Fanfiction: The Fraggle From Outer Space

Gold Demona

Reaction score
I'm kinda weary about posting this here, especially after reading most of the entry "On Writing Fantiction (Advice)". I guess I'm taking kind of a leap by putting it here, so let me know if y'all like it so I know whether or not I should post more.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Nephew Gobo,

I was in the process of making several new friends when I stumbled upon a most unexpected sight. It was a fraggle! I have found a fraggle living in Outer Space! Her name is Goldie, and she is very anxious to meet her fellow fraggles. She is a strange one I must warn you, as she doesn’t seem to know much about fraggle customs. However, as all fraggles do, she is of wholesome character and shares a love for fun and music. For that reason, I have given her the address to which I send these postcards in the hopes that she can venture to Fraggle Rock and learn everything there is to know about being a fraggle. I know I can count on you and the others, Nephew, to show her around the Rock. If she decides to take this opportunity, you should be seeing her within the next few days.
Love,
Your Uncle Traveling Matt

The Fraggle From Outer Space
Chapter 1

“Finally! I’ve found it!”

The thin, shaggy, gray dog awoke to his master’s sudden shout after having just fallen asleep. Slowly he turned his head to see the mildly eccentric old man holding up what looked like a very large photo album.

“Come on, Sprocket! Come up here and see!”

With a loud yawn, he slowly got up from his bed and trotted his way to the old workbench where old Doc did all his work. He hoisted himself up on his hind legs so he could see the album as it was laid down on the workbench in front of him.

“It’s a photographic record of my family’s history. Did you know that my ancestors were from Ireland?”

“Rohhhh!” he barked in mock disbelief.

“Yes, it’s true. Here is my great-grandfather on the boat from Ireland. And that’s my great-grandmother standing beside him, and the baby in her arms is my grandfather.”

“Rarr? Ar Ar Ar!”

“Well, of course it’s important! This photo album is something special to me! Sprocket, haven’t you ever wondered where you came from? What your ancestors were like and what they did?”

“Reh,” He shrugged and then dropped down from the workbench so he could trot back to his nice comfy bed.

Doc followed his dog down to his doggy bed and knelt down beside him.

“Now, you don’t mean to tell me that you’ve never even thought of it.”

Sprocket looked up at his old friend for a moment, and then tilted his front paw left and right, tilting his head in time with it.

“What if I told you that your ancestors were wolves?”

The dog stopped his tilting and lifted an eyebrow at the suggestion.

“Arrr?” He questioned, tipping his head aside.

“It’s true. All domestic breeds of dogs were descended from wolves, and that includes you.”

“Rarroh?”

“Yes, really. I’ll bet that deep down inside you are all sorts of wild animal instincts that have been laid dormant over the generations.”

Sprockets long floppy ears perked up.

“Say, I’ve got an idea. How about we take the week off and go on a camping trip? Go out into the wild home of your ancestors.”

He gasped with eagerness and began to bounce in his bed.

“Ar! Ar! Ar! Ar! Ar! Ar! Ar! Ar!”

“Alright alright, Sprocket! Settle down! He have to get everything ready.”

“ARROOOOO! Ar! Ar! Ar! ARROOOOO!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Deep down in the rock beneath Doc’s house was a quick and steady rhythmic beat, growing louder and clearer the deeper one went. Eventually, the beat was accompanied by other equally rhythmic sounds. Then when we’ve reached the clearing below, the sounds blast to life as dozens of furry fraggles bounce around singing and dancing and clapping along to their fun and festive music as it echoes throughout the Great Hall.

The doozers busy at work as usual, building their doozer constructions. All around the Great Hall, seemingly undisturbed by the fraggles and their constant playing, singing, and partying.

* (Fraggles)
Dance your cares away.
Worry’s for another day.
Let the music play
Down at Fraggle Rock!

(Doozers)
Work your cares away.
Dancing’s for another day.

(Fraggles)
Let the fraggles play.
Down at Fraggle Rock!

Dance your cares away!
Worry’s for another day.
Let the music play
Down at Fraggle Rock!
Down at Fraggle Rock!
Down at Fraggle Rock!

“Down in the dumps is more like it!”

A short bluish-green fraggle with bright red shaggy hair, and a brown cap on his head marched into the Great Hall in his usual air of woe.

Most of the other fraggles, seeing as the song was finished, went back to what they were doing. Four fraggles in particular approached the small and woeful fraggle. A yellow fraggle of red sweater and big red pigtails hopped up to him carrying one end of a large banner in her hands, while the other end had already been hung to the rock wall on the one side of the Great Hall.

“Hey, Boober! It’s about time you showed up!”

“I’m not here for this silly party, Red!”

“Well, you’re here, aren’t you?”

An orange fraggle with purple hair jumped down beside her after having just finished hanging up some paper chains. He was wearing a yellow shirt with red stripes and a brown vest over it.

“Yeah, Boober,” he added, “We were beginning to wonder if you were gonna come at all. We’re almost done getting the welcome party together.”

