Farscape #1 sold out in five days; second printing on its way

dwmckim

Reaction score
The title says it all! Not only did the first issue of Farscape comics sell out, but it did so in only five days - Boom! Studios announced that it put its debut issue into a second printing.

I'm really happy about the book's success as its well deserved - not only does the comic series extend the Farscape canon right after where the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries left off (with series creator Rockne O'Bannon also helming the comic's stories), but it also makes the reader feel like they're watching an actual new episode - the art captures the characters/world perfectly (no stylistic liberties like the upcoming Muppet Show title will be taking!) and everything from the dialogue, plottwists, characterization, etc totally matches its onscreen counterpart. As had been reported, O'Bannon was excited at the opportunity to do a comic as it allowed him to tell stories that would have been too expensive to realize on film (yes, that means lots of Hynerians!)

My only complaints is that being a comic, one has to wait a month instead of a week between installments and even though the first issue packs a lot of stuff in it, it can't fit in as much stuff as a 44 minute tv episode could have, but i didn't feel unsatisfied.

The comic form is also a great way to introduce new fans to the Farscape universe, since readers can savor and re-read the books at their own pace where one of the common complaints of Farscape's 3rd and 4th season (and the miniseries which essentially squeezed a 22-season arc into three hours) was that it was hard for new viewers to catch up with everything. I strongly reccomend Henson fans to pick up a copy whether you're already a fan or still have yet to be initiated to the Farscape world!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm a fan of several comic books that it kills me waiting that extra month for the next issues!

I never saw the TV show or the movies as I don't have cable, and I haven't had time to see the DVDs; but, I did get the comic book just because. And I found it enjoyable. Apparently, the stories are good enough that they can stand alone and you don't have to see the series.

Whoever wrote the comic book, by doing this taks of making it a stand alone story, is a talented writer, and one who knows what he is supposed to be doing.