and start letting them plaster your characters everywhere from tampons to toilet paper that it starts to get questionable.
  20. Drtooth

There are those who rubber stamp their names on forms to get stuff made to get as much money as possible. Then there are those who feel that any merchandising is like that. C&H deserves classy, limited release merchandise. Too bad since the creator doesn't want that, we get shirts that insult the characters, rather than give them the nostalgic respect they deserve.

But getting back to the film... Seriously... what can they do? And are they going to just hang lampshades on everything? Is little Billy going to leave a dotted line trail?