1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

FAO Schwartz: Muppet Whatnot Workshop coming October 22

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by TheCreatureWork, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

FAO Schwarz is opening up a Muppet building workshop- much like Build-A-Bear! Check out my posting:
    http://puppeteersunite.com/?p=848

What do you all think about this?

2. Toasty

Toasty New Member

I love it. That's a great idea to get kids and adults engaged with puppetry. I can still remember how excited I was when I got my first Fisher Price-produced Rowlf puppet. I can only imagine how I would have reacted back then if I had the option to design my own anything Muppet.

$100 may be a bit out of reach for the casual gift purchase, but that may actually be better in the long run. Hopefully the stock parts have decent material and build quality, and that they land on the waiting arms of those looking for a new (or better) way to express themselves to the world around them.

3. TheCreatureWork

I agree :)

4. TheCreatureWork

FAO Schwarz: Muppet Whatnot Workshop coming October 22

FAO Schwarz is planning to open a Whatnot Workshop- sort of like Build-A-Bear, where people can build their own Muppet. Check out my blog for more details:
    http://puppeteersunite.com/

This will be amazing!

5. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

I can understand the high cost, since FAO Schwartz isn't the Build A Bear Workshop. They are a high end department store that sells high quality merchandise. And while I couldn't see myself buying a leather jacket from them for a couple grand, I'd gladly purchase a build your own Muppet puppet for a hundred bones, since it's a rare commodity to us Muppet fans and is a sure bet for being top quality. Now I just hope these things will fit adult sized hands....

6. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Great blog entry! I can't wait! I just wish we had some photos of what their set-up and product will look like! Was the photo on your blog from the FAO Schwartz display?

7. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Oh, how I wish I lived in (or near) New York right now ;____;

8. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

But you can build one online and have it shipped to you! How cool is that?

9. MGov

MGov New Member

Great. Another NYC puppet job for Muppetinsider to complain about.

:p

Me? I would have jumped at this job when I lived in NYC.

10. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Really? :O Well, OK then. Time to start saving.

11. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

oh my gosh that sounds so cool , i can not wait
    i hope that i can go to NYC soon that would be so cool but i might have to do it online .:) It might be a long time before i getg to go there but we will either way i will save for it .

12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I can't believe it, that's incredible!

13. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

That seems extremely-amazingly-awesome! I'm just sad that I don't live near NY and probably won't be able to go there in the foreseeable future.

I hope people who do frequent NYC will take lots of pictures.

14. Jinx

Jinx Member

LOL!

I swore when I left retail 20 years ago I would never return. This is the first thing I've ever seen that would actually make me reconsider...

Now I just have to find a way back to NYC to get a few...

15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Kind of neat! I wouldn't mind having one of my own, either. :)

16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I am still wondering how Muppety these pieces will be? Will there be Gonzo-like noses, Piggy-like eyes, Animal-like eyebrows, Fozzie-like hats or Kermit-like collars? Will ostrich feathers be used in these? Will we be able to build something that can look kind of like Sam the Eagle or Beaker or will it be just the basic whatnot Muppet (like a Marvin Suggs) sort of base that can have eyes attached? What will the clothes be like? I wonder just how far down the Muppet trail these will actually go? :hungry: :attitude: :cool:

I plan to make an Electric Mayhem groupie/musician.

17. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

This sounds like a really great idea so far! Hope we get to see some of the results!

18. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Yes, this really does sound awesome!
    :D Definately saving up for! It won't actually be an operable puppet though, will it?
    I probably won't be doing it for a while, because of the price and the practicality of getting down there, but when I do, I'll definately have pictures!

19. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Yay! :D And the way they talk about it it is going to be a working puppet to..that is just fuzziness with a bag of chips :3!

20. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Definately something I am going to do. I would rather go to the shop in person rather than order online though. Anyway, great news. I don't think that there has ever been a Muppet exhibit since the mid-80's. (not counting the Sesame Street display) I give this new information three Kermit's. :):):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.