FanFic: Is That A Song There?

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
This is the start of my newest fanfiction, possibly a contination of "The Trilogy", known as "Remembering The Good Times We Had", "The Search For Sadie", and "Demon's Delight"

I hope you all enjoy this enusing story, concerning a well-known weirdo.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Prologue

A small box lay in the corner of an otherwise cluttered room. It was old, and slightly tattered. It had been shipped, and blown up; burned and sat upon. That box had definately seen better days. The faded lettering on it's side did not do justice to it. It read "Gonzo".

He was in mourning. He had cried harder then anyone else. Until very recently, she was his only family that he knew.

Of course, he had gained friends, and a girlfriend of sorts. He had many friends. But...he never got to say what he had wanted to say. It was almost like when he was little. Always getting yelled at, always getting picked last for games.

When they had all left, he thought...perhaps it would be best. Just him, and Scooter. He found out fast, that friends don't always stay forever. They leave, and they stayed away.

Then, it was just him and Nanny. They had become so close, son and mother, best friends. He showed off his crazy antics, she always laughed. If he got hurt, she helped him. If he got lonely, she played with him. It was wonderful. So he had thought, looking back. But everytime he looked around that large room, he remembered. It was just him. And him alone.

He was so alone in this world it seemed.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter One

"So, what's that box again, Gonzo?" Rizzo asked Gonzo, as he packed away somethings back into his closet.

"Oh, that...it's nothing." He replied trying to get his mind off of it, and onto his latest act for the show. He didn't really feel like talking about it at all, even to his rat friend.

"Nothing. Nothing isn't nothing to you, pal. So what is it?" He glanced at Gonzo, folding his arms over, while sitting in his hammock, looking down at Gonzo.

Gonzo stopped for a second, and glanced inside the box, he saw his old red jumper, and his small stuffed toy chicken. He smiled. He reached inside the box and stroked the tiny chicken softly, with one finger, while he tucked the jumper down further into the box. Then he pulled his hand out, and closed it again, carefully placing some packing tape over the top of it.

"So? Are you gonna tell me or what?"

"No. And don't go into that box, okay?"

Rizzo simply shrugged his shoulders, keeping an eye on Gonzo. He was acting unusual, even for Gonzo. He wouldn't talk about why he was gone for nearly the entire day a few weeks ago, before the Winter show. Nobody would talk about it. He remembered Bunsen and Beaker keeping holed up inside the Muppet labs for a few days as well. Nobody would speak of that day, he was getting a little worried.

"What happened, Gonzo? You can tell me, your buddy, Rizzo." He asked, genuinely. He really worried about Gonzo.

Gonzo sighed, and looked back down at the small box in front of him. He sat down on the floor, and fingered his chili pepper vest for a moment. She had given him that for Christmas two years ago. He loved that old vest. She remembered his birthday....or more like his "finding day" as he had called it.

Rizzo watched Gonzo, as he was silent. He saw Gonzo stand up, and set the box in the closet and close the door. Then he smiled, and turned around to Rizzo brightly. He seemed a little too happy it seemed. He was trying to hide his emotions, and Rizzo knew it.

"Why don't we see what's going on for dinner tonight?"

"Yeah, food! Hope it's edible this time..."

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Two

He wondered what she thought, when she had found him. Did she think he was an alien? Or that he was simply a forlorn bird forgotten by it's mother? His mind traveled back to a few days after Scooter had left. Back when it was just him and her.

-----------

"So, Nanny...what happened that day?" The little blue weirdo asked his Nanny, as he clambered into her lap. She was holding a small photobook that was a beautiful blue color, like he was. The first picture in that book was of a small glittering rock it seemed.

"Ooh, what's that?" He asked, pointing at that first picture. The small glittering rock shone in that old photo, catching the sunlight's rays and reflecting them in small patches of light across the camera's lens.

"That's you, Gonzo. In that little...ship of yours. I found you on the beach that day." She replied, smiling. She turned a page, and it showed a young man, wearing black shorts, and a white tshirt, it looked like he was running towards the glittering stone. He was looking back at the person taking the photo, smiling, and waving his hand.

"Wow. Who's that!?" He pointed to that other photo then, he really liked looking at photos with Nanny.