“I would’ve preferred not to have come at all, Gobo,” Boober explained, “This whole thing reeks of death and pestilence.”

A tall purple fraggle of long green hair and a long brown open-front sweater walked up behind Boober and placed her hands on his shoulders.

“Oh, don’t be silly, Boober. There’s nothing to be worried about.”

“Mokey, of course there is!” Boober insisted, “This fraggle’s coming here from Outer Space!”

A short greenish-yellow fraggle with matching yellow hair and a colorful palm tree shirt happily hopped in among them.

“Yeah, aren’t you excited? I mean seriously, a fraggle from Outer Space! Who’da thunk it, huh?”

“Wembley, that’s exactly what I’m afraid of,” Boober replied, “This fraggle’s been living in Outer Space her whole life! Do you realize what this means?”

“No, what?”

“A lifetime’s worth of germs from Outer Space! Who knows what sorts of horrible diseases she’ll bring with her? I am telling you we’re all doomed!”

“Boober, that has got to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard you say,” Red rolled her eyes, “Next to that whole thing about it being bad luck to tug on your tail.”

“But it IS bad luck to tug on your tail. I’ve seen it!”

“Seriously, Boober, you worry too much,” Gobo said as he reached into his vest pocket and whipped out his uncle’s postcard, “My Uncle Matt entrusted all of us to teach her about being a fraggle. So when she gets here, we have to show her everything.”

“That’s IF she gets here,” Red said, “She got her directions from HIM, after all.”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean? My Uncle Matt has an excellent sense of direction. If anyone can get her here, he can.”

“HA! Please! That fraggle couldn’t lead a fish to water on a rainy day. If she ever gets here at all, it’d be a miracle.”

“And if she never gets here at all, it’ll be a great relief.”

“If you’re so worried, Boober, then why did you join us out here?” Gobo asked.

“I’m out to get more rock soap, and the Great Hall just happened to be on the way. So if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be going the rest of the way.”
Without another word, Boober marched his way past the others and out of sight.

“You don’t suppose it’s true, do you, Gobo?” Wembley asked. “About the germs from Outer Space?”

“Wembley, don’t be ridiculous!”

“Yeah, Wembley,” Red added, “That’s just Boober being his usual paranoid self. He’ll probably get over it once this Goldie gets here.”

“Probably,” Mokey said. “I wonder what she’s like.”

“I’ll bet she’ll be really good at Rock Hockey,” Red suggested.

“Well, one thing’s for sure,” Gobo said, “She’s got a nose for adventure if she’s coming all this way from Outer Space.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” Wembley agreed, “I mean, Outer Space is a really huge place, isn’t it? I’ll bet she’d have to be just as brave as your Uncle Matt.”

“If not more so,” Mokey added, “It’s so exciting, isn’t it?”

“Yeah well,” Red replied as she started climbing up the other rock wall, “It’ll be even more exciting once we get this party started.”

The others nodded as they watched Red hang the other end of the banner, which had “Welcome, Goldie Fraggle!” painted on it.

While Doc was making a final check on his preparations, Sprocket was already raring to go. He was all set to go camping, having packed all the essentials; especially his bones and favorite chew toys.

Finally, the old man turned to his faithful dog and proclaimed:

“Alright, Sprockey. You ready to go?”

“ARROOOOO!”

“Then let’s not waste any more time,” he laughed, “I’ll just grab the mail before we go, and I’ll sort through it when we get back.”

He opened the door, and Sprocket happily trotted out of it. Doc went and got the contents out of his mailbox, and he dropped them down on top of the workbench.

Doc picked up his camping gear and followed Sprocket out, shutting the door behind him and locking it.

The workshop was very quiet after that, without the old man tinkering with his usual harebrained inventions or the dog barking at the large hole in the wall. For several minutes, all was silent. And then there was a knock at the door.

“Hello?” said the small voice from the other side of the door as the knocking continued. “Hello? Is anyone home?”

After a few more attempts, the knocking stopped.

“I guess not. Hmm... Ah-ha!”

There were some dragging noises, and then the sounds of the locks coming undone. Then the door opened, and a pale yellow fraggle with pink and blue hair strolled in, wearing a bright red t-shirt and carrying and large brown suitcase. (Large for her anyway) She raised her hand up and shook her head at the key in her hand.

“Leaving the key under the doormat. Geez, this guy’s practically BEGGING for a break-in.”

After walking in, she placed the key back under the mat where she’d found it, shut the door, and locked it back up.

“Now, let’s see. Have to make sure I’m in the right place.”

She pulled out the postcard Matt had given her with the address she was to go to. Then she spotted the mail up on the workbench. She climbed up onto the stool so she could look at the mail.

“Looks like the same address. Doc, huh? Hello...”
She spotted a postcard buried in the pile and pulled it out.

“Dear Nephew Gobo. Yep, this is the place alright. I’d better take this with me so I can give it to Gobo when I meet him. Now, let me see. I think Matt said something about a tunnel.”