"That's my brother, Eli. He's the one who spotted you. He thought you were a glittering jewel on the beach that day." She smiled down at him, and he laid against her chest, looking at some of the other pictures. One of them was of Nanny, wearing a red tshirt and purple shorts, holding a small baby in her arms. The blanket around him was a shimmering red, with sparkling yellow trim.

"Am I still...a glittering jewel?" He wasn't sure how to ask that, he didn't really know what glittering meant just yet, but he laughed seeing himself as a tiny baby in her arms. "That's me! Wooah...I was small wasn't I?"

"Yeah, you were very small. I took you home that day, back to my house."

"Why did you call me 'Gonzo', Nanny?"

She paused for a moment, trying to remember why she had called him Gonzo, she remembered when Eli had looked inside the tiny ship he was in, and found a small notecard. It had read:

"Please, kind people of Earth. Take care of my baby brother, Gonzo. We will see him eventually, when the time is right. Many great regards, Ubergonzo."

She smiled, and patted his feathery head softly. "I called you Gonzo, because I thought that was quite a fitting name. Plus, you could be a great daredevil you know! The Great Gonzo....how does that sound?"

"I really like it Nanny. Ooh!! I got something to show you, Nanny!!" He hopped out of her lap, and he ran into the Nursery, grabbing a small blanket and tying it around his neck lightly, making a cape out of it. He climbed to the top of the sofa, and smiled back at Nanny.

"I, The Great GONZO will attempt.....a flying backflip with a double turn, onto the sofa!!" He then tried to do it, and he ended up on his back on the floor.

"Gonzo, be careful!" Nanny said, quite urgently. Although she normally liked his stunts, she didn't particularly like this one.

He sat up, and rubbed his head a little. "Ooww...that hurt..."

She knelt down beside him, and looked him over. "Are you okay, Gonzo? Did you hurt something?"

"I'm fine Nanny. Did you like it?" He smiled up at her. He loved to hear what she had to say, after all, she was the only audience he had.

She laughed, and picked him up. "I loved it Gonzo. Just, don't do that when I'm not around, okay?"

"Okay, Nanny."

The two of them settled down onto the couch, and started to watch Gonzo's favorite show, "Amazing Feats of Astonishing Stunts".

---------

Gonzo smiled, remembering just how much Nanny cared for him. She cared for everyone, but she made sure he got the attention that he needed. He stared at his dinner, and started to eat. He was glad it didn't speak to him, or was bubbling oddly.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice start... Has potential to tie in with the others and make this Book 4 of your collection.

Few things... That's Chapter Two there where Gonzo's looking at the pictures with Nanny, not Chapter Three. You might want to fix that.
Also... If Death were to make an appearance... You might want to avoid writing in all Caps for him. Makes it seem as if he's shouting, and I'm not sure if that's the effect you're going for when he speaks.
Another thing... In Muppet Babies as you're well aware, Nanny was never shown from the head up and you've captured her descript wonderfully. Well, there was this one episode she was looking for someone to look after the babies while she went on a bit of a holiday. The babies imagined all kinds of baby-sitters... And the eventual taker was Fanny, Nanny's Sister. Her socks were purple/violet and green instead of Nanny's green and white. Her clothing was a bit more violet than Nanny's.
Just something to get those creative juices pumping.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wow...That is a great finding of Gonzo...I always wonderd about that, to be honest...The description of the box was perfect, and also it was great to see Camilla (the toy)!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Pfftt...Thanks, Ed. XD Never realized I put it down as Chapter Three.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh, I like the Capitals for Death...(Actually, I don't like death at all :stick_out_tongue: But he is growing on me.) But teh capitals are a nce touch, and an MC tradition now I think.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yea! Another great story! Or, start of a story I should say, because I know there will be much more to come. I think it's interesting that you chose to focus on Gonzo and I love the flashback with Nanny. It looks like a heartwarming story and I'm excited to read more!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Chapter Three

Gonzo finished his dinner, and walked over to the small table, and went shuffling around for some keys. He found them, and tucked them into his pocket, softly smiling.

"Hey, where you going at this time of night, Gonzo? It's really cold outside." Scooter piped up from the couch, seeing Gonzo starting to head out the door.
"Uh...just gotta do something before I get to bed for the night." He stammered, he really didn't want to say what he was doing. He didn't want anyone else to go with him.

Scooter sat up against the couch, and watched Gonzo check his pockets, to make sure he had enough money. He wondered just what he was going to do this late at night while looking at his money.

"Do you need anyone to drive you somewhere? I could get Fozzie, or Dr. Teeth you know? Or even I could drive you wherever you need to go.."

Gonzo just shook his head, and closed the door behind him. He had a thick purple jacket on, and one thing on his mind.

'Get to the florists before they close.'

----------

He cranked up his small truck, and headed out into the cold, unforgiving night. He wondered in his heart why he chose to do this, on this night. He saw the florists lights were still on, but the owner was leaving.

He hopped out of his truck quickly, running towards the man. "HEY! Hey, hey....can I get something still??"

"I'm sorry, I've closed up shop for the night. Why don't you come again tommorrow, I'll be open at 9am." With that, the florist smiled at him, and started walking down the street. Gonzo sat down on the sidewalk for a second, looking at his truck. He had wanted to get some flowers in there. For someone very special to him. But he wasn't sure what to do now, he saw the young woman walk out of her clock shop, locking up her door.

She stopped, seeing the small blue...whatever he was sitting on the sidewalk. "You okay buddy?"

"Huh? Yeah, I guess so. I had just wanted to get some flowers but the shop's closed. Most of the stores are closed now, and I don't know what to do. Nothing's blooming cause it's winter. So that won't help.."

She smiled, and opened her shop back up for a moment. She walked behind her counter, and found an old dozen of roses that the florist had given her eariler. Walking back outside, she handed them to Gonzo.

"Ed always gives me a dozen of roses at the end of the day, the one's that don't sell, of course. I usually put them beside my register. They're a little battered...but, would this work?"

Gonzo smiled, and he delicately took the roses from the lady. "Oh, yes. These would work wonderfully! Thank you!!"

"My names Beth. Glad I could help you.."

"I'm Gonzo. Thank you, Beth."

"Your welcome, Gonzo." She closed up her shop, and started walking down the street to her car. Gonzo walked back to his truck and gently laid the roses in the seat beside him. They were beautifully arranged in a delicate wrapping of tissue paper and plastic. But those roses had seen better times. They were a little droopy, and one of them had a lot of petals missing. They still smelled good though. He figured, they would work for what he was wanting to do.

He got back in his truck, and drove off. He headed for a place he thought he'd never go to again.

------------

"So...here we are again, Nanny. I just wish...." He paused, looking up at the beautiful full moon, as it hung low in the sky. He laid the roses gently on her grave, and he sat down on the damp earth beside it. He absentmindly patted the ground.

"I wish I had told you how much you meant to me. I mean...you raised me! I never told my brothers and sisters that you raised me. They figured I just fought for my own here on Earth. On top of that...I never got to tell you I've finally found out who I am. You were right Nanny. I never believed you, but you were right. I was an alien, a unique whatever."

He looked down, but not with sadness, a smile on his face. He stratched his nose thoughtfully. "I wonder what Bunsen and Beaker did when they found out. They never really knew you I think. Or maybe they did, and they just never really talked much about you."

The grave was silent, as all graves are. Merely dirt, and stone. Grass, and most likely some worms or other creepy crawlies burrowing through that dirt. As sacred as it seemed, it was still was it was. Dirt.

He laid down beside the grave, looking up at the starry sky. He remembered doing this with Nanny many times. She would point out the constellations, Gonzo always remembered them.

Most people would think that it was weird. An alien laying on the ground, beside a grave, pointing out constellations to it.

"And see that small one, Nanny? The one that looks like a star? That's where I came from. Ooh, and that one looks kinda like Camilla.."

A lone spirit sat on the gravestone, silent. She smiled, watching Gonzo. She pondered if she should speak to him, let him know everything is alright with her, and everything will be alright with him. But..she let him be.

He kept pointing out the stars, until he fell asleep on the cold ground. Nancy didn't want to wake him up, but she knew he'd get cold. She floated over to his truck and found an old blanket in the back, she covered him with it, and she kept watch over him, so he wouldn't get harmed.