She pocketed both postcards and hopped down from the stool. She looked around the workshop, immediately noting the various tools hung all across the workbench and the collection of discarded inventions strewn around the place.

“Yeesh, look at all this junk! This Doc guy must be some kind of crazy tinkerer or something. With someone like this living here, no wonder Matt called the humans ‘silly creatures’.”

She stopped when her foot bumped into a large yellow bowl labeled “Sprocket”.

“And a dog.”

Then she noted the large dog bed beside it.

“A very big dog. That must be our hairy monster.”

She turned around from the bed, and there in front of her was a fraggle-sized hole in the wall.

“And that must be the tunnel to Fraggle Rock.”

She stepped into the hole and slowly made her way down the tunnel.

“Hello?” she called, “Anyone there?”

Nothing came back but the echo of her own voice and the ringing of the pipes that decorated the walls of the tunnel. She kept walking, ducking under one of the overhanging pipes. If she kept going down the tunnel, she figured, she would eventually find someone.

Just a few minutes of walking, an already the scenery began to change. The pipes grew fewer in number, gradually replaced by vines and flowers. Eventually the tunnel began to spread out, splitting off in several directions. Stalagmites and stalactites, pillars and boulders, crevices, nooks, and cracks all in rocks of strange and beautiful colors.

And as she kept walking, she could feel a strange yet comfortable feeling. It was a feeling she’d never felt before. Something that was calling to her, feeling like it was flowing through her. Something new to her, and yet so familiar. The young fraggle, as she explored the cave, let this feeling surge through her and burst out in the best way that fraggles know how.

** (Goldie)
This is really something, almost like a dream.
Everything’s a wonder. Nothing’s what it seems.
Everywhere there’s something new for me to see.
Let me tell you, this is something strange to me.

The local cave creatures watched intently as she walked and sang, looking around at everything she passed.

(Goldie)
This is sort of different, almost too bizarre.
It’s too late to turn back cuz I’ve come too far.

(Goldie & Cave Creatures)
Everywhere there’s something more for me to see.

(Goldie)
I think I’ll be going. Please don’t follow me.

Goldie, nervous from having these strange little creatures join her in song, quickly ran down the next tunnel. She took a moment to catch her breath and look around for more strange creatures.

(Goldie)
That was kinda creepy. This is all too weird.
What are all these noises echoing in here?
Everywhere there’s something new for me to hear.
I don’t know where I am s’posed to go from here.

She stopped by a large rock, climbed on top of it, and sat down to rest, setting her suitcase down on top of her lap. The strange new feeling she felt began to slow down and fade, as if coming to the end of a song. As she sat there on that rock expressing her thoughts to herself, she came to a very odd realization.

Great, I think I’m lost now.... Why’m I still in song?
Okay, that can stop now. This has gone too long.
Everywhere there’s someplace new for me to roam.
Now I start to think I should’ve stayed at home.

She decided to just sit there for a while after that, arms crossed over her suitcase, not opening her mouth for anything. The last thing she wanted at the moment was to start another verse. How annoying, she thought. At this point, she could’ve cared less if she ever saw another fraggle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Song Credits:
- Fraggle Rock Theme
- This is Really Something – Based in the tune of “The Remembering Song” from the episode “Boober Rock”

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
You are a very good artist : ).
Oh, and you're a wonderful writer--not bad at all, dear!
Love the name...Gold Demona...huh.
So pretty!

I can't wait to see how the next chapter turns out!

Boppity

Reaction score
I read this on fanfiction.net and it's even better the second time around. :big_grin: I love the art, as well!

Pork

Reaction score
THis is a good story. I will be waiting for the next instalement.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
I was reading this story the other night before I went to bed, and it sounds really marvelous so far. I'd like to see where you're going with it. And, btw, your art looks REALLY good. In my opinion, your writing is just as great as your art. Me, personally, I couldn't draw if my life depended on it. LoL!

But, seriously, post more. I'd like to read more about this Fraggle From Outer Space. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... This was a great start. Thank you for sharing this, please post more as we're quite eager to find out what happens to Goldie next.
BTW: When I see your name, I keep thinking of the lead female villainess from Disney's Gargoyles but clad in some golden-plated costume.
Welcome to the forums and I hope to read more of your great fanfic.

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Hi... This was a great start. Thank you for sharing this, please post more as we're quite eager to find out what happens to Goldie next.
BTW: When I see your name, I keep thinking of the lead female villainess from Disney's Gargoyles but clad in some golden-plated costume.
Welcome to the forums and I hope to read more of your great fanfic.
LOL, funny you should say that, because that's kinda who the character of Gold Demona is based on, except not an evil so-and-so. She's a gargoyle, but for this forum I made my icon of her fraggle version.
I'd just finished writing Gold Demona's story just before I started writing this one.
I have it on my fanfiction.net account if you're interested. =)

Next chapter will be up here on Monday. :excited: